West Chester

Disclaimer- I did not have a chance to see all the shows as I was catching up with old friends.

Jersey Surf- WOW! Powerful hornline. The guard is understated, and not really in the center of anything. Visual is dirty, but they have some really nice ripples and visual choreography. Music is a nice, refreshing take on the most popular Mozart works. Now, they play two pieces from Die Zauberflote, but not the most classic aria of all time, Isis and Osiris. That would be a great ballad. That being said, you don't know what is going on from a design standpoint, which has troubled me for the past two years. What the hell is this show about? The Mozart Effect? Is it a disease? Should I get a check up? Before 08, you always knew what Surf was doing and it made them so accessible to the crowd; Moulin Rouge, Carmen, Down the Shore.

Crossmen- Better than what they have been. They seem very dirty visually. Music is cool. Idk, it just sits there. Maybe they should think about bringing more corps-trained people on their staff. And, fire Aaron Guidry, because the music design is really hurting their potential, even if it doesnt show on the sheets.

Baaasstin Crusaders- Wow, Idk. The guard is hot. I really couldnt pay attention to anything else. That'll raise your visual scores. :drool: Visual was dirty, and brass seemed a little bit... heavy. It picked up though a little while through. Oh, and either have a drop sash or don't. Just leaving a little thing having off the vest, down the pant is... ugly.

Carolina Weeds- I missed Crown, but saw a bit from the side. Is it me or does this show have a sinister concept?

Cavies- Bored. Bought a coke. Noticed their use of odd instruments which gave some unique timbres. Unfortunately, as always, the effect was ruined by the use of odd pit transitions and interludes which seem to go nowhere.

Cadets- Wow. Great, entertaining show. I watched this show from the lower seats so I could get my face peeled off. Awesome line. VERY LOUD. :thumbup: Guard was fantastic, with all their work. Visual looked very good to me, from where i was, i could see individual work very well. Pit was excellent, even as a brass guy i enjoy the cadets books so much, every year. I always like to watch cadets pit warm up in the lot. really enjoyed the closer.

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Disclaimer- I did not have a chance to see all the shows as I was catching up with old friends.

Jersey Surf- WOW! Powerful hornline. The guard is understated, and not really in the center of anything. Visual is dirty, but they have some really nice ripples and visual choreography. Music is a nice, refreshing take on the most popular Mozart works. Now, they play two pieces from Die Zauberflote, but not the most classic aria of all time, Isis and Osiris. That would be a great ballad. That being said, you don't know what is going on from a design standpoint, which has troubled me for the past two years. What the hell is this show about? The Mozart Effect? Is it a disease? Should I get a check up? Before 08, you always knew what Surf was doing and it made them so accessible to the crowd; Moulin Rouge, Carmen, Down the Shore.

Crossmen- Better than what they have been. They seem very dirty visually. Music is cool. Idk, it just sits there. Maybe they should think about bringing more corps-trained people on their staff. And, fire Aaron Guidry, because the music design is really hurting their potential, even if it doesnt show on the sheets.

Baaasstin Crusaders- Wow, Idk. The guard is hot. I really couldnt pay attention to anything else. That'll raise your visual scores. :drool: Visual was dirty, and brass seemed a little bit... heavy. It picked up though a little while through. Oh, and either have a drop sash or don't. Just leaving a little thing having off the vest, down the pant is... ugly.

Carolina Weeds- I missed Crown, but saw a bit from the side. Is it me or does this show have a sinister concept?

Cavies- Bored. Bought a coke. Noticed their use of odd instruments which gave some unique timbres. Unfortunately, as always, the effect was ruined by the use of odd pit transitions and interludes which seem to go nowhere.

Cadets- Wow. Great, entertaining show. I watched this show from the lower seats so I could get my face peeled off. Awesome line. VERY LOUD. :thumbup: Guard was fantastic, with all their work. Visual looked very good to me, from where i was, i could see individual work very well. Pit was excellent, even as a brass guy i enjoy the cadets books so much, every year. I always like to watch cadets pit warm up in the lot. really enjoyed the closer.

I don't see it, maybe you could enlighten me on your take of the show! I'm not trying to bring a rise (as some of my other questions have come off as being) I'm really interested to your thoughts of the show!

Carolina Weeds

:thumbup:

So when it's time for this corps to water down parts, do they get the hose or the Weed Whacker? :drool:

So when it's time for this corps to water down parts, do they get the hose or the Weed Whacker? :drool:

HAHAHA

That actually made me laugh out loud waking up my room mate!

THANKS A LOT! :mad:

Cadets- Wow. Great, entertaining show. I watched this show from the lower seats so I could get my face peeled off. Awesome line. VERY LOUD. :drool: Guard was fantastic, with all their work. Visual looked very good to me, from where i was, i could see individual work very well. Pit was excellent, even as a brass guy i enjoy the cadets books so much, every year. I always like to watch cadets pit warm up in the lot. really enjoyed the closer.

Wow, no wonder you thought Cadets should have won. It's the only show you pay attention to, heh. I'm not meaning to be rude, I'm just trying to point out that maybe you should try watching all the shows more carefully before stating a specific corps should have claimed the win.

However, you are right when you mention the "sinister concept". Their show is built on fantasy. If you actually watch the colorguard's main character, you'll notice him journeying from one side of the field to the other. Periodically, he chases after another main character, a girl he cannot quite get a hold of. Many obstacles get in his way, the brass, percussion, etc. They are supposed to be like fantasy creatures, that's why they keep climbing all over each other making funny shapes. The whole thing is kind of like a dream, until he wakes up at the very end to find himself exactly where he started.

The show is titled "The Grass is Always Greener," but it doesn't necissarily say "..on the other side." :thumbup:

I think it's very interesting, myself. I love this stuff. :mad:

this fireman named Tony comes with a big water hose.

Edited by DCIbrassplaya

The show is titled "The Grass is Always Greener," but it doesn't necissarily say "..on the other side." :thumbup:

I think it's very interesting, myself. I love this stuff. :drool:

Well, technically I have never seen Marijuana spoil, so I imagine that it is always greener.

I would like to comment on the contest as well . . . . . . .

I had a great night of drum corps and loved everything in the show. If this is the direction drum corps is heading count me in. There was not:

Rabid Goat/Rabbit looking creatures

lack of drill

bad drum corps

3 minute drum features

bad weather

unpleasant facility workers

Dr. Villella, George Hopkins and their staffs did a GREAT job with running this event.

All of the kids on the field Rocked and I appreciated all of the effort the staffs and support staffs go through when moving and rehearsing these groups.

I had a GREAT time and enjoyed the show.

Fantastic night!!!!

Well, technically I have never seen Marijuana spoil

Somehow i'm not really surprised at all....