San Antonio Scortcher

A little background,

Ok, I decided to attend this show on a whim. My Senior/All age Corps was supposed to have a show in Illinios but that fell through.

Supplied with funds from my 2 week National Guard Annual Training, I headed to San Antonio with the Family in tow. Stopped Special T's in Wichita, KS to pick up my Sky Ryder Alumni shirts. I'm hopeful for a 2010 reunion show. Who knows.

Went to the Alamo to please the Family. They got really hot so we soaked up some AC at the Lone Star Cafe on the River Walk. This stuff is what convinced the Family to go along to a Drum Corps Show. (they are not really into the Music Marching Major League)

Da Show!

To put it mildly, the Family was pleased that the show was inside and to tell you the truth, the heat was giving me Operation Iraqi Freedom flashbacks.

I got cheap seats at 26 dollars each on the far right looking at the field. Pretty much even with the endzone. Not the best but interesting still.

As I was looking around the Stadium it kind of reminded me of an oversized School gymnasium ala WGI. Scarificed being outside but with the High temps it really was a blessing.

Revolution:score 74.50 An Open class corps that I have seen in KC a couple times. I like them but the kids were yawning.

Pioneer:score 69.80 I was wanting to see these this corps because one of my newer corps buds is their High Brass Tech. I was impressed with their improvement from past years. Their Horn Line found some gut and their Drum Line continues to be agressive and really good. I graded them two points higher than the judges. My kids were still at yawn phase though.

Mandarins:score 72.750 That's about the score I would have given them. They were better in SA than in Hutchinson. Their Color Guard performs better with no wind. I put them dead even with Pioneer. Kids still yawning.

Pacific Crest:score 73.050 I thought they were about as good as Mandarins. The kids giving me looks of why did you bring us here.

Spirit:score 75.150 The sound check stuff was supposed to be funny right? They had Spirit but not the Spirit I'm used to from the 80's when they kicked A__. The kids fell asleep to the sound of the Bass guitar.

The Academy:score 75.900 I was looking forward to finally seeing Academy live. I was dissapointed when they broke out the Cavalier Rope and started that accent. The Jupitor Horns didn't sound bad. I don't know how good the new Jupitor horns are but I've heard some people say they are cheap copies of Yamaha. Maybe if Jupitor gives me a free line of Marching Brass, I'll give an honest review on those for them. Kids did stir from their near slumber.

Crossmen:score 76.300 Now if the sight of Old Bones standing in the opposing stands didn't give you chills I don't know what would. This Crossmend Corps is a lot better than when they 1st made the move to Texas. They are almost back to where they belong with the total package.

The kids were totally awake at this point. Their interest sparked.

Madison Scouts:score 77.100 I don't know why everyone is seems to always be slaming the Scouts. I did see some early pics on DCP and was a little nervous about the show. I was pleasantly suprised. My boy thought the masked Mexican fighter was cool. I really like the Corps Uniforms and I think they are getting their swagger back. The kids are awake and are show lots of interest by this point.

Colts:score 79.100 The 1st time I saw this corps, they had 5 trap sets and wore riverboat gambler uniforms while playing Brass colored G Bugles. They did improve from the Hutchinson Show but I don't think they are that much better than the Scouts. The kids liked the show. My teen daughter said wow at some point during the show.

Troopers:score 79.600 Now I like the Troopers as they are kind of the difacto Local Corps of Kansas since all of our horses have gone to pasture. When I saw the show in Hutch, I giggled. "Western Side Story" Cute idea. I like them and they are better than 07 for sure but in my opinion, they are not better than Colts or the Scouts. the kids like the show and my daughter bought their T-shirt.

Blue Knights:score 81.800 The show fits the geographic location of the Corps. The Color Guard is easy on the eyes. They need to clean things up if they don't want Colts and Madison to destroy them at Finals. The kids liked the show.

Glassmen:score 82.200 They appeared strong to me. I saw them in Toledo in 85? When they were not a force yet. The Family like the show.

Boston Crusaders:score 84.200 Oh man, if they had G bugles the Stadium walls would have crumbled. This Corps woke the entire Family up.

I'm not usually a big fan but they rocked. I bet The BAC Horndoctor would have been out of control if he could have seen that performance. Family liked the show

Phantom Regiment:score 84.250 Man, what a difference a season makes. Their is no way they will bust out of 8th at this point. BAC might overtake them at finals. Family Like the show

Blue Stars:score 84.650 They are much better than they have been. Way too much stuff on the field. The couldn't hear what the man on the intercom was saying. Celebrating the WWII Factory Worker? OK I guess. My daughter liked the Color Guard in the different Military Branch Uniforms.

I'd nock them down a couple places in my ratings but they are a good Corps. Kept the interst of the kids

Bluecoats:score:86.500 The Family thought the corps was being booed so I explained they were being blued. I saw them in Hutch and thought they outplayed the Blue Devils. We had to leave early due to the late hour and didn't get to see the Devils so I don't know if this would still stand true in my mind. The one question I do have is the section of the show where the Color Guard is bothering the Drum Line and then steel their unifroms and and hold said uniform on sabres. It must be some show design secret.

Santa Claira Vanguard:score 89.150 I like the show. I saw this one from the upper level. Good as always.

Carolina Crown:score 89.150 I really like their Uniforms, I like the Green eventhough I don't know why they have Green. I like the presence they exude on the field and I think they are the next Phantom Regiment. I said this in '07 and got shouted down. I like and the Family likes 'em .

Holy Name Cadets:score 89.550 Holy freaking cow!!!! Now that's DRUM CORPS, FINALLY!!!!! I like seeing the Cadets doing what they do best, playing their A__ off and not being interupted by some stupid voices on mics. This is what Drum Corps is supposed to be Powerful!!!! They may take that Hill at Finals. I also saw this from the upper seats while talking to an fellow Sky Rydr Alumni.

The Cavaliers:score 89.750 They must be hard up stealing their show theme from a newby Corps like Academy. :tongue::tongue: I jest, I think. They have powerful horns but I wish they had a better show idea. It looks kinda like Bluecoats '07. They are probably going to fall of the mountain at finals. Didn't see the show but didn't really feel I needed to. I'm sure my daughter would have like the show.

Blue Devils:score 91.400 They are peeking too early and I don't think they will last. I really thought Bluecoats outplayed them in Hutch and I'm sticking to that. Holy Name and Carolina are smokin and I really thing the Devils may find themselves in 4th or 5th. Hey just my opinion. I didn't see this one either. I have a feeling there were a lot of chairs on the field. The show would have still entertained the Family.

There was lots of good Drum Corps at San Antonio. It appears to me that the electronics is kinda losing due to their lack of incorporation. I know the pits are electrified but it seems the better corps are backing off from the full use of voices and over the top tasteless electronic fair.

I dare someone to use G Bugle next year. Hey some corps are using Jupitor Brass this year. Shouldn't be much quality difference.

I hope I can see quarters at the theater August 6th.

Edited by Kansan

A little background,

Ok, I decided to attend this show on a whim. My Senior/All age Corps was supposed to have a show in Illinios but that fell through.

Supplied with funds from my 2 week National Guard Annual Training, I headed to San Antonio with the Family in tow. Stopped Special T's in Wichita, KS to pick up my Sky Ryder Alumni shirts. I'm hopeful for a 2010 reunion show. Who knows.

Went to the Alamo to please the Family. They got really hot so we soaked up some AC at the Lone Star Cafe on the River Walk. This stuff is what convinced the Family to go along to a Drum Corps Show. (they are not really into the Music Marching Major League)

Da Show!

To put it mildly, the Family was pleased that the show was inside and to tell you the truth, the heat was giving me Operation Iraqi Freedom flashbacks.

I got cheap seats at 26 dollars each on the far right looking at the field. Pretty much even with the endzone. Not the best but interesting still.

As I was looking around the Stadium it kind of reminded me of an oversized School gymnasium ala WGI. Scarificed being outside but with the High temps it really was a blessing.

Revolution:score 74.50 An Open class corps that I have seen in KC a couple times. I like them but the kids were yawning.

Pioneer:score 69.80 I was wanting to see these this corps because one of my newer corps buds is their High Brass Tech. I was impressed with their improvement from past years. Their Horn Line found some gut and their Drum Line continues to be agressive and really good. I graded them two points higher than the judges. My kids were still at yawn phase though.

Mandarins:score 72.750 That's about the score I would have given them. They were better in SA than in Hutchinson. Their Color Guard performs better with no wind. I put them dead even with Pioneer. Kids still yawning.

Pacific Crest:score 73.050 I thought they were about as good as Mandarins. The kids giving me looks of why did you bring us here.

Spirit:score 75.150 The sound check stuff was supposed to be funny right? They had Spirit but not the Spirit I'm used to from the 80's when they kicked A__. The kids fell asleep to the sound of the Bass guitar.

The Academy:score 75.900 I was looking forward to finally seeing Academy live. I was dissapointed when they broke out the Cavalier Rope and started that accent. The Jupitor Horns didn't sound bad. I don't know how good the new Jupitor horns are but I've heard some people say they are cheap copies of Yamaha. Maybe if Jupitor gives me a free line of Marching Brass, I'll give an honest review on those for them. Kids did stir from their near slumber.

Crossmen:score 76.300 Now if the sight of Old Bones standing in the opposing stands didn't give you chills I don't know what would. This Crossmend Corps is a lot better than when they 1st made the move to Texas. They are almost back to where they belong with the total package.

The kids were totally awake at this point. Their interest sparked.

Madison Scouts:score 77.100 I don't know why everyone is seems to always be slaming the Scouts. I did see some early pics on DCP and was a little nervous about the show. I was pleasantly suprised. My boy thought the masked Mexican fighter was cool. I really like the Corps Uniforms and I think they are getting their swagger back. The kids are awake and are show lots of interest by this point.

Colts:score 79.100 The 1st time I saw this corps, they had 5 trap sets and wore riverboat gambler uniforms while playing Brass colored G Bugles. They did improve from the Hutchinson Show but I don't think they are that much better than the Scouts. The kids liked the show. My teen daughter said wow at some point during the show.

Troopers:score 79.600 Now I like the Troopers as they are kind of the difacto Local Corps of Kansas since all of our horses have gone to pasture. When I saw the show in Hutch, I giggled. "Western Side Story" Cute idea. I like them and they are better than 07 for sure but in my opinion, they are not better than Colts or the Scouts. the kids like the show and my daughter bought their T-shirt.

Blue Knights:score 81.800 The show fits the geographic location of the Corps. The Color Guard is easy on the eyes. They need to clean things up if they don't want Colts and Madison to destroy them at Finals. The kids liked the show.

Glassmen:score 82.200 They appeared strong to me. I saw them in Toledo in 85? When they were not a force yet. The Family like the show.

Boston Crusaders:score 84.200 Oh man, if they had G bugles the Stadium walls would have crumbled. This Corps woke the entire Family up.

I'm not usually a big fan but they rocked. I bet The BAC Horndoctor would have been out of control if he could have seen that performance. Family liked the show

Phantom Regiment:score 84.250 Man, what a difference a season makes. Their is no way they will bust out of 8th at this point. BAC might overtake them at finals. Family Like the show

Blue Stars:score 84.650 They are much better than they have been. Way too much stuff on the field. The couldn't hear what the man on the intercom was saying. Celebrating the WWII Factory Worker? OK I guess. My daughter liked the Color Guard in the different Military Branch Uniforms.

I'd nock them down a couple places in my ratings but they are a good Corps. Kept the interst of the kids

Bluecoats:score:86.500 The Family thought the corps was being booed so I explained they were being blued. I saw them in Hutch and thought they outplayed the Blue Devils. We had to leave early due to the late hour and didn't get to see the Devils so I don't know if this would still stand true in my mind. The one question I do have is the section of the show where the Color Guard is bothering the Drum Line and then steel their unifroms and and hold said uniform on sabres. It must be some show design secret.

Santa Claira Vanguard:score 89.150 I like the show. I saw this one from the upper level. Good as always.

Carolina Crown:score 89.150 I really like their Uniforms, I like the Green eventhough I don't know why they have Green. I like the presence they exude on the field and I think they are the next Phantom Regiment. I said this in '07 and got shouted down. I like and the Family likes 'em .

Holy Name Cadets:score 89.550 Holy freaking cow!!!! Now that's DRUM CORPS, FINALLY!!!!! I like seeing the Cadets doing what they do best, playing their A__ off and not being interupted by some stupid voices on mics. This is what Drum Corps is supposed to be Powerful!!!! They may take that Hill at Finals. I also saw this from the upper seats while talking to an fellow Sky Rydr Alumni.

The Cavaliers:score 89.750 They must be hard up stealing their show theme from a newby Corps like Academy. :doh::doh: I jest, I think. They have powerful horns but I wish they had a better show idea. It looks kinda like Bluecoats '07. They are probably going to fall of the mountain at finals. Didn't see the show but didn't really feel I needed to. I'm sure my daughter would have like the show.

Blue Devils:score 91.400 They are peeking too early and I don't think they will last. I really thought Bluecoats outplayed them in Hutch and I'm sticking to that. Holy Name and Carolina are smokin and I really thing the Devils may find themselves in 4th or 5th. Hey just my opinion. I didn't see this one either. I have a feeling there were a lot of chairs on the field. The show would have still entertained the Family.

There was lots of good Drum Corps at San Antonio. It appears to me that the electronics is kinda losing due to their lack of incorporation. I know the pits are electrified but it seems the better corps are backing off from the full use of voices and over the top tasteless electronic fair.

I dare someone to use G Bugle next year. Hey some corps are using Jupitor Brass this year. Shouldn't be much quality difference.

I hope I can see quarters at the theater August 6th.

Hi,

According to the show designer, the section of the Bluecoats show you were talking about is supposed to be about the guard convincing the "Last Bastion(the drummers) of rigid conformism" of the corps to open up to the world of imagination and possiblity. Some of these ideas are really interesting, but they require some explaination, just as viewing some paintings require study for a complete understanding.

Hi,

According to the show designer, the section of the Bluecoats show you were talking about is supposed to be about the guard convincing the "Last Bastion(the drummers) of rigid conformism" of the corps to open up to the world of imagination and possiblity. Some of these ideas are really interesting, but they require some explaination, just as viewing some paintings require study for a complete understanding.

I'm sure.

I actually talked with a corps member when they had a rehearsal day in our area and he wouldn't give any explanation as to what that little acting part was. It was some kind of secret at the time.

I was thinking the show had something to do with freeing ones self because the Horn Line opened up a lot after the unis came off.

I like the show it's just a little on the "long haired" side of things.

Look at the Cadets show and you'll see the simple forceful drum corps stuff I like the most.

That's pretty funny considering the corps I marched with and our Color guard Based shows.

Hi,

Art is subjective; wasn't there an uprising when DCI (rather than playing to the audience) was---like those paintings---making us put our hand on our chin and having to interpret what we saw in order to "like" it?

I remember when the Bluecoats were in it solely for the crowd and NOT to one-up their design neighbors. "Last bastion of rigid conformism." Talk about selling out.

Art is subjective; wasn't there an uprising when DCI (rather than playing to the audience) was---like those paintings---making us put our hand on our chin and having to interpret what we saw in order to "like" it?

I remember when the Bluecoats were in it solely for the crowd and NOT to one-up their design neighbors. "Last bastion of rigid conformism." Talk about selling out.

In all seriousness...Please tell me what this means in english? I think it is above my head.

Edited by Liahona

In all seriousness...Please tell me what this means in english? I think it is above my head.

Play soft, play LOUD, play slow, play fast, play in tune and most of all STAY IN STEP. There. That's all the explanation drum corps should need. Why do we always seem to NEED the show "explained" to us. If you perform well, us 6th grade educated morons will get it. :doh:

Edited by KemoLondon

The bottom line is that art doesn't require a full understanding to appreciated it. I didn't understand it completely before his explaination, but I still enjoyed it.

The Bluecoats need to compete on this "creative complexity" front as well if they are going to keep pace or rise any further in the ranks.

I also strongly disagree there is nothing for the crowd in the Bluecoats show, how can you even say that? The music is great, the performances are first rate.

I like the Bluecoats Horn Line this year and think they are really strong.

The only part of the show that bothers me is the touchy feely part.

The spandex cloud shirts look a little fem as well.

If you ask me, I think the corps are doing well but many of them are playing stuff that's not readly recognizeable. They are mostly playing to the Judges who get paid to be their instead of playing to the audience who does pay to be there.

I still like the shows enough to enjoy them and I do appreciate the corps that didn't go overboard with the electronics.

Drill design:

It seems we need some new drill design ideas to shake things up a bit. I noticed lots of rotating box drills which are OK but when you see more than half doing pretty much the same thing, it gets a little old.

I did like to see points in the shows where the Horn Lines were allowed to stand and play in place and the company fronts with looud playing never seems to get old, probably because that part is for the crowd.

Edited by Kansan

I like the Bluecoats Horn Line this year and think they are really strong.

The only part of the show that bothers me is the touchy feely part.

The spandex cloud shirts look a little fem as well.

If you ask me, I think the corps are doing well but many of them are playing stuff that's not readly recognizeable. They are mostly playing to the Judges who get paid to be their instead of playing to the audience who does pay to be there.

I still like the shows enough to enjoy them and I do appreciate the corps that didn't go overboard with the electronics.

Drill design:

It seems we need some new drill design ideas to shake things up a bit. I noticed lots of rotating box drills which are OK but when you see more than half doing pretty much the same thing, it gets a little old.

I did like to see points in the shows where the Horn Lines were allowed to stand and play in place and the company fronts with looud playing never seems to get old, probably because that part is for the crowd.

Fixed! Thank you.

Remember when it used to be about repertoire? "Did you hear what _____ is playing?" Now, at Thanksgiving, we get the big announcements of these magical, mystical themes and ask, "What does that mean?"

I remember GH explaining Garfield's 1985 production: creation and destruction. Yeah yeah, Bernstein was "young and angry" when he wrote Jeremiah, but without talent (and Candide), that show would have been hopeless. The only persons interested in "creation and destruction" were George Zingali and the GE Visual judges. We got form, field coverage and speed. Audiences didn't care when a form was torn down or whatever.

Many, MANY musical/visual innovations and state-of-the-art designs are great enough for mass appeal. I guess I'm under the assumption that a certain revenue comes from people who aren't at dci.com every day and just want a nice night for the eyes/ears. If DCI loses that $, it sinks. We may not see this as a Big Business, but it is...and it needs our revenue to survive. No government funds can help --- unless we're willing to lose the tradition of Cavies/Scouts.

I'm not criticizing the 'Coats' entertainment value this year. They were always a holdout from all of this non-tangible Like It Because We Say So.

Edited by Swine