Show concepts

I'm not sure if you have seen Phantom's show yet this year..... :thumbdown:

I guess there's some chop in it, but I remember more melody than transitions. I found their loudness particularly satisfying, but perhaps I was giving them the benefit of the doubt. :tongue:

Edited by corps-mudgeon

• Replies 203
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am at the DCI show in Atlanta on Saturday and I was bored out of my mind. I've marched for years in corps from the 60's up to 2002 plus I attended music college.

To me these corps want to run faster than ever on the field , with no power, since corps back in the day with 30 horns were louder than 70 person lines today.

The music to me seems like a bunch of guys wanting to get their masters in composition. They take a melody and mix it up and twist it so that it hardly if ever resembles what they say it is suppose to be. If I want to hear west side story then play it... Next thing they will do porgy and bess, but make it a happy one, with country and symphonic overtures, with various key changes, Brilliant. Back when drum corp was in the business of entertaining (I know a bad thing) people came to shows to enjoy it and they did not have to be a middle, high or college marching student to understand it, they just came to be entertained. Most at the show were students, people who have marched or parents of kids in corps. People around me said this would be their last show, since they did not recognize one musical piece.

Bring back the entertainment of playing loud and having regular people get excited about watching drum corp.

Yes...all current drum corps is terrible, boring, and nothing is loud. There is zero entertainment. I think this is the last year of DCI unless they bring back the 60's show design. I heard they might cancel championships this year because it's so bad.

I am at the DCI show in Atlanta on Saturday and I was bored out of my mind. I've marched for years in corps from the 60's up to 2002 plus I attended music college.

To me these corps want to run faster than ever on the field , with no power, since corps back in the day with 30 horns were louder than 70 person lines today.

The music to me seems like a bunch of guys wanting to get their masters in composition. They take a melody and mix it up and twist it so that it hardly if ever resembles what they say it is suppose to be. If I want to hear west side story then play it... Next thing they will do porgy and bess, but make it a happy one, with country and symphonic overtures, with various key changes, Brilliant. Back when drum corp was in the business of entertaining (I know a bad thing) people came to shows to enjoy it and they did not have to be a middle, high or college marching student to understand it, they just came to be entertained. Most at the show were students, people who have marched or parents of kids in corps. People around me said this would be their last show, since they did not recognize one musical piece.

Bring back the entertainment of playing loud and having regular people get excited about watching drum corp.

There are multiple forms of GE that Corps go for each show, Emotional or Intellectual. 90s corps played to the Emotional side of the spectrum and 00s corps play to the Intellectual side of the spectrum (left wing right wing type stuff). In the 10s... who knows which spectrum they will play to.

They both get the job done, it's just done in a different matter.

:thumbdown::tongue::worthy:

I remember when I could bring people who have never been to a drum corps show to a show and have them walking out saying WOW that was cool. I tried bringing some newbies to a show this year and all they could say was what the #### was that I wouldn't do that again.

Edited by bmroth1

Back to the early 90's people not associated with marching bands or drum corps enjoyed going to drum corp shows. The stadiums were packed and people were entertained and money was made. Again if Drum Corp only wants to play to people in the marching community then all is great.

To each their own... personally I love where drum corps has come as an art form, and while I can only compare to the old stuff on the basis of the videos, there's a much higher range of emotions and ideas currently going on, to say nothing of the technical achievements of the ensembles. It's not that I don't respect the old stuff, I just prefer the new stuff.

You can talk smack all day long about how boring you think drum corps is today, but I know I'm not the only one who disagrees. There was a stadium of folks in Bloomington last year that seemed pretty entertained. Before that there was one in Pasadena, one in Madison, one in Foxboro, one in Denver, one in Orlando...

Fact of the matter, there's a lot of people who will never feel that their introduction to drum corps (or other forms of entertainment) can be topped. I hope I never stop appreciating new things.

Edited by Keith Laubhan

Back to the early 90's people not associated with marching bands or drum corps enjoyed going to drum corp shows. The stadiums were packed and people were entertained and money was made. Again if Drum Corp only wants to play to people in the marching community then all is great.

IMO, with unemployment as high as it is, I believe attendance has suffered because of it, along with all corps making money (or as much as they have in the past). Sorry to say, if one doesn't have a job, going to a drum corps show is not top on the list of things to do. ... just my thoughts.

Also, why can't we just give all the corps the credit they rightfully deserve? I'll admit, I've never marched (if you've seen me dance, you'd know why!) .. and I have yet to see every corps, but what these groups do, and the time they put into it, is just amazing. I know this site is set up so folks can have discussions, but why does anyone have to find something to complain about? With 2 weeks left in the season let's just take it all in and enjoy. Don't try to break down every step, why this corps moves this way, why this corps is scoring this and not higher. I'm not trying to slam anyone here, but my son is on a corp (I'm sure can figure out which) and I would just think if he or anyone marching was to read some of the things posted would think "Geez give us some credit for what we've done". Again with 2 weeks left someone has to come in and say "All the shows are boring, they should do this or that" .. sorry I just like to give credit where credit is due.

:thumbdown::tongue::worthy:

I remember when I could bring people who have never been to a drum corps show to a show and have them walking out saying WOW that was cool. I tried bringing some newbies to a show this year and all they could say was what the #### was that I wouldn't do that again.

So, they didnt like it?

You can talk smack all day long about how boring you think drum corps is today, but I know I'm not the only one who disagrees. There was a stadium of folks in Bloomington last year that seemed pretty entertained. Before that there was one in Pasadena, one in Madison, one in Foxboro, one in Denver, one in Orlando...

And from what I have seen from the ticket pre-sales, there is going to be a huge number of people in Indy this year :thumbdown: .

To each their own... personally I love where drum corps has come as an art form, and while I can only compare to the old stuff on the basis of the videos, there's a much higher range of emotions and ideas currently going on, to say nothing of the technical achievements of the ensembles. It's not that I don't respect the old stuff, I just prefer the new stuff.

Fact of the matter, there's a lot of people who will never feel that their introduction to drum corps (or other forms of entertainment) can be topped. I hope I never stop appreciating new things.

Well put .. :thumbdown: