Would you be OK with Phantom Regiment winning DCI this year?

Poll  

242 members have voted

1. 1. Would you be OK with Phantom Regiment winning DCI this year, with this show in its current form?

• Yes
    • No

My question is why aren't Phantom's music scores higher than they are? It IS possible for a corps to have top 3 quality in music and be bottom 3 in visual. If Regiment can clean all those runs, I hope they get credit for them by Finals. That closer is a big ol' Finger Fest.

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would be okay with that show winning if they were at a championship level of cleanliness.... I don't think that is even close to possible though, considering how much work they would have to do in just 2 weeks. Even further, I don't think this show has quite the demand of Spartacus, so to win, I think they would have to be even cleaner than they were last year.... pretty darned impossible with that show right now.

I'm still going to enjoy the h*ll out of it at championships. :worthy:

Couldnt disagree more. Everyone has a different opinion of what's entertaining. One guy is entertained by Cavaliers and another by Blue Knights. There is no easy reconciling of those two stances.

Funny choice of an example; those are routinely my two favorite corps :worthy:

Funny choice of an example; those are routinely my two favorite corps :worthy:

Was actually thinking of you with the Blue Knights inclusion. I forgot that you're also a big Cavaliers fan. :worthy:

Anyway, I was just trying to present two dissimilar styles as examples of what some folks find entertaining. The fact that you manage to cross over these particular two -- well I guess that just goes to show that there's someone out there for every conceivable permutation of what "entertaining" means ... :devil:

Yeah, the part at the end of the opener where the mellos reprise the Paganini theme slowly and hold out the high A for a good five seconds before the rest of the corps comes back in to finish it off is SO BAD. So bad that I gave them a standing O for that. And that smooth as cream jazz in the second movement is SO BAD as well.

Yea, it is pretty bad. The mello tone quality makes me sick.

Really no such thing as tone "quality" in drum corps. Maybe tone "preference" is a better term.

Was actually thinking of you with the Blue Knights inclusion. I forgot that you're also a big Cavaliers fan. :worthy:

Anyway, I was just trying to present two dissimilar styles as examples of what some folks find entertaining. The fact that you manage to cross over these particular two -- well I guess that just goes to show that there's someone out there for every conceivable permutation of what "entertaining" means ... :worthy:

Hehe, so in a way, I helped to take your point even further. It's a point I agree with, of course. Our OP is fond of saying that entertainment is objective and not subjective. Unfortunately, due to years of arguments on these boards I can attest that that's simply not the case.

Have you ever heard a great French Horn section get really raspy sound in something like a Mahler Symphony.... I would say that the tones Phantom's mellos are getting at this part are pretty similar.

It's not supposed to be a "pretty" sound..... it is supposed to be powerful, dramatic, and piercing.