What are the hardest moves you had to do?

deftguy

Hardest moves....i'd have to say 1. catching a quad behind my back. This included a permanent bruise on my butt and my lower back which has yet to heal. 2. would be double-timing into a catch behind my head. These weren't really in shows because the rest of my guard was to scared to attempt them after I came back with the battle scars but hey, thats a pretty good showing for a high-schooler.

3. This one me and a few friends kinda built off the idea of an exchange where you go back to back, toss your flags and spin around to catch the other person's flag. We did the same thing, but instead spun totally around eachother to catch our own flags.

4. Not extremely hard but really fun...a girl tossed a quad and then i had to leapfrog over her and catch it in a shoulder-hip. First time we tried it, i got a mild concussion so i guess it wasn't as easy as i initally thought.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

hhmm..... hardest stuff to do.....

in high school the guard have to move backwards into the band while tossing (flags) ... it looked good anyway...

also had to do a moving flat toss on flag...

In winter guard.... I started out on sabre/rifle/flag and then ended up only on flag because we changed the show and the weapon work was beyond me... sabre we had to do this 'crotch toss' and catch it on on our knees leaning back... very complicated... on rifle we had to do a blind triple - toss, turn and sit and catch flat... then extend out the body and roll the rifle on the top of your hand and go into a flat toss and stand up and catch... VERY complicated and it ended up not being used... on flag we had tons of crazy stuff... 45 tosses while moving... turning under tosses... we had this one move where we cradled the flag and and placed it on our left hip and turned and then tossed a double out of it... very odd but it worked quite well and got good crowd response... also had a very tight flag block on the corner and had to do so fast stuff and then spread out really fast and do this between the legs thing while moving to the left... once we got it cleaned it was awesome

One move Madison's flags did in the early 80's was to hold the flag flat or paralle to the ground in front or you while you jumped through it with both feet! Very difficult move and I suggest not to do it unless you are in shape

Madison did this in 81. My high school colorguard turned around and did it in 82. We were trying to add it into our 80 show, but only a few could pull it off. You better be in excellent condition, have strong shoulders and legs or your shins and shoulders will pay a heavy price.

Do the Cavie's move they did with rifle but only with flag.......spin one handed above your head while spinning the other in your right hand (rifle spin).....be careful not to let the poles hit!

Malibu, if you look at the Cavies 82 show, we actually did this including a rifle toss while wrapping the flag pole around your neck.

Another hard move I had to do on rifle was a helicopter toss while standing, fall to the ground and catch. Another was a helicopter toss over the head of the rifle next to you, and to the rifle next to him. We did this in our 85 show. The flag line in 82 did a move that I thought was pretty tough. The did a helicopter toss while on the ground, spun their body around one time, and catch the flag. The rifle turned around a repeated the same move in 83 during the drum solo.

The hardest move I ever had to do was.........

Twirl my fire baton on the 50 yard line, toss it up, turn around 3 times, and not set Jimmy Russo' s sequins on fire.

No it was me, geez

• 1 month later...
1984 Cavaliers- Tossed my rifle over a prop and into the hands of another guard member(see video). We began incorporating intergrated movement with our equipment work that year.

As I recall, that "prop" you speak of was the hornline while we held those 2 continuous long flags.

Just call me a "prop". B)

O.K. this is "old" stuff and not even comparable to what the guards have done over the last 20 plus years. But at the time it was hard (especially in boots).

A simple move during the very beginning of Procession of the Nobles '70. As multiple arcs rippled from the corner, there were 3 lines of guard. We would go down one arc at a time on one knee and snap a "present" towards the stands. Then in another ripple affect we would in one count spin around and land on the other knee with another "snap" present towards the starting line (or the corner as was the case). If the field was wet, it was a nightmare to keep your balance. My sister did fall once during a show and undertook the evil eye from Pete Emmons (man, he was good at that).

The second hardest move was during Winter Guard '73/'74. Back in the days of no drums or music we actually did the two different tempos from "Young Persons Guide". It took a while to get it right but when we did it sounded really cool with the beat of our boots on the hardwood floor. The audience loved it.

Edited by MsBusDriver

Man, reading again all the stuff that guards have done over the years and what they do now, really made me think how "easy" our work of the '70s were. Now I'm speaking of "flag work", not rifles. I will not presume to speak for the rifle line.

What WAS hard was the cleaning, cleaning, cleaning of angles, hand positions, timing and anything else that could get TICKED!

I guess that is why I get so stoked when I see a guard doing the stuff they do now and it is CLEAN! (for the most part anyway :;'). Way to go guys...

As I recall, that "prop" you speak of was the hornline while we held those 2 continuous long flags.

Just call me a "prop".

Out of due respect to you and the other guys in the horn line, I will restate myself. My rifle was tossed over the horn line holding a "prop" over their heads. I would never disrespect a fellow cavie as to reduce them to a prop. But in reality when you raise a prop higher than your head, and a rifle goes over that prop, that means the rifle is going over the prop since it is the highest point, not your head. If you had no prop(or flag) held over your head(or higher than), then officially it WOULD be going over the heads horn line. Also in colorguard speak what you were holding would be condsidered a prop. IMO it would be a stretch to consider what the horn line had in its hand was a flag. If I offended you I am really sorry.