Ricola or Western Wall?

Bad puns aside, here's a shofar related anecdote. A few years ago, my synagogue joined several others in the North Shore of Greater Boston area in an effort to recapture the Guinness Book of World Records title for the most people sounding the shofar at one time. The group held the record several years previously, but had been knocked out of the book by the Greater Philadelphia region. The foundation of a local philanthropist (recently badly financially hurt in the Maddoff scandal) financed the training and the cost of the shofars. I though I was hot stuff because I could play the calls for Conquest on the shofar. When the big day arrived, over 700 of us shofar blowers along with Guinness officials walked from the Temple down to the beach to set the record. I noticed a woman participating who had a number of Christian tattoos on her arms. (You didn't have to be Jewish to be included. Some Christian groups helped out.) She had a shofar that was much larger than the ones we had been provided with, and she played it with pride. I joked to my wife that we had soprano shofars, but she had a baritone. Anyway, I introduced myself to her and told her about my drum corps, the Boston Crusaders Seniors. It turns out that she can play any brass instrument. It took a few efforts in communication, but she has been playing first baritone with my Crusaders for three years now.

We did set the Guinness record, and some people claim that after the sounding, several love sick whales made them selves known.

IDEA:

Drum and shofar corps.

:tongue:

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Perhaps it is legal under the same rule that allows slide whistles, sirens, and train whistles to be used?

Saxophones are made of brass...are they brass instruments?

No, they're a woodwind, because it's a wooden reed vibrating inside a mouthpiece.

No, they're a woodwind, because it's a wooden reed vibrating inside a mouthpiece.

Right, this is the argument I was trying to mike. Brass has come to refer to the way in which the instrument is played rather than the material out of which it is made.

Perhaps it is legal under the same rule that allows slide whistles, sirens, and train whistles to be used?

Interesting....makes me wonder if a corps couldn't use ancient Aztec/Mayan instrumentation like that used by Xavier Quijas Yxayotl

Some amazing stuff he does...been to a couple of his concerts and have been blown away with what he does. There was one section at a small private home concert where the audience members participated. Each had an instrument that mimicked a sound out of nature...a frog calling, a babbling brook, etc....the total effect sounded EXACTLY like being at a remote creek in the early evening with wildlife about...amazing.

A large corps couldn't do it without amplification....but a smaller corps might. I could handle amping THOSE instruments (which is what the amp rule was really about) than have the same sounds out of a synth. The synth sounds are artificially created durign the show...at least an amped babbling brook effect is created at the time of performance by the PERFORMER.

Interesting....makes me wonder if a corps couldn't use ancient Aztec/Mayan instrumentation like that used by Xavier Quijas Yxayotl

Some amazing stuff he does...been to a couple of his concerts and have been blown away with what he does. There was one section at a small private home concert where the audience members participated. Each had an instrument that mimicked a sound out of nature...a frog calling, a babbling brook, etc....the total effect sounded EXACTLY like being at a remote creek in the early evening with wildlife about...amazing.

A large corps couldn't do it without amplification....but a smaller corps might. I could handle amping THOSE instruments (which is what the amp rule was really about) than have the same sounds out of a synth. The synth sounds are artificially created durign the show...at least an amped babbling brook effect is created at the time of performance by the PERFORMER.

I took a music course in which the instructor stated that a piano is technically a percussion instrument because of the striking mechanism, wherefor a harpsechord is a stringed instrument because of the plucking action.

I took a music course in which the instructor stated that a piano is technically a percussion instrument because of the striking mechanism, wherefor a harpsechord is a stringed instrument because of the plucking action.

I've always been taught that a piano is a percussion instrument. What do others call it?

• 2 weeks later...