Company Front Palooza

Cadets 87

really! have to look...

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Cadets 87

One of the coolest moments in drum corps.

Question: In SCV 2009, the scatter drill section leading into the company front, is that meant to pay homage to Cadets 87, or does the concept of scatter drill into a company front have something to do with Appalachian Spring that I don't know about?

Question: In SCV 2009, the scatter drill section leading into the company front, is that meant to pay homage to Cadets 87, or does the concept of scatter drill into a company front have something to do with Appalachian Spring that I don't know about?

When I saw it, I immediately thought of the dazzling scatter to company front in the 97 SCV show.

I don't get the automatic assumption that SCV's treatment of App Spring has anything to do with Cadets 87 since SCV was doing it long before that.

Company fronts = + 1.

When I saw it, I immediately thought of the dazzling scatter to company front in the 97 SCV show.

I don't get the automatic assumption that SCV's treatment of App Spring has anything to do with Cadets 87 since SCV was doing it long before that.

Why'd you change the emoticon in your sig? I figured you were always happy.

In years past, one company front at the end of a show garnered great applause because it was a nearly impossible feat. Now, I think there's an average of about 12 company fronts per show per corps. What used to be a potent spice is now table salt.

Company fronts are so ubiquitous now, and appear to be so easy to do, audiences barely respond.

Which shows have difficult drill set pieces this year? Are audiences recognizing them?

Wasn't it just last years when someone on DCP asked why no corps did company fronts anymore? Their reasoning was that corps nowadays lack the discipline to cleanly pull off such an obvious formation.

It's funny what you see here on this forum sometimes. :tongue:

One of the coolest moments in drum corps.

George Zingali had the 1987 Garfield Cadets scatter after hitting the company front, and then reassemble at the end of the Simple Gifts push. (It was a brilliant, inspired moment in drum corps history and evolution.)

SCV 2009 is scattering before the start of the push and company front. It's my opinion that the scatter is not inspired by 87 Garfield because 87 Garfield did traditional drill moving into the front. However, it can be argued that trying to make any company front appear "out of nowhere" and not be telegraphed ahead of time - was something that Zingali definitely excelled at ahead of most of the rest of the pack of his day.

So in one respect, I suppose you could give George Zingali credit for the fact that anyone tries so hard to achieve an awesome moment of a company front appearing suddenly and hitting the audience with that emotional thrill (which obviously SCV is doing this year).

Does anyone know when the first "scatter drill" happened in the middle of any show? The earliest one I can think of is before SCV's "Great Gate" closer in 1986. But I'm sure I'm not aware of an earlier one. (Just curious to see who was the first to throw that into the mix ... since it is now a constant staple of drum corps shows.)

Does anyone know when the first "scatter drill" happened in the middle of any show? The earliest one I can think of is before SCV's "Great Gate" closer in 1986. But I'm sure I'm not aware of an earlier one. (Just curious to see who was the first to throw that into the mix ... since it is now a constant staple of drum corps shows.)

Bridgemen before that. I think Puppet has mentioned one in a St. Rita's Brassmen show - and that would be before '72. I'll bet a corps did one before that.

Regards,

John

Most of them aren't really all that straight nowadays.

Amen to that. Honestly a horizontal line doesn't even impress me that much because it's easier to hide slight imperfections when it's parallel to the side line. I'm way more impressed by long straight lines parallel to the yard lines, which are a lot more exposed.

Edited by MagicBobert

really! have to look...

In reference to Cadets 1987...Just watched this on FN...I have a question about that soloist at the end....Was he really playing or doing a visual to make it look like he was playing? This is not meant to disrespect the musician whoever he is....

Edited by Liahona