DCI on HULU

Ive not used hulu all that much, just for a couple shows, but isnt hulu just a partnership of a few networks to put their shows and programming online? Do they even let other parties put video online there?

I'm sure if DCI were offering the content to be posted, and then HULU and DCI had the advertising sponsors ... it would be done at the corporate level.

Hulu makes money on advertising. DCI makes money on ticket and web content sales (amongst other things).

DCI would have to embrace the idea as an opportunity to expand their market and draw in new pocketbooks to the activity and maybe even pick up some new sponsors that are more mainstream.

"DCI ... Sponsored by the all NEW Toyota Prius"

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm sure if DCI were offering the content to be posted, and then HULU and DCI had the advertising sponsors ... it would be done at the corporate level.

Hulu makes money on advertising. DCI makes money on ticket and web content sales (amongst other things).

DCI would have to embrace the idea as an opportunity to expand their market and draw in new pocketbooks to the activity and maybe even pick up some new sponsors that are more mainstream.

"DCI ... Sponsored by the all NEW Toyota Prius"

yeah, but would Hulu be interested in letting something as relatively small as DCI on there? Lets face it, drum corps is a pretty niche market. Not saying it wouldnt be worth a shot, but it might get shot down by hulu, because they may not be looking to sell advertising for niche brands. I could see something where Hulu sold space on there and DCI was responsible for gaining advertisers, but on the other hand, any sponsorship\advertising dollars these sponsors paid towards the hulu venture would be dollars that would likely be being at least partially diverted from other existing sponsorships\advertising within DCI, especially considering how much advertising budgets have dried up in a lot of places. (I work in print advertising sales, so im pretty familiar)

#### I hate spoiling the party on these things... but for more reasons than I have time to write, it won't happen. The biggest reason being copyright issues regarding the music the corps are performing. I'm almost positive that when the corps and DCI lobby the rights owners to perform their music, the only internet permission they are given (in most circumstances) is for DCI.org.

Let's take a closer look at this...

Hulu is a social media site that allows users to not only watch their favorite video's/tv shows, but it also allows people to "share" these video's with others through the various social networking platforms. The very fact that video is shared means that Hulu has no control where the video will end up, meaning each piece of music will need to be cleared for the entire web.

With the internet taking over as the number distribution outlet for music, Record and Publishing companies needed to find a new way to recover the money lost from album sales, so they began boosting the price of right's fee's. In limiting access to DCI's website and their own, the corps have kept the licensing fees to a minimum. If they were to go back and try to renegotiate for blanket internet use, the fee'd would go through the roof.

Where is the financial benefit?

Why do you think video gets taken off YouTube so often?

Bottom line is, it won't happen, and doesn't need to happen. Stop being a cheap ### and pony up the $39 like the rest of us.

Edited by Newseditor44

Bottom line is, it won't happen, and doesn't need to happen. Stop being a cheap ### and pony up the $39 like the rest of us.

I have to agree with this. Stop being cheap ###. $3.25 a month for an incredible archive of stuff, live web casts, etc. It's an incredible steal if you ask me.

I have to agree with this. Stop being cheap ###. $3.25 a month for an incredible archive of stuff, live web casts, etc. It's an incredible steal if you ask me.

I go whole hog and spend the $59/year for the full Fan Network package.

What I would like, however, is a way to share some of what's on the Fan Network with non-members, especially potential fans who need a taste of DCI to get them hooked into going to a show. Even if it's just something from the free content section of the Fan Network, if there was a way to share this content via email, Twitter, MySpace, and/or Facebook, my job as drum corps evangelist would be much more successful. Hulu and TV.com have these options, but they don't have to deal with the licensing and copyright issues which drum corps has.

Ideas, anybody?

If DCI can sell the FN to it's patrons, they obviously have the copyright issues taken care of. We pay for a service to view these shows online. If they didn't have the copyright issues handled, there would be no Fan Network.

If Hulu were to rebroadcast the content on DCI.ORG, it's the same thing as it being broadcast from DCI.ORG. Hulu is just running the same content through a frame on their own website. They do not hold the content on their own servers. The original content holder is providing the content. Hulu is just providing a one stop shop to find it all.

The tricky question is, can DCI offset the "pay 4 play" portion of their contracts for copyrights with Advertising money. Is there a loophole? I suspect DCI's legal team would have to answer that question. Regardless, I can't imagine there would be a legal issue if DCI is offering their content to the general public for FREE! There is no copyright infringement if they are not selling the content, which in this case, they wouldn't be. It's free content, provided by the license holder, to the general public in an effort to grow the market.

The amount DCI pays the copyright holders is based on their subscription pricing, downloads of APD's and VPD's, and DCD/CD sales. They pay a percentage of the take to the copyright holders. I know there is an argument where free is never free, but the counter argument is: If DCI draws in new fan$ from the free HULU based broadcasting, that results in more APD, VPD, DVD, CD sales, which in turn, generates more money for the copyright holders. This generates better exposure for DCI's advertising supporters, the activity as a whole and end sales for DCI.

Now what?

Edited by supersop

There is no copyright infringement if they are not selling the content, which in this case, they wouldn't be. It's free content, provided by the copyright holder, to the general public in an effort to grow the market.

That's not at all how copyrights work... that's what, now. :P

That's not at all how copyrights work... that's what, now. :P

'The copyrights are for sales of DVD, APD, CD and VPD - Live performance ticket sales. It says nothing about free broadcasts and FN already does this with their Viral clips. I did mention there was a question with rebroadcasting. Did I not?

If DCI can sell the FN to it's patrons, they obviously have the copyright issues taken care of. We pay for a service to view these shows online. If they didn't have the copyright issues handled, there would be no Fan Network.

If Hulu were to rebroadcast the content on DCI.ORG, it's the same thing as it being broadcast from DCI.ORG. Hulu is just running the same content through a frame on their own website. They do not hold the content on their own servers. The original content holder is providing the content. Hulu is just providing a one stop shop to find it all.

The tricky question is, can DCI offset the "pay 4 play" portion of their contracts for copyrights with Advertising money. Is there a loophole? I suspect DCI's legal team would have to answer that question. Regardless, I can't imagine there would be a legal issue if DCI is offering their content to the general public for FREE! There is no copyright infringement if they are not selling the content, which in this case, they wouldn't be. It's free content, provided by the license holder, to the general public in an effort to grow the market.

The amount DCI pays the copyright holders is based on their subscription pricing, downloads of APD's and VPD's, and DCD/CD sales. They pay a percentage of the take to the copyright holders. I know there is an argument where free is never free, but the counter argument is: If DCI draws in new fan$ from the free HULU based broadcasting, that results in more APD, VPD, DVD, CD sales, which in turn, generates more money for the copyright holders. This generates better exposure for DCI's advertising supporters, the activity as a whole and end sales for DCI.

Now what?

There are still a gazillion rights issues, none of which I have time for a debate here, because honestly it never goes anywhere without a screaming match.

There is NO financial advantage to DCI sharing it's content for free versus a pay-to-play site like FN.