Best of the Decade - The Cadets

Lol...the timing is odd. This is usually one of those april threads that comes out when everyone is bored as hell and waiting for the season to start

Pity these threads weren't set up as polls, it'd be really interesting to see how it all panned out.

I'd do it, but I don't know how to/don't have the time.

So far, with 31 responces, doing a simple averaging of the placements would come out as follows (number in parenthesis is the average of the placements assigned by the 31 respondents):

1 - 2000 (1.83871)

2 - 2005 (2.83871)

3 - 2009 (3.741935)

4 - 2001 (4.645161)

5 - 2003 (4.677419)

6 - 2007 (5.83871)

7 - 2002 (6.016129)

8 - 2004 (7.693548)

9 - 2006 (8.629032)

10 - 2008 (9.080645)

Q. How would you rank the Cadets shows in order this decade?

I have not seen 2009 yet, but...

1. 2000 - We Are The Future; possibly my favorite Cadets show ever. All season-long I was rooting for The Cavaliers, because I love Michael Daugherty's "Niagara Falls." Then I get the DVDs and, while the Cavies had a great show, no way no how should they have caught the Cadets.

2. 2001 - Juxtaperformance; while The Cadets are not my all-time favorite corps, I love how their design staff is ALWAYS willing to try something new. I think it's unquestionable that, year-in year-out, The Cadets take more risks at "pushing the envelope" of drum corps. The music in this show is completely dissimilar amongst itself, yet the cohesive whole is fabulous. Cadets should have repeated this year, not the Cavaliers, IMO.

3. 2006 - The Zone, Part 2: Through The Looking Glass; wait, what? Yes, I'm serious. I loved the design of this show. I think 2006 had a better show design/concept than 2005, the execution just wasn't there. The pitch-ascending repeated "Twilight Zone" motif in the finale was leagues more effective than the somewhat blah ending to 2005, too.

4. 2003 - Our Favorite Things; Fanfare & Allegro was good. Malaguena was fantastic, probably my favorite Malaguena ever. Rocky Point didn't work for me, though.

5. 2005 - The Zone: Dreamscape In Four Parts, With A Door; probably the best ballad of the decade (any corps), and the drumspeak was unbelievable tight. The execution level of this show is absurdly high. But, aside from the opening section (after the pounding music following "...The Zone!"), I found the first 3-4 minutes of this show really, really dull. There's hardly any melody in the first half, just a lot of harmonic and rhythmic development. Yes I'm serious. Everything before the ballad in this show is pretty musically uninspired.

Big, huge, yawning chasm of a gap between the Top 5 and Bottom 4...

6. 2002 - An American Revival; Boogie Woogie Bugle Boy was fantastic, the rest of the show sucked. The patriotic Americana just felt like it was being rammed down the audience's throat. It didn't work for me, and it was far less effective than in 1995.

7. 2007 - This, I Believe; This I Believe: The Cadets didn't deserve to beat the Blue Devils. Again, execution was phenomenal (the reason this show is 7th instead of 8th or 9th). It wasn't the fact there was narration that ruined it for me, it was that the narration completely destroyed the flow of the show every time it occurred. The corps would get on a roll with some unbelievable music and drill, and then the show would come to a screeching halt for some more sappy dialogue. Very, very poor job of integrating the narration with the rest of the show.

8. 2008 - ...and the Pursuit of Happiness; it's like they took everything that failed in 2007 and made it worse. I still don't understand why the couch people weren't the ones actually doing the narration. Does DCI really need mimes?

9. 2004 - Living With The Past; I've listened to this show several times. I've never found anything to like about it, I've never found anything to hate about it. An emotionless, apathetic response is even worse than a strongly negative one, IMO.

Edited by hostrauser
  • Like 1

My rankings (note, as always, these are just my opinion) -

1. 2000 - We are the Future - I give this one the nod over '05 because while the show didn't push the envelope *quite* as hard (but it did present some quite sophisticated music), I think the hornline and drumline were ... well... better. And that's still the greatest tenor solo ever, and the only time I've seen an entire upper deck of people crush down to the rail for an encore.

2. 2005 - The Zone: In Four Parts With A Door - this was classic Cadets - an innovative visual and musical program that made you rethink what could be done on the field. It had a fairly easy to follow theme (even without the Twilight Zone intro), and some iconic moments. I'd list it as 1a behind 2000.

3. 2009 - West Side Story: Celebration and Conflict - like other commenters, the drill on this sells the show, but the music still hasn't blown me away yet. (Wow, when did The Cadets become the Cavaliers?!?) Still a sophisticated, well-executed program, though.

4. 2003 - Our Favorite Things - I probably think more highly of this show than other folks, but I thought it was a really good show. Malaguena allowed them to really let loose, and Rocky Point was a nice modern twist on their classic closer. I didn't care for the opener - it just seemed to go on forever - but I think that's just personal choice.

5.2004 - Living with the Past - with all of the amp talk and baton twirlers that summer, what's kind of forgotten in here is that it was a pretty good show! Specifically, Bouree and Living in the Past really got the crowd going. It wasn't a revolutionary show, but it was a good show.

6. 2002 - An American Revival - BWBB. Yeah. As for "the pledge", the fire trucks and the rest, I'd ... rather not relive it.

7. 2001 - Juxtaperformance - This one truly was a juxtaposition - the show never really found a groove. It had some great arrangements - their Farandole is still one my favorite - but it didn't seem to "click." Of course, they ended up 3rd, so you can hardly complain.

8. 2007 - This, I Believe - This show came close to winning it all, even with the pushback against the use of voice. You have to admit, though - they march, play and spin *really* well. It was a very clean program, if not one that really dragged the audience into it.

9. 2008 - ...and the Pursuit of Happiness - For better or worse, this show at '08 Finals had the feel of a program that was just going through the motions. Controversy dogged the corps all summer, and even before the final performance the '09 show had been announced and the hype started. The final product actually ended up being two shows - the voice overs were built for the original show but the music and visual by the end had morphed into a different sort of program that didn't line up anymore.

10. 2006 - Part 2: Through The Looking Glass - Again, this is all my opinion, but this show was a mess from start to finish, and it began and ended with the design team. It's not hard to see where they were going with it, but I can't follow how they thought this show was going to appeal to a mass audience. It just shot far wide of the mark. (Special mention, though - "History Repeating" was *really* well done while it was in there, and I still have Jeff Beal's song from Pollock on my iPod.)

Mike

2000 - One of the greatest shows of all time, full of intensity, difficulty, audience-friendly feel good moments, an awesome drill, great guard, and a brassline that was on fire....Company fron in the closer ranks in my top three best moments wittnesed live...ever !

2001 - Again, a complex, rewarding show, a little too much dance in "moondance" but overall, awesome.

2009 - Drum corps past and present in a perfect marriage.

2004 - Colorguard was awesome, and pit was excellent.

2003 - Loved the guard colors, it really worked, another crowd pleasing show that was also competitive.

2005 - Just on pure execution alone.

2002, 2006, 2007, 2008......yuk

Geoffrey

I'd do it, but I don't know how to/don't have the time.

I set them up this way to give everyone a chance to list them in order and perhaps give their reasons why.

I know you can set up polls with multiple questions, but that would be one LOOOOONNNG poll listing all 10 shows ten times.

I set them up this way to give everyone a chance to list them in order and perhaps give their reasons why.

I know you can set up polls with multiple questions, but that would be one LOOOOONNNG poll listing all 10 shows ten times.

Update based on two more opinions (33 in total). Again, the number in parenthesis is the average placement.

1 - 2000 (1.787878788)

2 - 2005 (2.909090909)

3 - 2009 (3.696969697)

4 - 2001 (4.636363636)

5 - 2003 (4.666666667)

6 - 2007 (5.984848485)

7 - 2002 (6.090909091)

8 - 2004 (7.5)

9 - 2006 (8.666666667)

10 - 2008 (9.060606061)

1. 2000

2. 2001