Serious question - I'm not trolling

To give you an idea of what to expect physically, you should go to either the Scranton or the Reading show.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To give you an idea of what to expect physically, you should go to either the Scranton or the Reading show.

Absolutely. Still looking into scheduling.

Hi,

First off, I was never in DCI. I was in the Army and by the time I got out I had aged out. So I did college band and high school, of course. I never even looked at DCA because of the comment of one person that was in DCA, "It's just an excuse to drink on the weekends." I'm about two hours away from Reading. I really miss doing something with brass.

Here's the question, is forty too old? I can pick up a euphonium, woodshed, get the chops back and audition in a year. But am I going to look like "gramps"?

Anyways, just wanted to hear your thoughts. Appreciate any comments and I won't be offended in the least if you tell me I'm too old. ;-)

As one who aged out overseas, I can only say "Welcome back... we have a spot waiting for you."

The experience you'll bring will enrich the lives of your fellow corpsmembers. They energy and musicianship they bring will bring back the experience to you.

2 hours from Reading makes it a natural - but they are far from the only DCA group that can satisfy that need.

Welcome home.

Cybersnyder:

I'm fifty, been marching with the Empire Statesmen for 9 years and play baritone, and for what it matters, I'm a mom of two daughters, both in their mid twenties. One who marches in Statesmen colorguard. My husband marched for 10 years and is taking time off, at 51. We have hornplayers who are in their sixties marching!

I support, whole heartedly the notion that you must get yourself in shape and start playing again. I was a flute/piccolo player in high school and learned how to play a brass instrument in St. Joes Alumni in 1995, which was alot of work, but I wouldn't go back to my woodwind instrument now.

Run, walk, ride a bike, kayak.....anything aerobic that you can do will help. It's tough in the spring when you begin learning drill and that first run-through of the show can be a bear! By the end of the summer, you'll be in great shape!!

Any DCA corps is worthwhile visiting and participating in. It's about your ability to travel and your personal interest in their program. Good luck!!

Leslie

As one who aged out overseas, I can only say "Welcome back... we have a spot waiting for you."

The experience you'll bring will enrich the lives of your fellow corpsmembers. They energy and musicianship they bring will bring back the experience to you.

2 hours from Reading makes it a natural - but they are far from the only DCA group that can satisfy that need.

Welcome home.

Hi,

First off, I was never in DCI. I was in the Army and by the time I got out I had aged out. So I did college band and high school, of course. I never even looked at DCA because of the comment of one person that was in DCA, "It's just an excuse to drink on the weekends." I'm about two hours away from Reading. I really miss doing something with brass.

Here's the question, is forty too old? I can pick up a euphonium, woodshed, get the chops back and audition in a year. But am I going to look like "gramps"?

Anyways, just wanted to hear your thoughts. Appreciate any comments and I won't be offended in the least if you tell me I'm too old. ;-)

I say give it a shot.

Why not march, I will be 62 this year and I have been involved in the activity ( still marching ) since 1956. My first DCA finals year was 1967, and I am looking forward to another few years ! What a fantastic way to stay fit and also do some great socializing.

You can never be too old for this. :thumbdown: