Best single minute of drum corps

If you could pick one 60 second interval of music from any show throughout history, what would you choose as the best?

• Replies 174
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mine's just a personal reaction, but in 1994 on the day I got the audio cassettes, I started listening about 10 at night with headphones on and the volume cranked up.

There was one minute or so of the Blue Devil's show - from the middle to the end of the 2nd piece (from the plastic discs on the snares on to the end) that literally made my heart speed up, the hair on my arms stand on end, and I said to the world at large, "holy cow." Whether it was the fact I had the volume maxed in the headphones, or the corps, or the moment or whatever, I don't think I've ever had quite that reaction to a single part of a corps show since.

Mike

I can beat a minute. The best moment only lasted maybe about 3 seconds. (And this should come as no surprise :tongue: )

1985 Suncoast Sound- "The Lick"

The last minute of The Cavaliers' opener 1995, "Mars." Pure, raw slapdown. I turned to the wife of a DCI corps director and her jaw was dropped. I'll never forget her look. I then turned to someone else and they held up the "1" finger. That one minute was ground shaking in its intensity.

As mentioned before, the 1991 mirrored cross at the end of Star of Indiana's "Roman Images." I totally freaked when I saw it in Dallas.

Garfield Cadets' 1987 tag to "Appalachian Spring" after the dissolving/reappearing company front, when they went off to the back right of the field quietly and everyone around me was trying to keep everyone else quiet so they could hear the last few notes.

The build and big arc standstill hit in Phantom Regiment's Shostokovich "Symphony No. 5" in 1996. The power of the contras as they came into the arc rattled my bones.

The high stick drumming in Blue Devils' 1994 "My Spanish Heart." Let's take 30 seconds of that part and combine it with the quiet and tender ending. From pure aggression to the other side of the spectrum.

The very ending of Santa Clara Vanguard's 1989 version of "Phantom of the Opera." I turned to someone next to me after I saw it for the first time and stated, "That's all I want from drum corps."

The company front push Spirit of Atlanta's 1976 "Let It Be Me." The audience stood up at the beginning of the push and didn't sit down through the entire last minute of the show. I never witnessed that before or since.

The last moments of Troopers' 1979 DCI World prelims performance, where they came out of nowhere and hyped their way into finals. People around me were crying...and I am not making that up. It was one of those "you had to be there" moments. They dropped 4.0 at finals, but that wasn't a surprise as two of those performances was spectacularly unlikely.

The 1990 ending to Academie Musicale's "Young Sherlock Holmes" where the horns dissolved the final horn block, went off to the side and so imperceptibly made the transition from playing the horns to singing "ah" on the last sustained chord, one wasn't aware they were no longer playing their horns until they noticed all the horns were down at their side. Absolutely inspired. I was totally transfixed.

Ahhhhh, great memories.

Does DCA count? If so, another favorite minute... Michael Boo and his marvelous garden hose! :tongue:

Best impact/build up in my opinion...

CD was 1990 Star...from 3:15 to 4:01 of that show. My favorite tear your face off/horn chord/build up/throw babies on the field moment for me.

Live was 1995 Madison Scouts...end of their show was the craziest I have ever seen a drum corps crowd. Ever.