Potential for decreasing attendance

The discussion in one of the review threads has brought this to the surface so I thought it would be a good discussion point. People are voicing that they tend to plan summer vacations around DCI finals, and now that it is in the same venue until the return of Christ are opting out of going to finals in favor of a major regional like Allentown, given that they just don't want to vacation in the same spot each summer. By the end of the Indy contract will finals attendance be down significantly based on people just being sick of the venue/city and having other options for getting their drum corps fix? Moving the venue each year at least provided variety for people wanting to plan a vacation around finals week.

Edited by BozzlyB

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

This was certainly brought up on here when the decision was made. While I understand the 'pros' for picking a venue and returning there for several years in a row, I really enjoyed going to a different city and turing it into a mini vacation. No offense to people in Indy, but I haven't heard that much about the city that would make me want to go back again and again and again. I'll likely be one of those fans that now goes from time to time instead of every year.

I think there's a reason why the Super Bowl, the World Series, the BCS National Championship, etc. etc. aren't all played in the same stadium every year...

While im still going to finals, i bet a lot more people instead of spending a longer time there and making a vacation out of it, will just fly in in time for semis\finals instead of being there all week.

I continue to be convinced this will be a major issue as well. I will be very interested to see how full the stands are at Quarterfinals in 2 weeks!

Harvey

While im still going to finals, i bet a lot more people instead of spending a longer time there and making a vacation out of it, will just fly in in time for semis\finals instead of being there all week.

That would be me. Coming in Friday-Sunday.

Championships are my vacation. I have reached the point in my career that I can afford it (financially and vacation days) EVERY year and have been going for quite a few consecutive years. I do not plan to spend my vacation in the same spot for nine years. This is NOTHING against Indy, I wouldn't do it if it was in Cancun or Paris either.

Edited by patblamo

The discussion in one of the review threads has brought this to the surface so I thought it would be a good discussion point. People are voicing that they tend to plan summer vacations around DCI finals, and now that it is in the same venue until the return of Christ are opting out of going to finals in favor of a major regional like Allentown, given that they just don't want to vacation in the same spot each summer. By the end of the Indy contract will finals attendance be down significantly based on people just being sick of the venue/city and having other options for getting their drum corps fix? Moving the venue each year at least provided variety for people wanting to plan a vacation around finals week.

Sure, I can see your point, there is something to be said for familiarity. You get to know the area. As long as I can find a little hole in the wall that serves a good bowl of split pea soup, a crisp soda cracker, and tonic water, then I can see myself in Indy for many years to come. After all, I'm there to see drum corps in a good venue (which is yet to be seen how good this new fancy stadium is for drum corps).

Little things like walking distance to and from the pub to the stadium, ease of entry (can we sneak stuff in), and other factors all play into whether or not I'll want to go to Indianapolis each year.

I can't imagine why I wouldn't want to go the whole time. There is so much to do in the area that I couldn't possibly do it in 3,4 or 5 times. I like that it is the same each year so I know I'll know my way around, know the ins and outs of the city and have a chance to see things I noticed the time before but didn't have time for.

This is probably the only year I'm going to miss it, and that is because of 4H obligations. Next year we hope to make it a family vacation.