Ricola or Western Wall?

If it's made of brass, it's not a shofar. Shofars are made from a rams' or similar animals' horn.

Saxophones are made of brass...are they brass instruments?

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A shofar is a bell-front brass instrument so...yes!

Now I just need to know where to find those shofars in G. Those were always louder, you know. :thumbup:

I learn something every day on DCP

I thought a shofar was where my wife tells me I'll probably find the remote for the TV when it's missing,.... ie " look over there, under the shofar Hun "

Edited by BRASSO

A shofar is a bell-front brass instrument so...yes!

Now I just need to know where to find those shofars in G. Those were always louder, you know. :thumbup:

haha...but if a a shofar is a bell-front brass instrument, wouldn't a half-filled perrier bottle be closer to a woodwind? (flute-ish?)

Saxophones are made of brass...are they brass instruments?

A sax is not a religious implement governed by religious restrictions.

A sax is not a religious implement governed by religious restrictions.

Shofar

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A shofar is an instrument made from the horn of a ram or other kosher animal. It was used in ancient Israel to announce the New Moon (Rosh Chodesh) and call people together. It was also blown on Rosh Hashanah, marking the beginning of the New Year, signifying both need to wake up to the call to repentance, and in connection with the portion read on the second day of Rosh Hashanah, the Binding of Isaac (Genesis, chapter 22) in which Abraham sacrifices a ram in place of his son, Isaac.

Today, the shofar is featured most prominently in the Rosh Hashanah morning services. It is considered a commandment to hear the shofar blown.

There is a great deal of symbolism tied in with the legal requirements for what constitutes a proper shofar. The shofar of Rosh Hashanah, whose purpose it is to rouse the Divine in the listener, may not be constructed of an artificial instrument. It must be an instrument in its natural form and naturally hollow, through whom sound is produced by human breath, which God breathes into human beings. This pure, and natural sound, symbolizes the lives it calls Jews to lead. What is more, the most desirable shofar is the bent horn of a ram. The ram reminds one of Abraham's willing sacrifice of that which was most precious to him. The curve in the horn mirrors the contrition of the one who repents.

Shofar

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A shofar is an instrument made from the horn of a ram or other kosher animal. It was used in ancient Israel to announce the New Moon (Rosh Chodesh) and call people together. It was also blown on Rosh Hashanah, marking the beginning of the New Year, signifying both need to wake up to the call to repentance, and in connection with the portion read on the second day of Rosh Hashanah, the Binding of Isaac (Genesis, chapter 22) in which Abraham sacrifices a ram in place of his son, Isaac.

Today, the shofar is featured most prominently in the Rosh Hashanah morning services. It is considered a commandment to hear the shofar blown.

There is a great deal of symbolism tied in with the legal requirements for what constitutes a proper shofar. The shofar of Rosh Hashanah, whose purpose it is to rouse the Divine in the listener, may not be constructed of an artificial instrument. It must be an instrument in its natural form and naturally hollow, through whom sound is produced by human breath, which God breathes into human beings. This pure, and natural sound, symbolizes the lives it calls Jews to lead. What is more, the most desirable shofar is the bent horn of a ram. The ram reminds one of Abraham's willing sacrifice of that which was most precious to him. The curve in the horn mirrors the contrition of the one who repents.

I'm Jewish, I know what a shofar is. But if we use "brass" to mean "labrosone," then it's a brass instrument, with it's bell in front and is thus allowed in DCI.

I am envisioning a company front with 60 alpenhorns. Maybe the would need to put a little wheel underneath the bell so they can move the front forward.

Either way, I just thought it was a bit bizzare to see an instrument being played in a show related to a region (be it the Rockies or the Alps) that has nothing to do with the Jewish culture.

I'm Jewish, I know what a shofar is. But if we use "brass" to mean "labrosone," then it's a brass instrument, with it's bell in front and is thus allowed in DCI.

Perhaps for DCI purposes a shofar can be considered a brass instrument, but the converse is not true; a brass instrument cannot be considered a shofar. By the way, shalom!

This thread is close and yet Shofar

Bad puns aside, here's a shofar related anecdote. A few years ago, my synagogue joined several others in the North Shore of Greater Boston area in an effort to recapture the Guinness Book of World Records title for the most people sounding the shofar at one time. The group held the record several years previously, but had been knocked out of the book by the Greater Philadelphia region. The foundation of a local philanthropist (recently badly financially hurt in the Maddoff scandal) financed the training and the cost of the shofars. I though I was hot stuff because I could play the calls for Conquest on the shofar. When the big day arrived, over 700 of us shofar blowers along with Guinness officials walked from the Temple down to the beach to set the record. I noticed a woman participating who had a number of Christian tattoos on her arms. (You didn't have to be Jewish to be included. Some Christian groups helped out.) She had a shofar that was much larger than the ones we had been provided with, and she played it with pride. I joked to my wife that we had soprano shofars, but she had a baritone. Anyway, I introduced myself to her and told her about my drum corps, the Boston Crusaders Seniors. It turns out that she can play any brass instrument. It took a few efforts in communication, but she has been playing first baritone with my Crusaders for three years now.

We did set the Guinness record, and some people claim that after the sounding, several love sick whales made them selves known.