Ricola or Western Wall?

Cool, thanks for the clarification, I was just unsure as to the exact rules.

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've long had a Rosh Hashanah fantasy around this subject. Nearly every year, I close my eyes just before the rabbi begins the shofar blowing. As he gives the order to blow by saying "Tekiah," I open my eyes and hope to see arrayed around the sanctuary the entire Blue Devils horn line in full regalia raising their horns for the sort of blast the congregation can't yet imagine.

Alas, it hasn't happened. But that's what prayer if for. Maybe?

An alternative fantasy is that some corps does an all-Jewish program (there is a rich and varied book from which to choose). The show would begin not with the typical count but with the drum major giving the traditional shofar command: Tekiah!

Note to the new: Jewish music has been done before. In addition to SCV's Fiddler on the Roof, see Blue Stars 1977 for Jerusalem of Gold (great ballad), Hatikvah (Israel's national anthem) and Hava Nagila. No one has yet been able to explain to me how the Blue Stars from LaCROSSE, Wis., chose three Jewish-themed songs in one year. Feel free if you know.

HH

2) I can't believe that someone would pay several thousand dollars to march and play for 7 seconds and march to the corner of the field.

What? I haven't seen their show live since June so I haven't seen the corner of the field since then but I thought that person standing at the corner was a new soprano who was marching with only his drillbook in rehearsal... Are you sure this person does nothing but play the shofar and then stand there?

• 1 year later...
Bell front without slides.

So, when the V/R bugle came into existence, the old G-D single piston with slide became illegal?

I think the rule simply exempts trombones and Sousaphones. Everything else brass and bell front is allowed.

If this is not true, it would be nice if someone with a current rule book would post the rule.

Garry in Vegas

So, when the V/R bugle came into existence, the old G-D single piston with slide became illegal?

I think the rule simply exempts trombones and Sousaphones. Everything else brass and bell front is allowed.

If this is not true, it would be nice if someone with a current rule book would post the rule.

Garry in Vegas

I didn't mean tuning slide. I meant pitch slide as in a trombone. But yes, I wasn't clear enough.

Interestingly, in 1977, when I was instructing the Cavalier Cadets, a trombone bugle showed up at rehearsal that someone had developed. I'm not talking about a trombonium...this was a baritone bugle with a fully-moving pitch slide. We knew at the time it wasn't legal, but it was brought in as something that could be legalized. I do not remember who made it or how it found its way to the rehearsal.