Best single minute of drum corps

You may or may not find it toward the end of a clips vid of that year :tongue:

I hate to be a stooge, but you know where you can watch all those shows? The DCI Fan Network. I've got a subscription, and every time I read these "favorite" threads, I can just zip over there and watch the show...it's pretty cool, you've got to admit.

DCI, where's my referral fee? :lol:

• Replies 174
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This may seem like an unlikely choice, but I'm going to say the percussion solo to the end of the chart in the '92 Crossmen show.

Good call. Bones' battery that year was a beast, especially the snare line. That remains one of my Top 5 all-time favorite percussion features in DCI. While it was weird seeing them place above both Vanguard AND Phantom, they earned it.

Was she REALLY? I know Suncoast used sign language in a number of their shows (83, 84, and 88 off the top of my head), but I had never heard she herself was.

I don't believe so, or at least I had never heard this.

I hate to be a stooge, but you know where you can watch all those shows? The DCI Fan Network. I've got a subscription, and every time I read these "favorite" threads, I can just zip over there and watch the show...it's pretty cool, you've got to admit.

DCI, where's my referral fee? :tongue:

Well YEAH, but that removes the thrill of the hunt! :lol:

DCI, where's my referral fee? :tongue:

I'll happily accept a donation so that I can enjoy that as well :-)

I'll just add another Star mention...1988: they hit some powerful chords throughout the show, but man they are putting out some sound at the end of Porgy and Bess. Do we even hear power chords like this anymore?

Goosebumps moments at:

1:06-1:22

5:10-5:20

10:15-10:26

10:39-end

Huge goosebumps moment:

10:27-10:38

Man, I miss those G bugles :tongue::lol: :lol:

At UB, a moment is singular and easy to define and recall

At Purdue, a moment is obviously plural and relatively obscure

You forgot Bluecoats 92 closer, push to the end chords! The Beatles!!!

Edited by wishbonecav

BD, Tommy 1990 last minute

Curt Gowdy: "The Blue Devils have changed the last minute of their show recently and it is really bringing the house down"

You said it!!

LOUD! OMG!

I'm surprised no one has mentioned the Santa Clara '99 opener: from the incredibly clean power chord at around 0:37, the difficulty of the brass "scattered pod" section, the serpentine form unwinding, the final wedge. Mysterious, powerful, maybe the best use of backfield sound ever, perfect featuring across the field -- and an electric crowd.

The last minute of Madison '88 (wow, the soul and passion of that perfect melli solo, then the spinning corps move, and the decelerando).

The extraordinary visual beauty of the last minute of Cadets 2000.

'87 Cadets exploding company front, to the end.

'88 SCV last minute -- INCREDIBLY loud reentrance of brass with the corps towards the back of the field, and then that angled company front with the extra musical count...

For visuals, '06 Cavies accelerating pinwheel thingie...

'86 Blue Devils last min. / 1.5 min. -- man, the sopranos nailed that!

Cadets '84: Barbara's solo, then the start of the closer. Best solo in DCI history, and best sudden contrast -- from tears-in-your-eyes beauty, to sudden pulsating excitement.

Just thought of another one. Cubano section in Cavies '04 show. Man I loved that part!

It looks like my topic is popular :tongue: