San Antonio reflections

This might be the most ridiculous thing I've ever read on DCP, and that is saying a LOT! No corps is guaranteed a win finals night based on placements on previous shows. Ask 93 Star about that, where I believe the first show of the entire season they didn't win WAS finals night.

Star lost to Cadets in 93 before finals.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So I watched San Antonio on the web cast and then i watched it again today, and i was a little disppointed with BD. I think their show this year is cool. Maybe not my favorite show of this year, but one of my favorites. But I thought they were a little sloppy. Yeah there was a lot of clean things, but watching it again really surprised me. The 2nd trumpet solo at the beginning when he was sustaining the high note, he accidentally dropped into a different note at the end. Then there was an entrance when the whole brass came in and some of the trumpets were not even near the same note. It is another small thing but it really bugged me. And then there was a really important rifle toss that the guards did and one of the girls completely missed the throw and it landed 3 feet infront of her.

I understand it's really picky details i'm going at, but with those things in mind, how could BD have scored so much higher than Cavs? I thought the cavie show was actually pretty clean, and it was better than the last time i saw it. I'm not even a big cavie fan and i thought they were closer to BD than the scores showed. I just think BD got away with a lot more than they should have.

favorite shows of the night: Boston, SCV, HNC, and Cavies.

Can't wait for Atlanta. I want to see where HNC, Crown, and Phantom go.

Glassmen....................for me, this is the most over-rated corps in DCI. In percussion, visual, and guard, they are solid.

However, the brass book is quite weak from an arrangement standpoint. Music numbers, outside of percussion,

are a mystery to me. When everyone is executing, I not only do not see this show in finals, but they could fall

quite a bit..........

and how are they over-rated. everyone on here just sees them as an 11th place corps. over rated is people who place good one year and everyone saying how amazing they are. I only do see this show making finals but moving a up a place as well.

and how are they over-rated. everyone on here just sees them as an 11th place corps. over rated is people who place good one year and everyone saying how amazing they are. I only do see this show making finals but moving a up a place as well.

I agree. And as of this weekend they are not an 11th place corps.

Glassmen....................for me, this is the most over-rated corps in DCI. In percussion, visual, and guard, they are solid.

However, the brass book is quite weak from an arrangement standpoint. Music numbers, outside of percussion,

are a mystery to me. When everyone is executing, I not only do not see this show in finals, but they could fall

quite a bit..........

I might agree with you that the brass book is a weakness. But to believe that the Glassmen even when "everyone is executing" will not be in fnals and "could fall quite a bit" is unlikely.

Glassmen are showing every indication that they will be in finals.

One thing I've noticed about GB from his posting history, he will let his personal enjoyment of a corps' brass book influence how he thinks that corps should place overall. I'm not saying this to attack, or even say whether his approach is right or wrong, but recognizing this has helped me to understand and accept how he could suggest that the Cavaliers might finish as low as 7th. He's judging on his tastes, tastes which are quite different from mine, and apparently quite different from yours where the Glassmen are concerned.

One thing I've noticed about GB from his posting history, he will let his personal enjoyment of a corps' brass book influence how he thinks that corps should place overall. I'm not saying this to attack, or even say whether his approach is right or wrong, but recognizing this has helped me to understand and accept how he could suggest that the Cavaliers might finish as low as 7th. He's judging on his tastes, tastes which are quite different from mine, and apparently quite different from yours where the Glassmen are concerned.

That's fine. Personal tastes should be reflected in any statement concerning ones enjoyment of something. But to say a corps should rise or fall based on taste is a little off. The scores show otherwise. Oh well, to each his own.

I agree. And as of this weekend they are not an 11th place corps.

:doh:

Thanks for the great review!!

I watched this show from my laptop on Fan Network and I actually was quite impressed with my seat and viewing :) Here are some comments to piggy back off of yours:

Visually PR is a lot better than what people have been saying and giving them. They looked great in SA and by Indy I think their placement will be a lot higher than predicted.

I'm a huge fan of SCV, who btw have the best marching cymbols this past decade; those guys are absolutely amazing every year! Although I don't see this show winning champioships their name will be announced in a position that will surprise a few.

Why folks are picking Cavies to finish as low as 7th is a mystery to me. It may not be the show to win championships, but come-on; 7th?

I have loved Crowns show all year, the question is do they have enough to invite themselves into the the elite 3?

Holy Name Cadets!!!! Just absolutely crazy scary and when this show clicks where the adjudicators finally say to themselves, "holy ****", this show has championship written all over it.

What can I say about BD :) ? They are still quite bitter from last year and if one of the other contenders don't catch them prior to Indy I wouldn't want to be in BD's shoes come finals night. Can you say.....Deja Vu.

Irving

Fan of the Arts

ooooooooooooo, run for cover BD! :w00t: The scary people are coming............we wouldn't want to be in your shoes! oooooooooooo

You're bitter, you're losers, (OK so your running about 2 points ahead), but ooooooooooooo you're gonna get what's comin to you at finals! Can you say HOMER! :tongue::tongue:

What utter, complete drivel! :tongue:

The US flag code states that anyone in uniform is not to remove their hats at the playing of the national anthem or the presenting of the colors. To remove a uniforms hat would be disrespectful. You would never see anyone in military uniform remove their hats during the playing of the anthem.

OK - I can buy not taking off the hat but to stand at parade rest doesn't.

:tongue:

Edited by amadorj