Thank you from MYSTIKAL

Greetings all,

I would like to take a moment to publically thank a few people for the amazing season we experienced with the 2009 Mystikal DBC. To all of those friends and family members we thank you for your support and generosity. To the Rio Grande Valley area of Texas, thank you for all that you gave us, especially for the 55 members and eternal bonds we have formed with your family. To Port Hueneme Naval Base, without you our season would have never been what it was.

Finally to the staff - Robert Flores - Brass Caption, Dillon Ingle - Percussion Caption, Aaron Sandoval - Visual Caption, Amanda Reynolds - Visual Consultant, Ali Martinez - Guard Consultant, Nathan Ortiz - Guard Caption and each member of their staff's I thank you from the bottom of my heart. Many stories will be coming from our organization over the next few months and the accomplishments they have made with what they were given to work with was simply outstanding. The odds that continued to mount against us were, at times, very daunting. I will be publishing the story of our season in August on our website but I wanted to share a few details with the world.

At the end of our season on Sunday we were sitting in the top 5 of many of the music captions after never finishing higher than 12th in any caption in previous seasons. We eclipsed the record for first read score by 5 points and had already eclipsed the highest score recorded for this drum corps by the mid point of the season. Now, I point this out only to add validity to the following. Our hornline did not meet as a complete unit for the first time until March and our Percussion until May. We learned our entire program in a total of 13 days after taking 95% of our membership 1400 miles away from home on a 30 hour train ride. The logistical issues these young men and women were faced with seemed insurmountable at times, however they pushed through and this staff was dedicate to the education and basic foundations to build a unit that was not only solid, but able to compete against some of the best Open Class has to offer. Our intentions for the season were to work with a group of kids that would most likely never be able to participate at this level for various reasons and see were our concepts and vision takes us. The result was something that I can only describe as phenomenal! Never have I been part of something so complete educationally and it will be hard to top.

As a staff we agreed to run this process with little to no publicity in order to take any pressure associated with the press off of the shoulders of these young members but to also allow for the product we built to speak for itself at the end of the season. I feel we accomplished everything we set out to and more. These members are forever changed and are part of a family and a season that will live on with us forever. We were truly blessed to have this group of kids take part in our first season together as a staff. In my opinion there is not a harder working group out there, and if you have visited our rehearsals or training sessions I am sure you will agree.

There will be plenty more to follow on the ups and downs of the 2009 season, but I wanted to share my thanks with the world to this group. As a first year Corps Director I could not have asked for any more. I am sure this might spark a few questions on the future for Mystikal and to those questions I say that I am not sure. What I can say is that there will be many new developments and stories in the months to come so stay tuned.

Our season concludes this Saturday with our Texas Family Day Performance and Clinic. This will be held at PSJA Memorial High School in Alamo Texas and the details are included here. Our performance will begin at 6 pm, so if you are in the area, please come by and meet these amazing kids and staff and enjoy one hell of a program!

PSJA Memorial High School

800 S Alamo Rd

Alamo, TX 78516

6:00 pm

Chris Magonigal

Corps Director

The NEW Mystikal DBC

Edited by magonigal

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thank YOU Chris. As a FMM of the "old" Mystikal, it makes me enormously proud to see my old corps scoring as high as they are. Keep at it, and keep improving! Can't wait to see the black and silver up towards the top!

Congrats on an amazing season. Looking forward to seeing what the corps brings to the table for 2010!

What an amazing story. Thanks for the insight, Chris. Looking forward to reading all the details of Mystikal's 2009 season.

Best to you, the corps, and for continued success,

Mav

Congratulations on a season well done. We wish we could see you in Indianapolis. Hopefully, you can be there at Finals in the future.

Congratulations and such a successful season. Thank you for bringing more drum corps to the kids in Texas. Lookin' forward to seeing y'all in 2010. :sad:

Wow good finish! Sounds like you guys worked hard with a sensible tour that didn't break your back (or cause you to publicly beg for cash like OC and Rev do) Good luck next year