Commentary Videos up on FN!

I'm glad they're doing this...I really missed the commentary on the dvd's this last year...

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Marc S from BK got me thinking what if we can travel back in time and hear Mr Zingali do commentary for Cadets 87 or Star 91 (barring health issues). Could you imagine. WOW!!

He Got the Girl....that was and awesome moment.

That " Letter from Home" Section is classic Cadets. What a great overall show. The "ABC's of American Modern Music" was extremely underrated IMHO.

That show was considered boring by most fans of the day and a down year for Garfield.

It was an experimental year, but they were a really great corps and that show made me consider marching with them. It was an educational year for all.

If I remember correctly, in 1991 Cadets made a fairly significant change to their ballad on Finals night. During the end of their ballad, it featured a kid watching other couples dancing, but he never got involved. It would end with him just kind of watching them dance, and then he would kind of walk away as the third tune started up. For finals night, he was starting to walking away when the girl came up to him and they ended the ballad with the two of them dancing, and the kid 'jumping/dancing' away jubilantly.

I may be missing something or slightly wrong (I'm definitely paraphrasing the moments), but it's been a long time since I've seen that show. It's always been a favorite show of mine, and I loved Cadets' music selection/design that year.

But if I remember correctly that was changed for Finals night only.

Also, Blue Devils, when they did the Train show awhile back, I believe they ran to the tunnel for finals night as the "train was pulling out." I think that was another finals night only change.

You are correct! I marched Southwind in 1991 and we toured mostly with Cadets. I saw that show nearly every night for the entire summer. We always hoped he would get the girl and on Finals, he did...

Folks,

If you want to know how it's done, if you want to get inside the minds of legends and great designers alike, if you want to learn something new and get a secondary and sometimes tertiary peak into what the corps are really trying to say with their music, concept and design choices...

please listen to the APD's from San Antonio with the designer commentary.

You will learn so much about concept, depth of thought and tried and true devices to generate an emotional response from us, the audience.

I think the release of these on the FN is incredible and it made me so excited to watch everyone in Indy based off the information, portrayal and future growth of the groups in the next two weeks.

BRAVO DCI!

ps. I want to give Marc Sylvester a big hug...he so represents drumcorps and I hope he knows just how special his contribution is. The Blue Knights made an amazing move to get him involved, nice job Mark Arnold!

See you in Indy,

mm

That show was considered boring by most fans of the day and a down year for Garfield.

It was an experimental year, but they were a really great corps and that show made me consider marching with them. It was an educational year for all.

I know it's off topic from the thread, but I agree here. I LOVED 91 Cadets. It's my all time fave Cadets show, and that's saying a lot since I have lots of love for their 92 show, and several of those amazing, life-changing 80's shows. Prelude, Fugue and Riffs as the closer was the perfect character study for a corps like Garfield - straight up fugue style vs. blow your face off jazz, and they pulled off both styles so very well! And that fantastic treatment of Short Ride in a Fast Machine for the opener - wow!!!

ahhh good memories.

And yay for FN commentaries. They rock too. :sad:

I am buying the APD of the Bluecoats commentary.