OK what's up with Crown?

The demand in Crown's visual and music books is lower than their peer group. But they are another step toward a championship.

Are you just trying to raise eyebrows or are you really that bad at making judgement calls between levels of difficulty. I say this because it is blatantly obvious that there is nothing lacking in difficulty in Crowns show. They are not executing it to the level one would want yet, thats for sure. However to make that statement bold faced, reveals either true lack of experience in the activity, an alterior motive, or a junky for the adrenaline rush from making outrageous statements eliciting responses. AKA Troll.

Now if its lack of experience then please dont take offense to my response. That I could understand.

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So when is it too much green? green bass heads, green plumes/sashes, 50 shades of green on the silks, green guard unis. FYI I am not a hater, but simply dont understand some of the choices for this show. It wouldve been more effective in my opinion if we saw no green until the end of the show or maybe every so often to prove the point. not cram it down our throats. also musically it seems to be wizard of oz based while visually it feels like jack and the beanstalk or jolly green giant. I know all the crown fans are going to be upset but i just dont get it ( i loved crown 07 08 subtle but to the point).Visually it feels like the staff just threw everything in because they think thats what they needed to do, these visuals serve no purpose. for example, could you just play the ballad without striking poses or sitting on the ground. let the music speak for itself!!!!!! There is sooo much non marching related body movement in this show that when its time for the members to actually march you see lots of foot phasing, bad body carriage, members sticking out in forms and forms not hitting. while i love their music and sound, visually i think the concept falls short. good luck to their members :)

So when is it too much green? green bass heads, green plumes/sashes, 50 shades of green on the silks, green guard unis. FYI I am not a hater, but simply dont understand some of the choices for this show. It wouldve been more effective in my opinion if we saw no green until the end of the show or maybe every so often to prove the point. not cram it down our throats. also musically it seems to be wizard of oz based while visually it feels like jack and the beanstalk or jolly green giant. I know all the crown fans are going to be upset but i just dont get it ( i loved crown 07 08 subtle but to the point).Visually it feels like the staff just threw everything in because they think thats what they needed to do, these visuals serve no purpose. for example, could you just play the ballad without striking poses or sitting on the ground. let the music speak for itself!!!!!! There is sooo much non marching related body movement in this show that when its time for the members to actually march you see lots of foot phasing, bad body carriage, members sticking out in forms and forms not hitting. while i love their music and sound, visually i think the concept falls short. good luck to their members :)

You forgot to mention that the field is green, too. If they had to do the show at Boise State, they'd be screwed! :blink:

Edited by SF2K4

You forgot to mention that the field is green, too. If they had to do the show at Boise State, they'd be screwed! :blink:

HAHHA!! YESSS!! I thought the same thing last week.

Has anyone taken a good look at the kids from Crown? They are simply worn down. If you look at many of their Facebook posts, they are simply counting down the days until the season is over.

I am hearing all sorts of unhappy stories coming out of their ranks. You just have to wonder what is going on? Does anyone really know...

Everyone gets down at this point in the season. As a performer, you are still in July mode, but now the staff is tightening up with an August mindset. It can lead to frustration and exhaustion as the staff/performers have to break through the physical/mental walls to take the show to the next level. I would expect that once they have passed beyond their current plateau, you will see a positive change in their attitudes.

Ah, the thread all of the Cadets, BD Cavi's people were waiting for to point their fingers at the Crown folks and say "silly children, see, we told you that you weren't good enough to be here."

Crown, is a contender end of discussion. I do wish the traditional top 5 alumni and fans would open their mind to the possibility the top 5 will one day hopefully be composed of 4 new corps that never appeared there in the last 20 years. Crown is a great drum corp. I never marched their but what I like about them is this, they know they are the new kids on the block. Just like any other year in order to score a 92.0 against a traditional top 5 you really have to perform at a 94.0. It's not fair, I don't like it and most others probably don't either but its the system that has been put in place. It was like that over 20 years ago. Its like that now. This year I believe they do have the best show in DCI. Although SCV, Cavies or the CADETS can take that award this year with the slightest miss step by Crown. But if Crown does what it does best which is perform the show at what they deem acceptable, which of course is very high on the expectation level, they absoultely deserve a shot a winning. The judge can say clean and technical points all they want, but the crowd will see othewise. Ask some old DCI alumni, ten years from now you won't remember who wins DCI. You only remember great performances and you look at those performances as the champions of that year. If your performance does not warrant the high score, you will be forgotten. I know it sounds some what crude but its true. So back to the discussion CROWN is ok. They will pull it together for DCI. If anything they are probably using all of the scores and issues they faced this summer to motivate themselves. If not win DCI they will be in the top 3. Others will have to move over. :blink:

Just like any other year in order to score a 92.0 against a traditional top 5 you really have to perform at a 94.0. It's not fair,

As an alumni of one of those traditional top 5, and one who is generally impressed with what Crown's staff and members have accomplished the last couple years, I have to say that Crown fans, family, and supporters would do well to retire that line of argument.

It assumes that Crown's 92 is somehow actually a winning score in nights when they're going up against corps who are demonstrably cleaner or more sophisticated and scoring 94. Well, I'm sorry, but that simply isn't true. Crown didn't 'really' beat BD and Cavaliers the other night; they were a little under a point down from Cavaliers and about 2 and a half down from BD. Take off the Crown colored goggles and it was clear where the differences are (too bad DCI doesn't offer "foot cam" so newbies can see what the judges are seeing on the field :blink: ).

That being the case, there's no reason to insult the excellence of the performers in the other top corps by suggesting they're getting gifts with their numbers. They're not. When Crown eventually beats everyone and walks off with a ring (and with the momentum they've built, I'm sure they will sometime very soon), it'll be because they went out and out-executed and out-programmed everyone else in the field, the same way it's been done for decades.

Edited by mobrien

As an alumni of one of those traditional top 5, and one who is generally impressed with what Crown's staff and members have accomplished the last couple years, I have to say that Crown fans, family, and supporters would do well to retire that line of argument.

It assumes that Crown's 92 is somehow actually a winning score in nights when they're going up against corps who are demonstrably cleaner or more sophisticated and scoring 94. Well, I'm sorry, but that simply isn't true. Crown didn't 'really' beat BD and Cavaliers the other night; they were a little under a point down from Cavaliers and about 2 and a half down from BD. Take off the Crown colored goggles and it was clear where the differences are (too bad DCI doesn't offer "foot cam" so newbies can see what the judges are seeing on the field :blink: ).

That being the case, there's no reason to insult the excellence of the performers in the other top corps by suggesting they're getting gifts with their numbers. They're not. When Crown eventually beats everyone and walks off with a ring (and with the momentum they've built, I'm sure they will sometime very soon), it'll be because they went out and out-executed and out-programmed everyone else in the field, the same way it's been done for decades.

Took the words right outta my mouth.

The demand in Crown's visual and music books is lower than their peer group. But they are another step toward a championship.

You need to go to a show and see the corps! Obviously you haven't. This demand issue would go away if people actually went and watched a show. When you go to a show please be sure to watch the last 7 or 8 corps as they all do difficult "stuff". If you need further viewing tips let me know. You might really get to like drum corps once you actually attend a show in person. Good Luck! Spend some money and support the corps!!