Great Surprise & Disappointment

I think you're trying to make too big a deal out of something that's not there because I don't recall 4-5 weeks of 100 degree weather in the spring. Sure there were a couple days but not weeks. The average temps in April and May hovered around the upper 80s and lower 90s with a few days here and there going into triple digits. The consistent hot weather didn't start here until after they were already on tour.

I don't buy this argument anyway. Every corps has it's hardships when dealing with weather. Take the Mandarins for example. Central Valley heat is no joy ride when all days come around.

The normal average high for San Antonio during the month of June is 91 degrees. The average high for San Antonio in June 2009 was 98.1 degrees.

So I can see how Xmen doing every days in that weather was killer.

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

10-22 God Bless the July Birthday!

What did you play in 1990? I think I may remember some real young members then? Were you in the pit? Did your dad march corps?

Did your dad march corps the same year as you?

Fixed. Inquiring minds need to know. :tongue:

The normal average high for San Antonio during the month of June is 91 degrees. The average high for San Antonio in June 2009 was 98.1 degrees.

So I can see how Xmen doing every days in that weather was killer.

Read what I said again...

The average temps in April and May hovered around the upper 80s and lower 90s with a few days here and there going into triple digits. The consistent hot weather didn't start here until after they were already on tour.

Yes, you and I both know that TX is sweltering in June. As well as AUG and SEP because that's summer! April and May aren't. xbones was trying to say that Crossmen spent the entire spring practicing in 100 degree weather. I was saying that they couldn't have. Since their first show was on June 25, I will say that they did have to spend some time in triple digits. But to say "the Crossmen practice in 100 degree temps during their ENTIRE spring training. That's 4-5 weeks of the stuff" is stretching the sympathy card just a bit far, IMO.

I'll repeat what I said earlier and then I'm done. I don't buy the "heat" argument because EVERY corps has to deal with it. It's not just a TX thing.

Here's a screen cap of the temperatures in San Antonio for the month of June. There was only one day that the temps were under 90 in June.

3746974139_2fc2fdf696_o.jpg

A study from the Journal of Health, Physical Education, and Recreation on synthetic fields has shown surface temperatures as much as 95 to 140 degrees Fahrenheit higher than natural grass. The Turf Temps during spring training were monitored on a daily basis and were over 100 and sometimes 125.

I'm not trying ot make excuses, I'm just telling you why I am happy Crossmen got to use the dome for practice. :thumbup: