Will any World Class Corps ever go back to G bugles?

Doubt they will switch... unlike percussion... you guys don't need to learn a new instrument... for the brass players playing in G while sounded great (too me) kept the progress of the corps down because unless the members can take the equipment home they can't really practice... Plus if they are in school doing band they have to relearn a new embouchure just for a weekend at camps and then repeat every month until move ins...

Not to agree or disagree...just to comment…Having played a two-valve bugle for corps in the early nineties ...for me anyway...I really did not find a difference in terms of learning a new instrument. I would compare changing to playing a "C" trumpet ... fingering is the same…Pitch/tone is just different...if you have a good ear it is not much of an adjustment..."G" bugles felt like a more aggressive instrument though...

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Also, here's another question I have always had about G lines:

So now we have trumpets and baritones in Bb an octave apart with mellos in the middle in the key of F. With all G bugles, mellos could not have been in the middle..... Were they pitched in the exact same octave as the sopranos?

That seems like a good question, but what do I know.

Also, what kind of horns did Star use? Kings?

Then why does it seem like most people agree that the multi-key horns sound warmer and darker?

Add me to that list.

Not to agree or disagree...just to comment…Having played a two-valve bugle for corps in the early nineties ...for me anyway...I really did not find a difference in terms of learning a new instrument. I would compare changing to playing a "C" trumpet ... fingering is the same…Pitch/tone is just different...if you have a good ear it is not much of an adjustment..."G" bugles felt like a more aggressive instrument though...

This.

good god, let's hope not.

bugles were awful.

Bb horns are musical instruments.

Hmmm, is that the "musical" erudite view, then? The people who like G bugles don't understand what real musical instruments sound like?

What is your experience with G bugles versus "musical instruments?"

Here's another question I have:

For G horns, were they all transposing instruments, or were the sopranos and mellos transposing and the low brass were concert key and had to learn a different fingering system? For those who don't know.... the way it is now... trumpets, baris and tubas are all pitched in Bb.... where if they play their first harmonic with no valves pushed down, the note Bb will sound... The low brass are concert instruments and would actually call that note a Bb, but the trumpets are transposing instruments, so they call that note their "C." How was it with "G" lines?

G mellophones and G sopranos are the same octave. No real middle voice, just a different sonud.

I don't buy into the fact that you have to change a whole bunch of stuff to switch between playing Bb and G. Take 5 seconds and play C E G C and get your ear in tune to your instrument and you are fine. I've done it since I was 12 and I've never had a problem. Used to play in band all week and drum corps on the weekends.

good god, let's hope not.

bugles were awful.

Bb horns are musical instruments.

What about current G horns? (Which is actually On-Topic)

Edited by JimF-3rdBari