Atlanta's Brave New World

Some are set on BD being dah bomb diggity.

It's starting to feel like a minority.

We ALL agree they perform extremely well. We ALL agree they march very well, when they're marching. Not all agree this show should be winning ... and that has NOTHING to do with the actual performance. It has everything to do with the design of the show.

There's no need for anyone to get all bent out of shape on behalf of BD. They are the Blue Devils. They have more rings than anyone. They love criticism because they know it's a compliment to their success. They love to win and do what is necessary to achieve their goals. That doesn't mean the vast majority of DCP'ers have to like it. I for one admire BD for all of their success over the years. I wish them well going in to finals week. They have some monsters crawling up their backs and I think they know it. That said .... they'll push even harder now. So here's to a great finals and best of luck to the top corps who have a shot at the title.

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Anyone else feel emotionally distant towards the BD show?

Technically it's great...but it's still missing a LOT when it comes to getting anything out of me.

Will probably WIN... but I had an emotional disconnect...

I'm sure if they had chairs marking their sets then that might help.

How much of the show was BD in the chairs? BD was nailing every single set tonight. The extremely difficult sets late in the show looked perfect. They are on fire visually, the chairs had nothing to do with it.

BD thoughts - that clearly wasn't their "Finals" ending on there, unless they're into very abrupt final hits this year. Overall, it's a solid show that is cleaner than everyone else. Just like last year. And unless there's a corps that ramps up the emotion and creates enough momentum during the last couple of weeks so they can go toe-to-toe with them visually and musically, they'll likely win. Just like last year.

My dark horse candidate until tonight would have been SCV, but honestly, I don't know what they could change in there that would suddenly surge the total program ahead. So likely, as it seems to so many years, it'll be the question if the Cadets can clean and tweak their way past BD.

Though not in a championship sense, don't count out Phantom Regiment yet. They may still bully their way back into the top 6 (or even top 5!) - their show is finally rounding into shape, I feel.

Until tonight, I wasn't planning on buying the DVD's this year. There weren't enough corps that got my interest. But I have to say, watching them this evening really changed my mind - I think that this is a *great* year for DCI, not just a good one. (For the record, I thought 2008 was one of my all-time favorites, right up there with 90, 92, 95 and 97). I think this top 12 will be as deep as we've seen in quite a while, and that major props have to go out to Phantom, BK and Boston, who have brought us some of the most entertaining shows of the year.

Mike

anyone want a hot dog

Some are set on BD being dah bomb diggity.

Thats exactly what I was about to say.

BD first tonight, but I still think they're catchable in August.

Crown, Vanguard, Cavaliers and HNC should all be feeling pretty psyched going into the final stretch. They're off the lead, but not that far back.

Must be hard judging these Corps.... they are so different in style. Cadets drill they have their brass do is unbelievably demanding. But Cavs, BD brass lines are so good, and BD's guard.... good grief, just give them Best Guard for 2009 now and get it over with.