Show concepts

honestly, after watching the latest fan network stuff:

i dont think it's what they choose to play. i think it's the arrangement of it.

• Replies 203
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here we go again.

Good thing there are still people out there who like what the corps are doing these days.

I can't say I understand your pain because I never heard of drum corps until 1995. But to me this sounds like the same old argument where the old school drum corps is better than new school drum corps. I think both "schools" deserve the same amount of respect because you guys gave us what we have today.

This is what happens when we evolve as a community.

this is perfect.

Seems I'm in the minority here, but I certainly agree with the original post. I left the dome very disapointed from show standpoints and the changes I witnessed in drum corps from my last show attended.

I understand that times are going to change which means drastic changes to drum corps. I hadn't been to a show in some five years and I was stunned at all the changes......piped in sounds???? (just ridiculous). Blue Devils with white stripes from head to toe???? wow. But, I guess those are just the changes over the years I've missed, and while I don't like them, it's just the way it is.

My biggest thing, though, were the shows for two reasons.

First.....pretty much all were just flat boring. I'll admit Crown and Boston were really cool, but even those could have been so much more. Where have the "WOW" moments gone in drum corps? You know what I mean by the "WOW" moment....that big drill move, drum break, horn break, anything that draws an explosive crowd reaction. That was missing. And it obviously wasn't just me. You could tell by the crowd. I literally watched people in the stands dosing off during shows. It's those "WOW" moments that leave the lasting memories...... Cadets and the Z-pull, Phantom's 360 spin in the wedge, Cavies fight club, Blue Devils screaming sops and drums beating the ever leaving sh** out of the heads, Scouts and the rotating company front and charging forward, etc etc etc. There are ZERO memorable moments in the shows I saw this year and it was evident by the lack of standing ovations during the shows and the subdued standing ovations after the shows that seemed more like courtesy standing Os than an excited throwing babies reaction.

I don't care that shows are more sophisticated or whatever the excuse. Hell, you could play the life and death of a butterfly, but by god do something to get the crowd off their butts. That's what has always made drum corps exciting.

Second, it really seems corps have lost some of their identity of sound. In the past, all the way up until I quit going to shows a few years ago, you could close your eyes, put a show on and immediately tell which corps it was by their sound. That doesn't seem to be the case now. Everyone just sounds the same. It's not the change to B-flat horns because like I said, I could tell corps apart a few years ago. Something seems to have happened in the last five years.

OK...I'm off my soapbox. And on a side note, I'm happy to be a part of the DCP now with my first ever post.

Seems I'm in the minority here, but I certainly agree with the original post. I left the dome very disapointed from show standpoints and the changes I witnessed in drum corps from my last show attended.

I understand that times are going to change which means drastic changes to drum corps. I hadn't been to a show in some five years and I was stunned at all the changes......piped in sounds???? (just ridiculous). Blue Devils with white stripes from head to toe???? wow. But, I guess those are just the changes over the years I've missed, and while I don't like them, it's just the way it is.

My biggest thing, though, were the shows for two reasons.

First.....pretty much all were just flat boring. I'll admit Crown and Boston were really cool, but even those could have been so much more. Where have the "WOW" moments gone in drum corps? You know what I mean by the "WOW" moment....that big drill move, drum break, horn break, anything that draws an explosive crowd reaction. That was missing. And it obviously wasn't just me. You could tell by the crowd. I literally watched people in the stands dosing off during shows. It's those "WOW" moments that leave the lasting memories...... Cadets and the Z-pull, Phantom's 360 spin in the wedge, Cavies fight club, Blue Devils screaming sops and drums beating the ever leaving sh** out of the heads, Scouts and the rotating company front and charging forward, etc etc etc. There are ZERO memorable moments in the shows I saw this year and it was evident by the lack of standing ovations during the shows and the subdued standing ovations after the shows that seemed more like courtesy standing Os than an excited throwing babies reaction.

I don't care that shows are more sophisticated or whatever the excuse. Hell, you could play the life and death of a butterfly, but by god do something to get the crowd off their butts. That's what has always made drum corps exciting.

Second, it really seems corps have lost some of their identity of sound. In the past, all the way up until I quit going to shows a few years ago, you could close your eyes, put a show on and immediately tell which corps it was by their sound. That doesn't seem to be the case now. Everyone just sounds the same. It's not the change to B-flat horns because like I said, I could tell corps apart a few years ago. Something seems to have happened in the last five years.

OK...I'm off my soapbox. And on a side note, I'm happy to be a part of the DCP now with my first ever post.

Eeek! Not touchin' this!

I have English and History degrees, but I can tell a g line by the bass sound most of the time. I miss the volume in DCI.

Thanks for the tip, will have to check the bass at DCA. Will have to make sure we're in our seats before and after the G powered Renegades for comparision.

Good thing there are still people out there who like what the corps are doing these days.

Agreed.... even if I'm not one of them

I think both "schools" deserve the same amount of respect....

Agree again... And might I add that it IS alright if people disagree on what they like/don't like. Jeez, can you image fans of any other genre of music telling each other that what they like sucks or they're wrong for liking/not liking it. :thumbup:

Jeez, can you image fans of any other genre of music telling each other that what they like sucks or they're wrong for liking/not liking it. :thumbup:

Sadly, yes... It happens all the time, if not more so than it does here. I think it's especially common in rock and hip-hop.

At least here, the vast majority of us here can find common ground on the skill and hard work of the performers, because most of us have been members before. That is a double-edged sword, though. A lot of us think we're "experts" on the activity, when reality, even having marched, that's not the case.

I'm not sure I have much of great intelligence to add other than I tend to find the "old drum corps was so much better" argument enduringly obnoxious. Each year has memorable and unmemorable moments. e.g. Sparticus is a show people will talk about for years to come. It was exciting. It was also a show only the modern era could bring to the table. SCV made my hair stand on end this year. Some shows do it for me, others don't. Hasn't it been like this every year? Just because the object of drum corps is no longer to rip the faces off the audience every minute and a half takes nothing away from the enjoyment I experience watching these corps. These kids continue to work their rear ends off to bring greatness to an audience. A little respect. :thumbup:

As for each generation preferring the music of it's own generation, this is not entirely true ( just somewhat true ). The most " popular " radio music stations are the radio stations that play.... no surprise...... the older R & R classics. It doesn't matter what section of the country one goes to either. The music stations that play the music of earlier decades are the rage..... even with the younger demographic age group. Songs that people have heard a hundred times before are still songs many people would like to hear 110 times. Some of us can still appreciate the Alternative Rock Music radio stations despite our advancing years. But this does not mean that this music has more appeal among both young and old alike. It doesn't. Even among the young. The R & R Classics still carry the day with the young and old alike. And the biggest musical acts out there, with the biggest draw of both young and old alike are still the Rock and Roll Bands from the 60's, 70's., 80's playing the same songs over and over again for 35 or more years now.

Where does "Classic" R & R come from? All those songs were new at some point, and had to be fairly popular in order to become "classic". I don't imagine folks in the music industry are sitting around saying "Well, we've got enough great old music now. We can stop making new music."

I'm not sure I have much of great intelligence to add other than I tend to find the "old drum corps was so much better" argument enduringly obnoxious. Each year has memorable and unmemorable moments. e.g. Sparticus is a show people will talk about for years to come. It was exciting. It was also a show only the modern era could bring to the table. SCV made my hair stand on end this year. Some shows do it for me, others don't. Hasn't it been like this every year? Just because the object of drum corps is no longer to rip the faces off the audience every minute and a half takes nothing away from the enjoyment I experience watching these corps. These kids continue to work their rear ends off to bring greatness to an audience. A little respect. :tongue:

i agree. i dont need rip my face off. but I need some semblance of melody and i dont see that in enough of the arrangements