DCI mid season DVD's, they are missing the boat!

I think DCI is missing the boat here, and here is why. I would really like to have a mid-season dvd again, to me and I do subscribe to the live fan network btw, it would be cool to watch these shows in the two to three formats (multi cam, high cam, commentary).

I do agree that internet is the future for viewing, not too mention that there is little to no overhead. However, the grainy computer picture and sound quality is far below that of a dvd. Besides, nowadays, dvds are relatively cheap to produce in high volume. I think if you offered the set for $49, - $69 people would eat it up. I would rather watch these shows on my tv with a real dvd connection, and don't try to tell us that the streaming even comes close in terms of quality.

They have the film footage and higher end apds recordings from these shows already, just seems to me that people would like this until Finals dvds came out in late November.

Edited by ohbaby

I think DCI is missing the boat here, and here is why. I would really like to have a mid-season dvd again, to me and I do subscribe to the live fan network btw, it would be cool to watch these shows in the two to three formats (multi cam, high cam, commentary).

I do agree that internet is the future for viewing, not too mention that there is little to no overhead. However, the grainy computer picture and sound quality is far below that of a dvd. Besides, nowadays, dvds are relatively cheap to produce in high volume. I think if you offered the set for $49, - $69 people would eat it up. I would rather watch these shows on my tv with a real dvd connection, and don't try to tell us that the streaming even comes close in terms of quality.

They have the film footage and higher end apds recordings from these shows already, just seems to me that people would like this until Finals dvds came out in late November.

Uh, no, they are NOT cheap and easy to produce...at least not as a quality product. There is a reason why it takesDCI months to get the Finals DVD's out after the event has taken place. The entirety of the season is now 6 weeks. They wouldn't eve be done with production of the midseason DVD's before Finals occurred, and who wants to buy a midseason DVD when the shows have already changed and the champion has already been crowned?

I would MUCH rather have DCI wait and spend the time and resources re-installing some of the features they took away this past year. Frankly, I feel the trade-off of exchanging the anamorphic widescreen for the percussion and guard cam views and the commentary by the judges and designers was a bad one. Give me standard-aspect viewability and the additional cameras and commentary ANYDAY. I'm really hoping that at least some of thsoe things will be added back this year.

Uh, no, they are NOT cheap and easy to produce...at least not as a quality product. There is a reason why it takesDCI months to get the Finals DVD's out after the event has taken place. The entirety of the season is now 6 weeks. They wouldn't eve be done with production of the midseason DVD's before Finals occurred, and who wants to buy a midseason DVD when the shows have already changed and the champion has already been crowned?

I would MUCH rather have DCI wait and spend the time and resources re-installing some of the features they took away this past year. Frankly, I feel the trade-off of exchanging the anamorphic widescreen for the percussion and guard cam views and the commentary by the judges and designers was a bad one. Give me standard-aspect viewability and the additional cameras and commentary ANYDAY. I'm really hoping that at least some of thsoe things will be added back this year.

Was it 2006 when they made the mid season dvds the last time? They were out the following week, okay maybe you are right about all the additional features, hell just transfer the shows that you already have uploaded for a dvd, that could and would be cost effective. Nowadays, you can make a dvd within hours of filming, so it would not be too hard to do, heck even the commentary would not be too hard, it just would be audio two on the same video feed.

They did it once, and they learned their lesson. To do a quality product would take time and money...a lot of money. It's just not cheap. Too much overhead, and recording in San Antonio for instance would provide plenty of problems.

In addition, not many people bought the mid-season DVDs in the past (I think they did them in 2001 as well, not sure about other years). But the whole venture was not making money. People end up making a decision, either buy now (mid season) or buy later (Finals). Later is always better (production and performance).

Couple all this with the fact that we live in a download culture where the entertainment comes to us via internet. I really don't want DVDs to permanently archive a mid season show that I saw live via a web cast and have been watching via VOD ever since. No need to keep that media in my house when DCI can keep it online for me, and I can access that media whenever I wish, as long as I have a membership to Fan Network. Less clutter! No, the quality is not as good as a DVD, but I don't need that for a mid-season show. I just need a fix every once in a while (corps style). Finals DVD are about the only ones I will consider, and even then I do not buy every year.

I was involved with the mid-season CDs for the liner notes and repertoire lists. I don't remember the exact figure, but the number of copies that was sold was really quite small. The way things have changed, I'm guessing that getting all the permissions lined up ahead of time for music licensing for such a limited run would be a nightmare and would likely be cost prohibitive.

That doesn't mean it won't happen again. Dynamics might change.

DCI always wants to offer whatever the fans want and will support. Hence the Fan Network. In relative terms, it's still rather new, but it's come so far in such a short time and it will continue to improve as new features are added.

Think back to what we had just five years ago. It's amazing how far things have come in such a short time.

Edited by Michael Boo

I agree! I loved the 2007 DVD! If a dvd is not a option, DCI could sell high quality AVIs instead. The youtube-like quality of the FN can never compare.

Edited by kagario

Nah, not necessary. MAYBE if the mid-season DVDs offered multi cam and high cam, but that is a lot more work than just producing straight corps to DVD. There wouldn't be enough time. And if the mid-season only had one camera angle, Fan Network's a better value anyways. I bought the 07 mid-season at San Antonio and loved it, but once I got my finals DVDs that year I haven't even touched that disc. If I'd had Fan Network in 07, I probably wouldn't have needed that disc at all.

I was involved with the mid-season CDs for the liner notes and repertoire lists. I don't remember the exact figure, but the number of copies that was sold was really quite small. The way things have changed, I'm guessing that getting all the permissions lined up ahead of time for music licensing for such a limited run would be a nightmare and would likely be cost prohibitive.

That doesn't mean it won't happen again. Dynamics might change.

DCI always wants to offer whatever the fans want and will support. Hence the Fan Network. In relative terms, it's still rather new, but it's come so far in such a short time and it will continue to improve as new features are added.

Think back to what we had just five years ago. It's amazing how far things have come in such a short time.

KUDOS to DCI for such a great product!!! The thing that impresses me the most is each year they really IMPROVE the product. Knowing the Internet business well myself...people on here sometimes don't understand how special this FN really is...granted its not Hi-definition DVD quality...BUt is still fairly good overall... The only thing I might suggest is using HD quality video coupled with Flash technology...but the servers needed to handle the bandwidth may be cost prohibitive to DCI...I am still VERY happy with what we already have....Mid-season DVD's...mehhh

DVDs? no. Being able to buy and download a high quality mid-season VPD (video preformance download) of San Antonio might be a great idea! I think they should give that a try... I would buy one or two.