Quarterfinals on The Big Screen

• Replies 306
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So i was at the BLL6 at the Bridge in Los Angeles, CA. Now i didn't read thru all 30 pages of this. But did anyone else feel that the volume was horrible? I've been going to all the BLL broadcasts since 2005, and this was by far the worst one. Not shows, but volume wise. it felt like i was watching it from the cheap seat in camp randell stadium. Heck even there the sound is louder than ever! But i guess all i'm saying is that if they're broadcasting in HD then the audio should be "HD" as well. I did notice that after the 1st 3 corps when on, next to the pits were some guys standing w/ Boom Mics. Now that the pits are super amplified. all those deep moments BLUR the music being played behind them because the mics are like 10ft away from the pit. But i guess the theater i was at just didn't want to raise the volume. given movies are being played to the left and right and underneath. well just my 2 cents.

Ya. The bass was ridiculous. Synthesizers anyone? Every time a power chord was hit, the pit bass completely overtook the brass line. Turn it down! Maybe it was the theater?

I was at Pacific Place in Seattle, and there were 20 folks max in the theater. Now, what really bugged me was the screen quality. I saw it another theater last year, and it was actually worse this time around :smile:. Which is interesting, now that I just learned from you guys it was supposed to be shot in HD. There was little color/saturation in it and it looked almost black and white. That giant drape looked cool at first, but then I realized how dark it made the cinecast.

Quick review:

Cavies - sorry, but I don't even remember their show except for one visual move. The theme wasn't holding for me. Still demanding and great, though.

BD - My favorite part must be the Happy Days opener. Brings back wonderful memories for many people.

HNC - Hoho! It's great to have a bit of the old Garfield back. I thoroughly enjoyed the show and how demanding the drill was.

SCV - Precise, dead on, and innovative. Very SCV. However, a lot in my theater booed when Cadets beat them, but I beg to differ. It was close, but I think Cadets took that one by a slim margin.

PR - The downside to having a landmark year is that its so hard to match it in subsequent seasons. I loved the show, it was very PR, but I felt like there was something missing.

Crown - Crown keeps getting better and better. You CAN actually notice a level of difference in their brass than other top corps. I enjoyed it, but I didn't entirely get the grass is greener theme.

Boston - Boston, I love you, but I just didn't get your show.

Blue Stars - WOW, I love it! The narrative recordings were perfect, and the war theme was remarkable. One of the more memorable themes of the night. Some sore visual spots, but great overall.

Sorry, I can't remember anyone else, but I want to make a point about Troopers and Colts. I am SO glad to see the Troopers coming back stronger and stronger every year, but I think Colts ousted them QF night. I think the Troopers definitely beat the Colts in music, but there were definitely yucky moments in the drill which makes me disagree with the visual caption.

Anyway, there were also lots of 'chuckle' moments other than the BC squatting part. I can't recall now, but a lot of cheeky smiles from guard members and such that garnered a ripple of laughter in our theater.

Boston - Boston, I love you, but I just didn't get your show.

It's all about temptation (the temptress, the apple, etc.). Maybe that didn't come across in the theatre, though.

It's all about temptation (the temptress, the apple, etc.). Maybe that didn't come across in the theatre, though.

If it came across any clearer in the theatre, an orgy would have erupted during the Bacchanal.

Got to say I was generally disappointed. First the show started an hour earlier than reported (from what I could find).

The sound was strange. You could hear a pin drop - the pit and soloists came across well. Any quiet parts worked. As soon as the sound started to build, it seemed there was a limiter at the board or something. The volume of every performance stayed the same all the way through - no power at all.

Yeah I guess I had the time wrong too. I came late based on the time I thought it started and then realized I had missed a whole hour.

Sound was a bit weak but you can never truly replicate live sound. I did notice a drop in sound throughout the night during large hits though. That sucked.