West Chester Wrumble

Tekk, obviously the judge gave them the score that they felt they deserved. I was surprised by it because of what I saw from my seats from a technique standpoint. Not a performance one.

I'm just saying that when you are a first place colorguard (ANY first place CG) on a night with little wind nearly at the end of the season you absolutely should not have sails. It is inexcusable. Yet last night the 1st place CG had sails, and if they want to be a 1st place CG on finals night, they need to get that under control asap. It is the most basic of flag technique, and one that the 2nd and 3rd place CG's did not have issues with last night.

I'll repeat this again before anyone thinks I'm bashing HNC- I loved the show last night. :thumbup: I really enjoyed it and could have sat there & happily watched it twice. I commented on the CG stuff that I viewed because of how close the placements were, and if little details like that aren't addressed it could end up being a determining factor in placements this year in Indy. Just because the judge last night was ok with the sails, doesn't mean that the judge at finals is going to be.

On another note, I'm pretty sure there was an announcement about not doing the encore last night. I didn't hear it myself, but one of the people sitting near us said they heard about it.

• Replies 258
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Tekk, obviously the judge gave them the score that they felt they deserved. I was surprised by it because of what I saw from my seats from a technique standpoint. Not a performance one.

I'm just saying that when you are a first place colorguard (ANY first place CG) on a night with little wind nearly at the end of the season you absolutely should not have sails. It is inexcusable. Yet last night the 1st place CG had sails, and if they want to be a 1st place CG on finals night, they need to get that under control asap. It is the most basic of flag technique, and one that the 2nd and 3rd place CG's did not have issues with last night.

I'll repeat this again before anyone thinks I'm bashing HNC- I loved the show last night. :thumbup: I really enjoyed it and could have sat there & happily watched it twice. I commented on the CG stuff that I viewed because of how close the placements were, and if little details like that aren't addressed it could end up being a determining factor in placements this year in Indy. Just because the judge last night was ok with the sails, doesn't mean that the judge at finals is going to be.

On another note, I'm pretty sure there was an announcement about not doing the encore last night. I didn't hear it myself, but one of the people sitting near us said they heard about it.

Yeah but you make it seem as if there are no other first place guards in the past who did not have sails or any of those errors of which you speak. I can point out MANY guards I have seen this summer and previous summers who received first place at this point of the season who were not absolutely perfect. But in my opinion, the person who judged them and gave them the score they received obviously thought that they performed their show much better than the competition. Sure, we may not agree with it, and there have been a lot of things I have not agreed with lately, but hey, I'm not paid to be a judge. They are. So what can we do?

It just seems to me that you weren't able to find anything good with Cadets guard, yet you were able to point out EVERY great thing about Crown's guard, and I am sure they were not absolutely perfect last night. Just to be fair, I think what I saw of Crown's guard the past few shows I attended was VERY good, and they received what they deserved at those shows. But I'm sure they're not perfect 100% of the time, and that's okay.

Don't believe George was even there last night...

He was...they had the Crossmen Alumni Association Hall of Fame induction ceremony. Plus it was a Music in Motion event.

Yeah but you make it seem as if there are no other first place guards in the past who did not have sails or any of those errors of which you speak. I can point out MANY guards I have seen this summer and previous summers who received first place at this point of the season who were not absolutely perfect. But in my opinion, the person who judged them and gave them the score they received obviously thought that they performed their show much better than the competition. Sure, we may not agree with it, and there have been a lot of things I have not agreed with lately, but hey, I'm not paid to be a judge. They are. So what can we do?

It just seems to me that you weren't able to find anything good with Cadets guard, yet you were able to point out EVERY great thing about Crown's guard, and I am sure they were not absolutely perfect last night. Just to be fair, I think what I saw of Crown's guard the past few shows I attended was VERY good, and they received what they deserved at those shows. But I'm sure they're not perfect 100% of the time, and that's okay.

You seem to be very on edge lately, I realize you marched Cadets but you don't really have to defend every single post that gives criticism. I thought that the post in question was very explanatory in a good way on what was noticed. Not negative. Others ARE in fact entitled to opinions that you won't like. Trust me, I don't like many of them myself but it makes one seem a little bit like they have self esteem issues when they jump at every little thing to bring a defense.

Just my .02 and I of course don't know crap about Drum Corps, I just pay the bills so my kid can march

You seem to be very on edge lately, I realize you marched Cadets but you don't really have to defend every single post that gives criticism. I thought that the post in question was very explanatory in a good way on what was noticed. Not negative. Others ARE in fact entitled to opinions that you won't like. Trust me, I don't like many of them myself but it makes one seem a little bit like they have self esteem issues when they jump at every little thing to bring a defense.

Just my .02 and I of course don't know crap about Drum Corps, I just pay the bills so my kid can march

Actually I am not on edge. And I don't defend every single post that gives criticism. But you know what? When someone criticizes posts about you know who, there is ALWAYS someone on here who defends what they do. If you have a problem with me doing the same, then don't read my post. You may have thought the post was very good. But I didn't. Just like others are entitled to opinions I won't like, I AM ALSO ENTITLED to an opinion others won't like. They made their opinion known, and I am going to do the same. And trust me, my self-esteem is fine and has absolutely nothing to do with the responses I make on other people's comments.

Actually I am not on edge. And I don't defend every single post that gives criticism. But you know what? When someone criticizes posts about you know who, there is ALWAYS someone on here who defends what they do. If you have a problem with me doing the same, then don't read my post. You may have thought the post was very good. But I didn't. Just like others are entitled to opinions I won't like, I AM ALSO ENTITLED to an opinion others won't like. They made their opinion known, and I am going to do the same. And trust me, my self-esteem is fine and has absolutely nothing to do with the responses I make on other people's comments.

uh yeah.... that's obvious :thumbup:

I think that's because it was a HNC sponsored show. The people I was with weren't surprised by it.

My few visual/ colorguard related thoughts on the top 3 last night in no particular order.......

I was surprised that Cavies had dirty drill. I will admit that I hold them to a higher standard (than maybe I should) because typically by Allentown, they aren't dirty. They are usually squeaky clean. I saw hornline members not covering down. There was at least one ugly halt that happened with the hornline right in front of us that involved 3-4 members. Good thing most everyone was watching their guard and not those guys. Guard was solid as usual for the end of the season, which is probably why I was so surprised when I saw visual glitches.

I was also surprised that HNC won the colorguard ordinal. Their colorguard book did not appear as difficult as Crown's. Also, there was hardly any wind. There was no reason for all of those sails last night. Especially when Crown & Cavies didn't have them. Cut your planes correctly please!!! There is so much that I love about HNC's show this year, I'm glad I was able to see it in person. However, if you can't do basic things like keeping your flags from having sails repeatedly, you don't deserve a 1st place in guard.

Visually, from a CG standpoint, Crown's guard was amazing last night. CG people tend to see every little thing visually, especially the errors, and you watch decades of guard, the errors tend to pop out instantly. Watching Crown's guard last night was a rare treat- it was just a visual JOY to watch. Their book is great, they execute it well, and they don't have those "ooof look at that" or "whoops" errors. As they shouldn't going into the end of the season. Thank you for taking the time to script out all of the details- even their transitions were seamless. I was with other guard people (including former corps guard instructors) and at this point we are rarely blown away by performances. But last night we were speechless after watching that show, and we were very very happy. Thanks for bringing the sheer joy back to colorguard for us. :thumbup:

I dont think cutting their planes properly is the issue, its actually continually reversing the direction of the flag in the flat/frontback vertical plane. or "toaster", this action is very hard to manuever without getting a sail, there is very little room to get around the silk... we are talking inches here. other guards move the pole around the silk alot, and dont get sails as much. i think what the cadets do in this respect, is much much, harder. im sure the judges are taking that into account when crediting the show.

I dont think cutting their planes properly is the issue, its actually continually reversing the direction of the flag in the flat/frontback vertical plane. or "toaster", this action is very hard to manuever without getting a sail, there is very little room to get around the silk... we are talking inches here. other guards move the pole around the silk alot, and dont get sails as much. i think what the cadets do in this respect, is much much, harder. im sure the judges are taking that into account when crediting the show.

In agree. They also seem to have silks that are on the longish side this year, so that extra fabric may be occasionally causing an issue as well. Plus there's that whole big section they do at the end of Boy Like That that doesn't even have counts, or drum major conducting for part of it. I think they should get 10 pts. for that alone! :thumbup: