Show concepts

• Replies 203
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Did you ever consider that maybe his time spent was all in SENIOR CORPS'...? No age out's. Just sayin......

I started in 1958 and haven't aged-out yet. Go figur......

My sarasm was missed ... I'll try to be more blunt next time :thumbdown:

Wow,If you did not like Carolina Crown this year something is wrong with you.

The Georgia dome is gods gift to drum corps.All corps shows should be in domes.

Feh. I started marching in the mid-70s, and I can tell you that if any of the older guys who were instructing then tried putting on their 8-track of the '66 Holy Crusader Cadets from Anytown East Coast, USA, most of us would walk quickly and quietly in the opposite direction.

There were a few arrangers who knew what they were doing, but there wasn't much in the way of professionalism. The presentations generally had two flavors - loud and more loud - and intonation was considered a luxury for almost everyone. Bass drums literally played quarter notes. Split among the 3 guys in the line. The drill was comprised of 20 or 30 sets, marched at 132 bpm when the members were really hauling a__.

No offense to those who marched just ahead of me or during my time, but there's not much we were doing in the old shows that today's members couldn't learn in an afternoon. On their water break.

So is the talent better? Yes. The instruction? Yes. Are the shows more complex? Yes. Do they rely on music other than popular music of the day and pop standards from the 40s and 50s? Thank God, yes (but hey BD's got that retro thing going on). Does that mean that some folks aren't gonna be into it? Yes.

But guess what; the vast majority of America wasn't paying attention to drum corps 30 and 40 years ago either (and it was considered downright disreputable by most serious musicians). Considering what's being achieved now and the much higher profile it has over anytime in the past*, it would seem to be moving in a net positive direction. If that's not enough for some folks, there are always old recordings and the Legacy series DVDs.

* I was at a movie theater last night when the DCI trailer for Quarterfinals came on the screen - there was a noticeable buzz in the room when the thing was done, and it wasn't the sound of people chuckling at the 'band nerds.' In retrospect, it actually got more buzz than the snooze-inducing film that followed it... :thumbdown:

Edited by mobrien

Feh. I started marching in the mid-70s, and I can tell you that if any of the older guys who were instructing then tried putting on their 8-track of the '66 Holy Crusader Cadets from Anytown East Coast, USA, most of us would walk quickly and quietly in the opposite direction.

There were a few arrangers who knew what they were doing, but there wasn't much in the way of professionalism. The presentations generally had two flavors - loud and more loud - and intonation was considered a luxury for almost everyone. Bass drums literally played quarter notes. Split among the 3 guys in the line. The drill was comprised of 20 or 30 sets, marched at 132 bpm when the members were really hauling a__.

No offense to those who marched just ahead of me or during my time, but there's not much we were doing in the old shows that today's members couldn't learn in an afternoon. On their water break.

So is the talent better? Yes. The instruction? Yes. Are the shows more complex? Yes. Do they rely on music other than popular music of the day and pop standards from the 40s and 50s? Thank God, yes (but hey BD's got that retro thing going on). Does that mean that some folks aren't gonna be into it? Yes.

But guess what; the vast majority of America was paying attention to drum corps 30 and 40 years ago either (and it was considered downright disreputable by most serious musicians). Considering what's being achieved now and the much higher profile it has over anytime in the past, it would seem to be moving in a net positive direction. If that's not enough for some folks, there are always old recordings and the Legacy series DVDs.

Excellent post.

No group of amateurs marching around twirling things and tooting on theings on a football field have ever done anything "esoteric."

Oh that word.

es⋅o⋅ter⋅ic –adjective

1. understood by or meant for only the select few who have special knowledge or interest

By that definition, all drum corps is esoteric.

esâ‹…oâ‹…terâ‹…ic

understood by or meant for only the select few who have special knowledge or interest

Couldn't one argue that the entirety of the drum corps activity is esoteric? :)

Wow... we must think alike. :thumbdown:

If I want to hear west side story then play it...

Yes sir!!

In all fairness, hornlines were much louder through the 70s, 80s, and 90s.

Missed almost all the 90s, but yeah the volume is missing from what I remember from the 70s and 80s. But... let's not forget the "more like a bugle" type construction compared to todays "#### near a concert" MB horns of today. (What I wouldn't give for my old P/R Bari so I can compare volume to my current key o' G 3v horn.)

I'll take the trade-offs in overall quality of sound we have now, don't get me wrong, but getting equivalent volume to what it was 15 years ago is rare.

Seems like the philosophy is: play in control and in blend with everyone else at the expense of volume and/or excitement. #### you'd think with the level of talent and training in todays corps, they would be able to achieve volume with both control and balance. Best example of doing it all I can think of is about a minute into 2005 SF Renegades. At Prelims we were OUTSIDE the stadium and it was louder than Hades. Then after listeneing to it on CD about a hundred times, the balance still amazes me.

During Finals the guy next to me just kept saying "Oh man, this is nuts... I love Drum Corps". :thumbdown:

Edited by JimF-3rdBari