Show concepts

• Replies 203
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In 2215, it will all be direct mind-interface VR experience.

And patriotic shows will be all the rage, following the second galactic war.

I am at the DCI show in Atlanta on Saturday and I was bored out of my mind. I've marched for years in corps from the 60's up to 2002 plus I attended music college.

To me these corps want to run faster than ever on the field , with no power, since corps back in the day with 30 horns were louder than 70 person lines today.

The music to me seems like a bunch of guys wanting to get their masters in composition. They take a melody and mix it up and twist it so that it hardly if ever resembles what they say it is suppose to be. If I want to hear west side story then play it... Next thing they will do porgy and bess, but make it a happy one, with country and symphonic overtures, with various key changes, Brilliant. Back when drum corp was in the business of entertaining (I know a bad thing) people came to shows to enjoy it and they did not have to be a middle, high or college marching student to understand it, they just came to be entertained. Most at the show were students, people who have marched or parents of kids in corps. People around me said this would be their last show, since they did not recognize one musical piece.

Bring back the entertainment of playing loud and having regular people get excited about watching drum corp.

Hornlines today have no power? check

Shows today have no melody? check

Designers aren't interested in entertaining? check

You need to be a music student to get into this stuff? check

Corps don't play anything you recognize? check

Hmm, this is pretty close to being a prototypical rant. I can't give you box 5 in music performance, though, because you didn't mention how every corps sounds the same and there's no identity. Your visual scores really suffered, because you neglected to mention that side of the activity at all. Possible areas of achievement would be to note the prancing, effete color guard, the cheesy bando uniforms, or even the way that music is being sacrificed for the visual. I do give you high marks in GE for the run-on paragraph, as well as for the inconsistent capitalization.

Does it sound like I've got this ranting thing down pat? I should, by now, as I've heard it all before. Yet I keep going to shows year after year, and I keep buying the CDs and DVDs every year. There are tens of thousands of fans at every major show who I assume must still enjoy what they're seeing. I'm sorry that you no longer enjoy what drum corps today are doing, I truly am, but remember that just because you are not entertained doesn't prevent the possibility that the stranger sitting next to you may think this is the best year of drum corps ever.

If these organizations are around for another 106 years... just that will be amazing. :thumbdown:

.... noticed that and changed the year to 2015...... typing can be such a" beach " sometimes ( haha!)

The early 90's.... really? I think there were just as many esoteric shows (if not more) then than there is now.

Cavaliers 1990

Cavaliers 1992

Cadets 1992

Star 1990

Star 1991

Star 1993

Phantom 1993

Did the "average fan" (people who are not musically educated) recognize any of the music in these shows? I mean that is like half of the top 3 shows from those years. Why did they enjoy the shows then and not now?

Good point. IMO it's all about cohort. When you're young and taking people to DCI for the first time, they're likely going to be people that have a lot of similar interests as you. Whatever drew you to drum corps, you're likely going to have friends that would be attracted to the same quality. To borrow from Lance and put it bluntly, you are/were a geek, and therefore likely to hang around with other geeks. As we age and our social circles change due to jobs and other responsibilities, it's much harder to find people that share our same interests. I feel that happening to me already, and I'm much younger than our OP.

A 30 piece hornline in the 70s is louder than most hornlines today? Did I <hear> you right? :thumbdown:

I dont know about you, but lines such as Crown, BD, and Cadets (to name a few) are loud as CRAP. I can't imagine hearing a corps louder than them. Anyways, times change. Look at movies or music, for example. There are untold numbers of classics that are great, sure, but are they better than the new blockbusters and chart toppers coming out today? It's just a different type of "great."

A 30 piece hornline in the 70s is louder than most hornlines today? Did I <hear> you right? :thumbdown:

I dont know about you, but lines such as Crown, BD, and Cadets (to name a few) are loud as CRAP. I can't imagine hearing a corps louder than them.

In all fairness, hornlines were much louder through the 70s, 80s, and 90s.

I'll take the trade-offs in overall quality of sound we have now, don't get me wrong, but getting equivalent volume to what it was 15 years ago is rare.

You marched in corps from the 60's to 2002? 42 years of marching?? Seems you would have aged out at some point!! :thumbdown:

Did you ever consider that maybe his time spent was all in SENIOR CORPS'...? No age out's. Just sayin......

I started in 1958 and haven't aged-out yet. Go figur......

No group of amateurs marching around twirling things and tooting on theings on a football field have ever done anything "esoteric."

Oh that word.

es⋅o⋅ter⋅ic

understood by or meant for only the select few who have special knowledge or interest

Couldn't one argue that the entirety of the drum corps activity is esoteric? :)