Richmond Roundup

That's how it used to be in "the old days". Every show was judged on its own. If you had a good show one night, your score reflected it. If you had a bad show the next night, your score reflected that. That's how it should be.

Agreed, each show should be judged independently.

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Just talked to my grandson in the Blue Knights: "He said it started raining hard in the middle of the show and the field became very slick and 3 of his tuba mates slipped and fell during the show." Give them a break and some positive vibes. They'll come through. Of course, this is a grandmother speaking and I am definitely biased!

Thanks for the info, that is interesting. I'm not being to hard on them. I just want them to score better than 11th. I'm a die hard BK fan so I'm silly and get invested in them. Wish I could march BK, but I don't have the money or the skills.

Not sure why you think it is a slap down? They beat Blue Stars in GE for the first time this year, beat them in percussion and tied them in Music or close to it... Vis was their problem tonight but it was Vis Ensemble which was not the low vis number last week.... They're having a score flux here and there but this is the same Blue Stars that two pointed the G-Men last night and beat BK by only a point tonight.... Plus I was quite impressed with the progress they have made from San Antonio... They still have musical and visual cleaning to do, but I think they'll peak at finals week.... I have a feeling we're gonna see a rise from them!!!

How much better are they doing this year? Go back and take a look at their Allentown performance from a year ago... They were a visual mess.... That was good for 8th going into finals week... This year they are still somewhat dirty but have much better form control, spacial awareness and overall feet... I feel that the show they have this year is one of those that is gonna take until te final moment to clean... GO BK, Shiver Me Timber!!!

Wes Perkins

BK '97 '98

I would call it a slapdown because I don't like 11th. :sigh: Positive vibes are coming back though. I hope you are right about them cleaning it up right at the end; we shall see. I'm definitely anticipating Quarters. Don't worry Wes, I'm on their side. :thumbup:

Nice jump by BK! Moved up two points from Murf, and gained nearly a point on Blue Stars.

Would LOVE to see BK pass BS.

And I think it might just happen.

last 2 weeks are going to be very interesting.

Would LOVE to see BK pass BS.

And I think it might just happen.

last 2 weeks are going to be very interesting.

and I would love to see Gmen over both

Edited by Silver_King

Unless... *gasp* they end up placing higher than 5th this year?

INCONCEIVABLE

The point I was making doesn't have anything to do with Vanguard, really. Pick any spot in the Atlanta rankings and that corps is already pretty close to scoring what that spot received in quarterfinals last year. Heck, Blue Stars were in ninth for both contests, and their Atlanta score is only .6 off (87.50 to 88.10). We're now about a week from quarterfinals, I'd be surprised if anyone's score goes up much.

That's how it used to be in "the old days". Every show was judged on its own. If you had a good show one night, your score reflected it. If you had a bad show the next night, your score reflected that. That's how it should be.

I agree that is how it should be. However, at this point in the season corps are beginning to perform with a high degree of consistency. The difference in a "good" show and a "bad" show relative to one caption this time of year could reasonably be reflected by an increase or decrease 3 or 4 tenths, maybe even 5 or 6 tenths, but do you honestly expect me to believe that their GE music was so much more horrible than the previous night as to reflect a 1.6 drop in that caption alone? Ummmm, NO. That is excessive and constitues a DUMP! With that said, it was a podunk show and I firmly believe this happens to every corps at least a few times during the season, so I'm chalking this one up as a judges brain fart and moving on.

Edited by BozzlyB

I agree that is how it should be. However, at this point in the season corps are beginning to perform with a high degree of consistency. The difference in a "good" show and a "bad" show relative to one caption this time of year could reasonably be reflected by an increase or decrease 3 or 4 tenths, maybe even 5 or 6 tenths, but do you honestly expect me to believe that their GE music was so much more horrible than the previous night as to reflect a 1.6 drop in that caption alone? Ummmm, NO.

I disagree. Granted, I wasn't there at the show, so it's completely hypothetical, but corps have off nights for all sorts of reasons. It happens. Did it happen last night? Only the people who were there know. But to completely dismiss it as impossible is, IMO, not realistic.

I think this show is just further proof that you can never accurately compare scores show-to-show. There's just too many variables.

I think about the best you can hope for is looking at spreads, and even that is an inexact science.

Edited by Keith Laubhan

What gets me is that whenever there is a significant drop in a corps' score, the judges are automatically wrong, but whenever there is a significant increase, the judges are automatically right. How about we accept the scores the judges give and move on?