All-Time BEST All-Girl Corps

Best All-Girl Corps 1970's to Present  

84 members have voted

1. 1. In your opinion, who was the best All-Girls Corps in Drum Corps 1970's to present

• Audobon Bon Bons
    • St. Ignatius Girls
    • Mello Dears
    • CapitolAires
    • Ventures
    • Bandettes
    • Royaleers
    • Fire-ettes
    • Nee Hi's
    • Joan-ettes
    • Jean-ettes
    • C.D. of A.
    • St. John's Girls
    • Les Chatelaines

I agree with ironlips - definitely ND Ettes were a force .... strong contenders back in the heyday of All Girls Corps. Growing up in the All Girls scene there were certrain corps you looked forward to meeting up with as strong competition.... They were one.

Also every year at the end of the 60s early 70s at Canadian Nationals more and more all girl power houses came forward out of Quebec to vie for the All Girls Canadian title. Corps that really didn't tour the US but we knew them well in Canada... Les Marionnettes de Montmagny, Les Cavalieres, Les Marquis d'Auteil de Laval, Les Laurentiennes de Montreal Nord to name a few and not to exclude in the earlier 60s... Marching Angels and the Lionettes. The Quebec girls came out of the gate ready for business.

I must agree though that the top of the heap back in that day were the Bon Bons or Les Bon Bons.

I’m guessing there may have been more all girls corps from Quebec late 1960’s - early 1970’s than all other provinces in the rest of Canada combined.

1969-09-06-a.jpg

Partial list of all girls corps from Ontario and Quebec not listed above

Bandettes

Belles of St. Johns

Durham Girls

Les Marionettes de Montmagny

Sarnia Lionettes

Ventures

All girl corps from Alberta

Alberta All Girls

Calgary Red and White Aires

Edmonton Girls Marching Ambassadors

btw Wendy, I didn't vote, conflict of interest situation; lack of objectivity, I'll send you a PM ;-)

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I believe St. John's closer that year was "MacNamara's Band".

MacNamara's Band....

"Oh the drums go bang and the cymbals clang and the horns they blare away

The (insert corps name here) are on the line, the judge they had to pay

Now the (repeat corps name) they suck, they know it well, the judges know it too,

But what the hell do they care, they gave them a 92....."

:blink:

Ah - old corps songs. They never get old.....

I voted for St. Ignatius. I'm not saying that they were the best all-girl corps ever - only that they were the best that I'd ever seen.

I voted for St. Ignatius. I'm not saying that they were the best all-girl corps ever - only that they were the best that I'd ever seen.

Not because of Hy or Carmen or Johnny Oddo and Jim Drost or because we all thought of them as our true sister corps - no St. Ignatius was not the best ever - but during the seventies yep!

AllFormerIslanders.jpg

And these folks are not talking about $5 foot longs ...

Puppet

modern history would have to be Ventures --

won class A in 89, placed 22nd overall that year.

won class A in 90, placed 20th overall that year.

Ted

Welcome to DCP Ted. Nice first post! :thumbup:

From Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=2339808518

The Ventures Drum & Bugle Corps was formed in the fall of 1972 by the late Peter Vanderkolff at the request of the Chief of Police who wanted a youth activity for young women. Originally the Ventures wore gold dresses and became affectionately known as "The Ladies In Gold". The nickname held a special meaning for each member and a definition respected by all. Since that first season thousands of young ladies have experienced the joys of belonging to the Venture program. Even though the uniform has changed many times over the years, the dedication, desire, spirit and pride retains the "Ladies Of Gold" as a unique and appealing unit.

Ventures have always been known as trendsetters in the drum corps activity. In 1984 they became the first unit to place their entire percussion ensemble in the front pit area. This revolutionary idea paved the way for a more musical approch to percussion writing and expanded new percussion sounds not previously heard within a drum corps atmosphere. The Ventures were also the first corps to adopt uniform changes within a performance with the multi-colored ponchos, which were removed layer by layer. The use of pennants and a large painted tarp for "Suite Earth" were other Venture innovations.

One of the most successful drum corps in history the Ventures won the DCI World Championships in the class "A" division 5 times! They are also the only corps in history to win both the "All Girl" and "A" Class title at the same time in 1980. In 1986 the Ventures made history again when they became the first all girl corps to place in DCIs prestigious Top 25.

In 1981 a feeder unit for the corps was established in the form of a baton corps. Within two years the baton unit evolved into a winter color guard program for girls between the ages of 7 and 12. This junior guard program proved highly successful both competitively as well as graduating many members into the drum corps.

Change came about in January of 1995 when the board of directors made the agonizing decision to suspend operations of the drum corps. Like other drum corps of the time, Ventures were faced with the two-fold challenge of finding enough girls to fill the ranks as well as increased operating costs. The resolution was to find all existing members placement with another local drum corps, The Kiwanis Kavaliers, as well as to continue the operation of the organization as a winter guard enterprise.

The junior guard program was firmly in place and the organization now added a senior program for older members. The philosophy of the Ventures has been to grow at a slow, steady pace. As the age and maturity of the Ventures increases, so does the program. With 12 Provincial and 8 Northeast Guard Circuit titles, WGI Regional finalists 16 times, and WGI A Class Finalists in 2001, 2002, 2004 and 2005. The Ventures Winter Guards have firmly established their name.

• 2 weeks later...

And lest we forget. The NDettes took the All girl World Open Championship in 1969 as well. They placed 13th in overall score.

Check it out.

http://www.corpsreps.com/scores.cfm?view=s...;showid=1969103

For some younger DCPers, the Troopers won the show with an 81.+. This was when the 'tic' was king and went to the individual performer. For instance, there was a subcaption on the "M&M" sheet called "Heels". If they were not together? TIC! If they were not spread exactly the same? TIC!! Music captions were similar in going to the individual player. The system made for lower scores. BTW, Notre Dame could march with the best of them.

Yeah, the NDettes should be included.

Can't seem to find a recap of this show. Besides the Troopers, there are some other current corps who competed in this show. Be interesting to see.

Edit: added wish.

Edited by Mellofello01