Is it safe ?

A review of a DCI show? Yes, I'd say it's pretty on-topic for this forum. Why wouldn't it be?

No, I am not the moderator who moved this thread. But had I gotten to it first, I would have.

Humor? Sarcasm? I didn't see any in what you said. In fact, you keep defending your post, suggesting that you meant every word of it.

Ohhhhhhh, a new player to the game ? :thumbup:

Did you never hear of Momus, the Greek god of censure and mockery ? Alas, even us uneducated people of New Orleans understand the truth of what Momus does no matter if in actions or the spoken word. I defend the fact that it was posted where humor and sarcasm runs amuck on DCP, in the OFF TOPIC section where people are not as easily offended and is kept out of sight of many posters so that it can be enjoyed as more of an entertainment via sarcasm as opposed to possibly hurting kids feelings or those band parents so quick to defend their own ( which I DO admire even if they miss the point often ).

But, since you don't seem to understand, or maybe we have differing concepts as to the proper definitions of certain words, let me help you by adding the following:

1 results for: sarcasm

sarcasm | noun

Main Entry: sarcasm !s@r-+ka-zum

Pronunciation: \ ˈsär-ˌka-zəm \

Function: noun

Etymology: French or Late Latin; French sarcasme, from Late Latin sarcasmos, from Greek sarkasmos, from sarkazein to tear flesh, bite the lips in rage, sneer, from sark-, sarx flesh; probably akin to Avestan thwarəs- to cut

Date: 1550

Results

1. 1 a sharp and often satirical or ironic utterance designed to cut or give pain

2 a. 2 a a mode of satirical wit depending for its effect on bitter, caustic, and often ironic language that is usually directed against an individual b. b the use or language of sarcasm :w00t:

5 results for: humor

humor | nounhumor | transitive verbaqueous humor | noungallows humor | nounvitreous humor | noun

Main Entry: humor !hyU-mur

Pronunciation: \ ˈhyü-mər, ˈyü- \

Function: noun

Etymology: Middle English humour, from Anglo-French umor, umour, from Medieval Latin & Latin; Medieval Latin humor, from Latin humor, umor moisture; akin to Old Norse vǫkr damp, Latin humēre to be moist, and perhaps to Greek hygros wet

Date: 14th century

Results

1 a. 1 a a normal functioning bodily semifluid or fluid (as the blood or lymph) b. b a secretion (as a hormone) that is an excitant of activity

2 a. 2 a in medieval physiology a fluid or juice of an animal or plant specifically one of the four fluids entering into the constitution of the body and determining by their relative proportions a person's health and temperament b. b characteristic or habitual disposition or bent : temperament - of cheerful humor c. c an often temporary state of mind imposed especially by circumstances - was in no humor to listen d. d a sudden, unpredictable, or unreasoning inclination : whim - the uncertain humors of nature

3 a. 3 a that quality which appeals to a sense of the ludicrous or absurdly incongruous b. b the mental faculty of discovering, expressing, or appreciating the ludicrous or absurdly incongruous c. c something that is or is designed to be comical or amusing :devil:

Hopefully, NOW, you understand. :devil: But if you don't, I'll be more than happy to explain further. Heck, I'll even buy you a pretzel or two !

Thanks for playing

As always, trying to play by the rules. :w00t:

the OTHER Mike

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know the definition of humor. I know the definition of sarcasm. I still find neither in what you said. In fact, go back and read your original post. You explicitly stated that you call them as you them; doesn't sound like an attempt at sarcasm to me. It seems pretty clear, to me and others, that you were posting what you really felt, and did so in what you knew to be the wrong forum just so you wouldn't be called out for it - the reason it's clear is because you admitted to this yourself in the third paragraph. Now it's been moved to the correct forum, you're being called out for it, and you're trying to backtrack. If it makes you feel better to do so then have at it, but don't underestimate your readers. We know better.

I know the definition of humor. I know the definition of sarcasm. I still find neither in what you said. In fact, go back and read your original post. You explicitly stated that you call them as you them; doesn't sound like an attempt at sarcasm to me. It seems pretty clear, to me and others, that you were posting what you really felt, and did so in what you knew to be the wrong forum just so you wouldn't be called out for it - the reason it's clear is because you admitted to this yourself in the third paragraph. Now it's been moved to the correct forum, you're being called out for it, and you're trying to backtrack. If it makes you feel better to do so then have at it, but don't underestimate your readers. We know better.

The original post was in OFF TOPIC. I don't feel it was a review since I only commented on sarcastic and humorious thoughts that popped into my mind regarding those shows. I didn't bother breaking down drill, guard, music book or percussion books to make a serious "REVIEW" worthy of posting in the review section since there are so many OTHER know it alls on DCP. Had I written "commentary" instead of review would it still have been moved ? I want to play by the rules but I find it hard to follow the logic of most moderators.

Yes, I did post what I really felt but it was done with sarcasm. Where do you get the idea that sarcasm is NOT truthful ? Sarcasm is truth to the point it hurts, but neverless, it's the truth. To think that somehow sarcasm is lying, or in some way NOT the truth is beyond me.........but hey, you are the moderator, right ?

By the way, is it still a fact that OFF TOPIC is a section not open( or visable ) to everyone ? Must you still ask permission or ask to be "allowed" to see it ? Strange. I put it there for a reason yet someone decided it should be moved to the public ? How logical, should I worry about PM's ?

Interesting logic. Have we now moved far enough OFF TOPIC for it to go back to the off topic section or will I get a warning about posting off topic to my own off topic thread ? ( a little sarcasm about the logic around here, as a fact )

Now the REAL questions are:

1) who jumps in on defense to try and defend moving a pointless thread from semi private to public?

2) who becomes personally insulted and forgets their nutrual position as governing and takes it to a personal level.....which it slowley is heading to ?

3) why would a thread this unimportant get so much attention unless .....(oops, better not say that)

4) who's the two pretzel corps tonight ?

Is it safe to share my feelings regarding San Antoino ? Well, it should be ok since all the groups I saw were marching bands and not drum corps, so, it really is OFF TOPIC.

Domes suck, DOMES SUCK ( come on, everyone all together now )

I don't dare post this in the main area for fear of being lambasted by the band parents and the " stop picking on the kids" groups....................BUT, last year ( overall) I was pleasently surprized by the overall entertainment value of many corps errrrr ummm BANDS shows.

Those of you who know me know, I have a hard time sugar coating anything and I calls em as I sees em.

So heres my condensed thoughts on corps in no order:

HOLY COW, look at THAT. I'm glad I went back to reread it.

IT DOESN"T SAY ANYTHING ABOUT A REVIEW !!!!!!!!!!!!!

I asked if it was safe to "share my feelings" !

Once again proving my point that a "moderator" took it upon themselves to judge that MY feelings were a review when indeed they were NOT.

Like I asked, should I worry about PM's being made public ?

Game

set

match

In before the close

Fine, I'll call your bluff. If it's not a review, then would you prefer that I move it to the World Class forum, where there's even more traffic?

I thought the stadium in Indy had a removable dome, so it could be all-weather. Have they specifically said they'll keep the dome closed for DCI?

It will more than likely be closed for all three nights of World Champs because per Dci, if it is closed for one of the 3 nights, it should be closed for all to provide an equivalent acoustic sound stage.

:thumbup:

The original post was in OFF TOPIC. I don't feel it was a review since I only commented on sarcastic and humorious thoughts that popped into my mind regarding those shows. I didn't bother breaking down drill, guard, music book or percussion books to make a serious "REVIEW" worthy of posting in the review section since there are so many OTHER know it alls on DCP. Had I written "commentary" instead of review would it still have been moved ? I want to play by the rules but I find it hard to follow the logic of most moderators.

Yes, I did post what I really felt but it was done with sarcasm. Where do you get the idea that sarcasm is NOT truthful ? Sarcasm is truth to the point it hurts, but neverless, it's the truth. To think that somehow sarcasm is lying, or in some way NOT the truth is beyond me.........but hey, you are the moderator, right ?

By the way, is it still a fact that OFF TOPIC is a section not open( or visable ) to everyone ? Must you still ask permission or ask to be "allowed" to see it ? Strange. I put it there for a reason yet someone decided it should be moved to the public ? How logical, should I worry about PM's ?

Interesting logic. Have we now moved far enough OFF TOPIC for it to go back to the off topic section or will I get a warning about posting off topic to my own off topic thread ? ( a little sarcasm about the logic around here, as a fact )

Now the REAL questions are:

1) who jumps in on defense to try and defend moving a pointless thread from semi private to public?

2) who becomes personally insulted and forgets their nutrual position as governing and takes it to a personal level.....which it slowley is heading to ?

3) why would a thread this unimportant get so much attention unless .....(oops, better not say that)

4) who's the two pretzel corps tonight ?

Mike, discussions of drum corps dont belong in the off topic forums

Fine, I'll call your bluff. If it's not a review, then would you prefer that I move it to the World Class forum, where there's even more traffic?

Thanks for the veiled threat, and , all but proving this was a "catch back" for the debate awhile back about moving threads. I "knew" if I kept it up someone would prove their personal feelings vs: what their actual job is. Congrats on proving my point. Lets put this on front page ! Let's let everyone see your threat please.

Now that the cats out of the bag no sense to put it back to off topic where "I" felt it belonged. Someone made a choice to play a game with me. I just ADORE playing games when put to the task.

Just how far do YOU want to take this ? I personally think you should resign since you use your power to make threats like this. I don't think that this is what George Dixon ever had in mind for DCP

come on, we have INT threads in the DCI sections that don't get moved...why not ?

we have "what seat on the bus do you like" in the DCI section that don't get moved...why not ?

why would MY thread of OFF topic material get moved to a REVIEW section ?

I know the answer now.

Thanks for playing and since I have received no warnings or messages, I assume I'm playing by the rules and, doing so legally.

Can you honestly say that ?

Have a nice day!

Now, what can you do about all the OFF TOPIC threads in the DCI World class section ?

Mike, discussions of drum corps dont belong in the off topic forums

Oh but Jeff, you know how I am......I wasn't discussing drum corps, tecnically speaking.

I understand your intended point, however, my point has been proven.

Jeff, if you tell me to drop the issue, I will. But it really irks the heck out of me for someone to pee on my leg and tell me it's raining.