Serious question - I'm not trolling

Here's the question, is forty too old? I can pick up a euphonium, woodshed, get the chops back and audition in a year. But am I going to look like "gramps"?

Ask Walt Street. That guy plays and marches like a bad ###.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Cybersnyder,

Go out an give it a try. I'm in my 3rd year marching with Brass. I was a rookie at 48 and had not picked up an instrument in 31 years. The only thing I regret is not doing this 10-20-30 years ago. I had never marched in a corps either. In just a practice I was made to feel like family.

Practice, get in shape. Just do it!!!!!!!

Dude, I'm 36....and if my corps were properly resurrected, I'd commute to friggin' Harrisburg, now that the docs have found a medication that neutralizes that lovely cracking in my fingers.

You're never too old.

Screw it. I'm going to give it a shot. The worst they can do is laugh me out. Heh.

So, it's back to the gym. I need to go anyways and I'm not far from my "fighting" weight. It's a good motivation.

I'll look around for a brass instructor in the area. Always made the biggest gains on electric bass when with an instructor to keep you honest.

I've played mellophone, baritone, and euphonium. Any thoughts on which would be the better path? At this point, I'd say that the start and the end of woodshedding would be roughly equal on my part for any of the instruments. Do the Bucs still play Dynasty?

Thanks. I really appreciate the info!

Hi,

First off, I was never in DCI. I was in the Army and by the time I got out I had aged out. So I did college band and high school, of course. I never even looked at DCA because of the comment of one person that was in DCA, "It's just an excuse to drink on the weekends." I'm about two hours away from Reading. I really miss doing something with brass.

Here's the question, is forty too old? I can pick up a euphonium, woodshed, get the chops back and audition in a year. But am I going to look like "gramps"?

Anyways, just wanted to hear your thoughts. Appreciate any comments and I won't be offended in the least if you tell me I'm too old. ;-)

Absolutely not. Just do it. I am 42 and dusted off my chops about five years ago after some fifteen years of non-use. A bit frustrating at times to be sure, but worth it.

It sounds like you have a good plan to get back into shape for next year. Keep in mind that it takes time to get back to where you were 20 years ago. Work on getting a good sound first before trying to play things that are a struggle technique-wise.

To answer your questions, the Bucs do play Dynasty Bb baris & euphs, along with F mellos. I would recommend getting a hold of a baritone to work with if you can. If you decide after a camp or two to play euph, that won't be a big switch.

It's alread been said, but you would not be out of place at 40 in the Bucs. There are people of all ages from about 16 to probably 53. I would guess the average age to be mid to late 20's in the hornline.

Send me a pm with your email and I can get some info out to you if you like.

Edited by MCLpatrick