Ricola or Western Wall?

Two thoughts:

1) I believe a shofar is categorized as a percussion instrument and is therefore legal to use in a DCI show.

2) I can't believe that someone would pay several thousand dollars to march and play for 7 seconds and march to the corner of the field.

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This thread is close and yet Shofar

That's the best reaction to this thread, shofar, anyway.

But seriously, how is a shofar a percussion instrument? Maybe that explains why I have such a hard time playing it - I should try striking it rather than blowing.

If Cavies were really serious they would march a shofar section. I think 20 would be enough.
Saxophones are made of brass...are they brass instruments?

I'm not sure if even divine intervention could tune 20 shofars! This would be worse to tune then even 200 saxaphones, beleive it or not.

Right, this is the argument I was trying to mike. Brass has come to refer to the way in which the instrument is played rather than the material out of which it is made.

Of all the arguments you've made to me, Mike missed that one. Sorry, I'll pay better attention next time. :satisfied:

Is that legal..seriously...I am just curious...not trying stir up stuff

Spirit had a ####### bass guitar in the pit ... After that I can't see questioning the legitimacy of a shofar.

The thing that was kind of weird was they had a soprano mouthpiece stuck into it. People who are used to kicking it old testament, er, school, would never do that.

While we are on the subject of legality. Does anyone know the official rules about the brass instruments that can be used? I hear bell front used alot. If this is the only rule, I'm quite surprised we haven't yet seen a trombone section in DCI. Or is the rule restrictive to valved, bell front brass?

And while I'm at it, here's what some brief shofar research has turned up. Apparently, no reed inside or out

A shofar may be created from the horn of any kosher male animal from the Bovidae family except for cattle, which is specifically excluded. In practice two species are generally used: the Ashkenazi shofar is a domestic ram (see sheep), while the Sefardi shofar is a kudu.

Bovidae horns are made of keratin (the same material as human toenails and fingernails). An antler, on the other hand, is not a horn but solid bone. Antlers cannot be used as a shofar because they cannot be hollowed out.

A crack or hole in the shofar affecting the sound renders it unfit for ceremonial use. A shofar may not be painted in colors, but it may be carved with artistic designs (Shulkhan Arukh, Orach Chayim, 586, 17). Shofars (especially the Sephardi shofars) are often plated with silver across part of their length for display purposes, although this invalidates them for use in religious practices. According to Jewish law women and minors are exempt from the commandment of hearing the shofar blown (as is the case with any positive, time-bound commandment), but they are encouraged to attend the ceremony.

The horn is flattened and shaped by the application of heat, which softens it. A hole is made from the tip of the horn to the natural hollow inside. It is played much like a European brass instrument, with the player blowing through the hole, causing the air column inside to vibrate. Sephardi shofars usually have a carved mouthpiece resembling that of a European trumpet or French horn, but smaller. Ashkenazi shofars do not.

Because the hollow of the shofar is irregular in shape, the harmonics obtained when playing the instrument can vary: rather than a pure perfect fifth, intervals as narrow as a fourth, or as wide as a sixth may be produced.

While we are on the subject of legality. Does anyone know the official rules about the brass instruments that can be used? I hear bell front used alot. If this is the only rule, I'm quite surprised we haven't yet seen a trombone section in DCI. Or is the rule restrictive to valved, bell front brass?

Yes, re the bolded part. Also, zero to 4 valves.

Well, zero to four valves doesn't necessarily restrict trombone then does it? Since, technically, they have zero valves. Just wondering...

Well, zero to four valves doesn't necessarily restrict trombone then does it? Since, technically, they have zero valves. Just wondering...

Bell front without slides.