Strangest Place You Ever Played A Standstill

Was thinking of putting this in Toms thread but don't want to take away from the people who actually marched in the wierd, crazy and just plain sucky places. This one is for the standstill concerts.

Westshoremen (ca 1977) - Played for the grand re-opening of a Lumber Yard. Early in the season so not everyone had new unis for some reason. Hot as Hades but there we were on asphalt wearing corps jackets (new people borrowed from past members). Had to play 3 or 4 times during the afternoon so it's play for 15.... hang around for 45.... play... hang.... Came home and don't remember laying down but when I woke up two hours later had a Helluva case of sunburn. For you PA folks, place is an Ollie's now. Yeah I know, but the check cleared... :tongue:

Westshoremen (ca 1981) - Corps had a fund raiser at a local Disco (no ####). I wasn't in at the time but bought two tickets and took a lady to the show. Get in and find out it's in a tiny back room with a small stage. :tongue: The lady wants to sit up front but knowing how loud a corps can be... :bigsmile: Jaminben performed that night and said the drummers were almost putting their sticks in the audiences ears. As we were leaving a lounge lizard saw a tymp player walk by and asked "What the #### kind of group is playing tonight?".

Hanover Lancers (ca 2005) - Played for opening ceremonies of PA YMCA Junior Olympics (think that's the title). Pretty cool except it was in an ice hockey arena made of concrete and we stood on the walkway halfway up the side to play. Whole corps is in a straight line, the DM is waaaay down there and the acoustics were non-existant. Wierd part was we played while the athletes came in and you could hear the echo effect diminish as more bodies came in to soak up the noise.

Edited by JimF-3rdBari

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I guess the strangest place I ever played was a runway at Newark Airport...The state department called Mr Murray and asked if The Caballeros would play for the Queen of England's Departure ceremony...It was 1976 so the security wasn't as tight as it is now but because it was a dignitary they searched all the horn cases and drum cases and such...And then they placed the corps on the next runway...And we went through our show for '76...She waved as if she could hear it...but with the distance and the jet engines I always wondered...LOL

But that was one of the strangest places I ever perfomed a show.. There were a few others but that one...

1980 Westshoremen, we did a concert for the hotel patrons in the swimming pool in Canton, Ohio. Ray Eyler (horn instructor) sat on an inflatible raft! The sopranos were in the deep end of the pool, which was funny because most of us were short! (Except tree!). One of the judges at the competition later that night remarked, "I hope you guys got the water out of your horns!". He made his comment on his judging tape, we did okay although I can't remember where we placed that night.

90's Capitol Brass Ensemble:

We played a Military Ball at the Albany Convention Center, on the Empire State Plaza.

There is huge fright elevator, in the middle of the floor. They raised us up from the lower service level.... playing "Seranade in Blue" (with soloist Jeff Young) as we came up through the floor, right in the middle of the party!

It was some effect! And the reaction from the crowd.. I'll never forget!

Edited by brassomaniac

Here's another one...........

90's - Capitol Brass Ensemble:

The Tour de Trump bicycle race, took a path thru the City of Albany, and CBE was the Official "Band" of the Albany Leg of the race.

A major sponsor was Brueeger's. They provided us with caps and t-shirts, which we performed in.

The odd part about it was the name that they used for us, in the News coverage of the event:

The Bruegger's Bagel Bakery Band!

Edited by brassomaniac

Yet ANOTHER.....

Late 80's, I think...

Capitol Brass Ensemble:

This one is still a tear jerker for those who were there....

Got a gig playing at a Saratoga Hotel, for a Surprise Birthday Party.

Played our current corps stuff, later. . but first, to kick things off...

The Birthday Girl enters the lobby to find friends and family... and a Drum Corps!

Not a dry eye in the house, as we played Happy Birthday... and everyone donned caps that said "ROSE IS 50!"

Back then surviving cancer was not as common, and Rose had been a survivor for some time.... her husband had arranged for the party to celebrate a birthday she wasn't expected to have!

Edited by brassomaniac

still ANOTHER.....

Capitol Brass Ensemble:

Big Saratoga company hires us for their corpoate banquet at an area hotel.

Marched and played around the perimeter of the banquet room, leading company employees dressed as Cheerleaders, to kick off the banquet.

OK, maybe that's our most unusual PARADE! :bigsmile:

Edited by brassomaniac

In front of a nursing home. I'm not really sure most of the people knew what was going on.

In front of a nursing home. I'm not really sure most of the people knew what was going on.

Yes! I've done a couple of those, where I thought some of the residents were being rolled out and forced to watch!!!

We did one inside, last year.. and one woman in a wheelchair apparently decided, right away, that it was TOO LOUD for her. Problem is, the escape route she chose was right across the front of the corps! Took her the entire first number to escape!

Edited by brassomaniac

Here are a few odd ones, with Capital Brass!

Strolling the picnic grounds at the Saratoga Race Track.

Lake George Band Festival: 11 community orchestras with 50-80 performers, playing legit stuff..... and little CB! (13 horns and a drummer) squeezed between them!

VA Hospital: squeezed into a tiny recreation room, to perform a Christmas Concert for shut-ins.

Charity Event at Crossgates Mall: playing inside for Holiday shoppers... including an introduction for Santa!

National Anthem at Albany Patroons basketball games

Edited by brassomaniac