San Antonio reflections

Spirit..........I thought they sold their program pretty well........I believe that the adjudication community does not believe the

program has much depth....I disagree.....I think not only is there some great impact in the brass, but some good

work stylisticly as well, with good use of bass guitar.........they are getting slammed a bit, and I am not sure why

Well put. :whistle:

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This might be the most ridiculous thing I've ever read on DCP, and that is saying a LOT! No corps is guaranteed a win finals night based on placements on previous shows. Ask 93 Star about that, where I believe the first show of the entire season they didn't win WAS finals night.

In 1993, Star beat Cadets the first two meetings; then they tied at Preview prelims. Star won Preview finals. One week later, Cadets won DATR and then Texarkana. Star won DCI Prelims; Cadets won Semis and Finals.

No corps has gone undefeated only to lose Finals. (Cavies beat BD last year at DCI East.)

Is therre somewhere in Vegas that you can place bets on DCI? Really, is there?

No corps has gone undefeated only to lose Finals. (Cavies beat BD last year at DCI East.)

Though there have been corps that have gone into Finals week undefeated only to find themselves in 3rd come Saturday night.

There's plenty of season left to go. In football terms, we're now in late November; the general outline of who's hot and who's not has been determined, but it's the December games that decide where the season is heading. Personally, I wouldn't bet against any of the top four currently ranked corps, since three of them have experience in winning nationals (including coming from behind to knock off an undefeated contender) and the 4th has a fair amount of momentum.

I'm just going to hit the top six:

BC - Good tonight and enjoyed the imagine theme. Horns were on tonight but just can't get over the thought of them being Blue Devil Clones. Sorry this just ticks in my mind when I see them. Need a new image to break away from this BD image issue (its my issue - not yours). Enjoyed the great horn line.

SCV - What a show! Thought they should have edged CC but not sure why the judges are not buying this production - simply art! OK do you want chairs, sewing tables, branches, (didn't someone have beds on the field for a while?), and blast in the face - this isn't your show but if you want want pure music and dance - this is the ticket! Interesting tid-bit, after watching all the corps that night when we were leaving the stadium through the crowds of people the lady behind me was humming Appalachian Spring, same thing happened in Dallas (what are the odds?). My dark horse for DCI!!!

CC - Good show but the horns weren't on tonight and the crowd picked up on this quick. They were better in Dallas but then again we were much closer to them in that venue. Theme is good and show is solid but they just seemed off tonight which seem to rub off on the crowd.

HNC - I LIKE EM!!! They had me from the first note. Maybe because I'm a sucker for West Side Story but I like the strength of their show both movement and musically. They have the tools to go all the way. They seemed like the only corps to get the crowd going tonight. Only seen them twice this year but they got me at hello!

Cavies - Technically I think they are peaking (sorry no pun) a little too soon. The show is not up to last year but solid and well done. The kids are awesome but don't think they have the right show to pull off DCI.

BD - By far the cleanest show of the night and deserved top honors. Full body and rich (like a good wine).

ITEMS I JUST HAVE TO SAY (OR PICK ON) FOR SA:

1. SINCE WHEN DO DRUM MAJORS NOT TAKE OFF THEIR HATS FOR THE NATIONAL ANTHEM OR STAND AT PARADE REST??? Dudes have some respect!

2. DRUM MAJORS - WHEN THE DUDE SAYS IS "YOUR CORPS READY FOR COMPETITION?" - SALUTE!!! (SOME OF THE CORPS DIDN'T SALUTE TO KNOW THE SHOW STARTED) THE START OF THE SHOW IS NOT A GUESSING GAME

:whistle:

Edited by amadorj

Hi,

I watched from last part of Pacific Crest on.....sorry to those on before.......I was traveling...........

Pacific Crest...........corps is competent and has some impact......some good potential, but this is a tough year.....

Crossmen..........I thought they performed pretty well.....however, I just don't believe the musical book makes it..........

for me, visual/guard and perc. are strength of program, but I see music pushing them into 17th at this point,

and I had them 17th......I had them very close to Academy, but I felt Spirit was much more solid musically...

Academy.........some strong impacts, and design is much better than last year and on par with 2007..........I thought that the

they were one of many hornlines to suffer from intonation issues....my guess is warming up in 100 degree

heat outside, then going into an air-conditioned dome and not re-tuning........show has potential.....

Spirit..........I thought they sold their program pretty well........I believe that the adjudication community does not believe the

program has much depth....I disagree.....I think not only is there some great impact in the brass, but some good

work stylisticly as well, with good use of bass guitar.........they are getting slammed a bit, and I am not sure why

Madison.....I thought that they were much better than they were in Denver....they have a demanding program, and probably

the most room for growth among those battling for the 12th spot............they are in the hunt.......

Troopers.....I feel this show is well written and effective....the great news for the Troop is they have no weak section, and

their best show in many a year.......good shot at finals this year, but not a lock yet......

Colts.........strong arrangements and an enjoyable package....another corps that suffered from intonation issues at times.....

overall, this show is still a solid contender for finals......we will see.......

Glassmen....................for me, this is the most over-rated corps in DCI. In percussion, visual, and guard, they are solid.

However, the brass book is quite weak from an arrangement standpoint. Music numbers, outside of percussion,

are a mystery to me. When everyone is executing, I not only do not see this show in finals, but they could fall

quite a bit..........

Blue Knights....clearly a step up from a quality of sound standpoint (hornline was quite powerful with better pitch)....they

have a solid visual package, and good caption balance.....how Glassmen beat them is quite a mystery.........

Boston........solid show which is very entertaining...........Samson and Delilah gets me every time.....they are competent in

all sections......it will be interesting to see what the potential is if they get it razor clean........

Phantom..........another corps that was significantly better tonight than last week, yet it didn't show in the score...

I agree it is not a title level show visually....however, the execution was much better tonight, and the guard was

working hard to communicate the program. However, musically, when on, this corps can hang with the very

best.....brass demand is top shelf, and this will be quite a line next month.....percussion also will compete for

the perc. title.....I think the visual dumping on them is a bit severe, and they are not getting credit for a quality

music program, especially music effect......I still see them with a shot at 6th by Indy on the strength of their

musical program..

Blue Stars....strength is overall package, visual, and guard.......brass and percussion are competent, but evident not at same

level as Phantom, but visual is......solid corps overall........

Bluecoats.......reminds me too much of another version of BD........middle of show lulls a bit effect-wise..........they are quite

competent in all segments, but the musical product doesn't move me as much as others......execution will be

very strong by Indy, though.....

SCV............I love this show....I think the arrangements are great, and the show flows.....I don't hear or see any real

weakness in this show, and there is room for growth performance-wise.....a darkhorse..........

Crown.........show is coming, yet I still think they can max out emotion more, especially the end........no weakness here,

either, and if they nail it, they can contend...............

Cadets..........visual demand and construction is 2nd to none, yet they are not getting full credit......yes, they are not quite

the cleanest yet, but judges are to judge WHAT and HOW, and I really do not feel in many places they are fully

considering the what......this show is really growing fast in effect and performance..........perc. scores

seem to be a tad low...........if they raise them and max out all other captions, they can win...........

Cavaliers.....I believe they play more than last year and some others.....visual is top shelf as always..........however, musical

show just doesn't have the emotion of other contenders, thus the effect numbers are a mystery........

whereas they will contend for high visual, they could finish as low as 6th or 7th in music, so I do not see them

any higher than 4th at finals, and perhaps as low as 7th..........

Devils...........the good news is they are performing at a high level.....the bad news is the show doesn't stack up against the

other contenders from a demand or effect standpoint....reminds me much of the "Yowza" show of 2005.......

I did not think brass quality of sound was great tonight....impact was....chair use throughout, for me, becomes

a cluttered distraction.........I see them being passed in the near future, and disagreed with their score/spread...

GB

Thanks for the great review!!

I watched this show from my laptop on Fan Network and I actually was quite impressed with my seat and viewing :) Here are some comments to piggy back off of yours:

Visually PR is a lot better than what people have been saying and giving them. They looked great in SA and by Indy I think their placement will be a lot higher than predicted.

I'm a huge fan of SCV, who btw have the best marching cymbols this past decade; those guys are absolutely amazing every year! Although I don't see this show winning champioships their name will be announced in a position that will surprise a few.

Why folks are picking Cavies to finish as low as 7th is a mystery to me. It may not be the show to win championships, but come-on; 7th?

I have loved Crowns show all year, the question is do they have enough to invite themselves into the the elite 3?

Holy Name Cadets!!!! Just absolutely crazy scary and when this show clicks where the adjudicators finally say to themselves, "holy ****", this show has championship written all over it.

What can I say about BD :) ? They are still quite bitter from last year and if one of the other contenders don't catch them prior to Indy I wouldn't want to be in BD's shoes come finals night. Can you say.....Deja Vu.

Irving

Fan of the Arts

Amidori

I agree. Complete lack of respect for both country and spectators. I don't normally say

anything. But this gets my goat. Show some respect and then acknowledge (sp?) the crowd for their

attendance.

>

1. SINCE WHEN DO DRUM MAJORS NOT TAKE OFF THEIR HATS FOR THE NATIONAL ANTHEM OR STAND AT PARADE REST??? Dudes have some respect!

2. DRUM MAJORS - WHEN THE DUDE SAYS IS "YOUR CORPS READY FOR COMPETITION?" - SALUTE!!! (SOME OF THE CORPS DIDN'T SALUTE TO KNOW THE SHOW STARTED) THE START OF THE SHOW IS NOT A GUESSING GAME

<

Draegor

The US flag code states that anyone in uniform is not to remove their hats at the playing of the national anthem or the presenting of the colors. To remove a uniforms hat would be disrespectful. You would never see anyone in military uniform remove their hats during the playing of the anthem.

Edited by slitzen62

The US flag code states that anyone in uniform is not to remove their hats at the playing of the national anthem or the presenting of the colors. To remove a uniforms hat would be disrespectful. You would never see anyone in military uniform remove their hats during the playing of the anthem.

Thanks slitzen 62 for your explaintion on uniform , i had forgot. Sorry. You

are correct.

But not acknowledging the crowd for being there by not recognizing their presence is

not acceptable. Thank them for being there and begin performace.

Draegor