Would you be OK with Phantom Regiment winning DCI this year?

Poll  

242 members have voted

1. 1. Would you be OK with Phantom Regiment winning DCI this year, with this show in its current form?

• Yes
    • No

Boston has as good a show as any of the top 5.

It seems to me that you are making a similar statement to Hrothgar's in the OP, just with a different corps filled into the blank. I don't agree. I think the top 5 corps have been identified correctly by the judges, and the FN videos make the reasons for their decisions pretty clear.

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It really is a strange question. Would I be OK with it? Sure, if they put a winning show out there. But to get to that level would require overhauling the whole visual show, and some major guard rewrites and execution. The fact is, there just isn't enough time to do it.

But, at least they aren't throwing in the towel and announcing their show for the next season. They'll work this show as best they can, and take whatever placement with grace.

Garry in Vegas

isnt gonna happen, no need to worry about it. the show loses me in the middle and there is still dirt

It seems to me that you are making a similar statement to Hrothgar's in the OP, just with a different corps filled into the blank. I don't agree. I think the top 5 corps have been identified correctly by the judges, and the FN videos make the reasons for their decisions pretty clear.

I really had to think about his comment for a minute. And he did say they have a top five 5 show. Not that he thought they should be in the top 5. And Boston's show is just great all around. Love it! Just not top 5 in terms of execution though.

Edited by Feathers Up

I believe what the OP is going for is whether fantastic music alone is enough to get a title.

Let's put it this way -- let's say one corps' musical book and performance is so far above everybody else's. Would you feel that is enough to justify that corps winning a championship even if their visual design is less than the others, although performed well?

It gets back to what do you value: music, drill, or the combination.

As much as I love Phantom's music year in and year out, this is a marching activity, so I can't discount the design from the equation, even if I prefer the musical aspects. I grew up in this activity with a "music first" approach, but it's still "music first", not "music only". Like bawker, I really don't give a hoot who the judges pick vs who I enjoy, but I do care for the sake of the competitive activity that the judges follow their own rules. This show just doesn't have championship calibur written into it imo, no matter how well performed and no matter how much the musical performance appeals to me.

So I think I understand the OP's question .... but, no.

If you really think they have a top 3 show, I think you should spend more time watching and listening to the videos of the actual top 3!

I've seen all the World Class shows this year...just saying Phantom entertained me more in Atlanta than Blue Devils, Cavaliers, and Cadets (who got 4th). Not Crown though...I was entertained by Crown the most. I'd say Phantom and Crown had the most entertaining shows of the night, worth the price of admission alone.

I've seen all the World Class shows this year...just saying Phantom entertained me more in Atlanta than Blue Devils, Cavaliers, and Cadets (who got 4th). Not Crown though...I was entertained by Crown the most. I'd say Phantom and Crown had the most entertaining shows of the night, worth the price of admission alone.

Do you see a difference between "entertained me" and "top 3" in show design? Phantom is entertaining, and they have a sweet music book - no argument from me on those points. But in 2009 DCI, that gets you ... somewhere between 7th & 9th place.

I guess I'm not really clear on what you're arguing in this thread. If you want to say that you like PR's show, regardless of where they place, more power to you. I'll even agree with you.

On the other hand, if you're arguing that PR is being misjudged and deserves to place much higher, or even win, I think you need to (a) bring a lot more evidence to make the case, and (b) take a second look at those Atlanta performances via FN, remembering that visual is (at least) 50% of the score.

I guess I'm not really clear on what you're arguing in this thread. If you want to say that you like PR's show, regardless of where they place, more power to you. I'll even agree with you.

Just asking DCP if they would be OK with Phantom winning.