Camera angles

Whenever I watch a video from any year, I am always amused by the choices made on which video feed to activate throughout the show. I had to giggle when I watched the Atlanta video of SCV from Saturday night. Right before the climax of the show, which is clearly the toast and company front, the cameraman looks as if he's gonna zoom in on the toaster, but at the last second...nope...a guy playing cymbals in the pit. D'oh! I was in the pit and any time the camera made it to me, I can tell you right now it was pointing to the wrong place.

So, to whom it may concern from a dude in the pit. Quit pointing a camera at me. :blink:

This is a minor complaint, of course. In general they do great work. But, it reminded me immediately of my favorite bad camera decision...

1988 Madison. In my opinion, the crazy-spin-around-wedge move in their closer won them a championship that year. Man that move was cool enough for a ring all by itself. And all the video shows is the last 2 steps. The magical portion was lost in another camera's feed. You hear the crowd response but darnit...I wanted to see it. rats.

I had to giggle when I watched the Atlanta video of SCV from Saturday night. Right before the climax of the show, which is clearly the toast and company front, the cameraman looks as if he's gonna zoom in on the toaster, but at the last second...nope...a guy playing cymbals in the pit. D'oh! I was in the pit and any time the camera made it to me, I can tell you right now it was pointing to the wrong place.

So, to whom it may concern from a dude in the pit. Quit pointing a camera at me. :blink:

I literally yelled at my computer when they zoomed in on cymbal guy. I was in the pit. SCV's pit. But I certainly don't want a closeup of cymbal guy during a company front! That's just bad decision making on the producer's part.

BAD producer! :huh:

My best bet, in current times, is that the camera angles are chosen purposely. I don't think they really want to show all the cool stuff during the regular season on multi angle. If they get the shots right during the regular season, what's going to be special about the finals DVD?

The shot you pointed out seemed VERY intentional to me. Like someone was screaming in the camera guys ear .... NO NO!!! NOT HER!

I've watched a few shows from that broadcast and so far they've all been pretty bad. They never seem to stay on the full corps for more than a few seconds before switching angles again. It's driving me bananas. There's nothing I hate more than a camera switch in the middle of an awesome drill move.

My best bet, in current times, is that the camera angles are chosen purposely. I don't think they really want to show all the cool stuff during the regular season on multi angle. If they get the shots right during the regular season, what's going to be special about the finals DVD?

That may be the case but it seemed to me like they were just kinda inexperienced

Edited by gimpy

It's not a minor complaint for me. It's a major one.

If I had known that the "On Demand" for most of the shows on the Fan Network was going to be the multi-cam version only even though High Cam was available during the actual live stream, I would have kept my money.

I wanted very much to see SCV's new ending from their performance in Atlanta but all the "On Demand" choice of Muli-Cam format shows is bits and pieces of closeups and about 3 seconds of the new drill from the end of the company front on. :blink:

If I had known that the "On Demand" for most of the shows on the Fan Network was going to be the multi-cam version only even though High Cam was available during the actual live stream, I would have kept my money.

I wanted very much to see SCV's new ending from their performance in Atlanta but all the "On Demand" choice of Muli-Cam format shows is bits and pieces of closeups and about 3 seconds of the new drill from the end of the company front on. :thumbdown:

Disk space is cheap! why not ul all the formats that were offered live? I don't think this will take more BW (which is what's metered right? ) and it will give everyone the opportunity enjoy multicam live and hicam on-demand or vice versa.

Give 'em a couple shots at figuring out the camera cuts... it's incredibly hard to direct any live event, especially one like drum corps.

Something tells me they'll be on their game for the Quarterfinals theatre broadcast.

The shot you pointed out seemed VERY intentional to me. Like someone was screaming in the camera guys ear .... NO NO!!! NOT HER!

I actually thought the same thing. I could hear the record scratch in my head when the camera jerks over to show the pit instead. funny.

I wanted very much to see SCV's new ending from their performance in Atlanta but all the "On Demand" choice of Muli-Cam format shows is bits and pieces of closeups and about 3 seconds of the new drill from the end of the company front on. :thumbdown:

DITTO :tongue:

Give 'em a couple shots at figuring out the camera cuts... it's incredibly hard to direct any live event, especially one like drum corps.

Something tells me they'll be on their game for the Quarterfinals theatre broadcast.

Agreed. It is incredibly more difficult to call a 3 camera live shoot to a program feed than non-video people know. Granted, no excuse for the pit close-up during SCV, shouldn't have happened, but the person calling the camera is not as familiar with what you want to watch as you are.

This being said, as a quad player, I cant count the number of times Ive been ###### that the sideline handheld nails the snare break...then the high cam is taken while the quads get their 4 measures in the sun. Then the handheld refocuses just in time to pick up a rifle.....ugh.