1, 2, or 4 way Title race?

There are so many ways to look at this. Part of that is because of the two days of competition. So with that in mind, consider the following:

BD is clearly the favorite. They have won all the head-to-head matchup situations and that is the true test.

The last time Crown, HNC, and Cavaliers competed they were all 1 tenth apart. No reason to think that has changed. Cadets only beat Cavaliers by .2 on Friday, and you have to ignore Crown's score on Saturday because had they competed a day earlier and with BD, Cadets, and Cavies in the mix, their score would have been lower, say 94.35 or in the same range as Cadets and Cavaliers.

Now, if you're one of those that believe the judges sent a message by giving Crown a 95.250, well then consider this as well. SCV was not that far off, 1.45 (I think). The last time SCV met Cadets the Cadets won by over 2 points. So we learn nothing from comparing those spreads. And if you think Crown's 95.25 is at the top with BD, or close, then what you are saying is that SCV is only 1.4 off the lead. That would scare me if I was a Crown fan, because 1.4 can be made up in a week. It's not easy, but it can be done, and SCV will have the crowd going nuts at Indy.

What I think we have is this: BD clearly the favorite, then Crown and Cadets starting to make a move. I do agree that the Cavaliers may hold their ground, but will likely not move over anyone at this point. They have been unable to improve their spread margin with BD all summer, whereas Crown and Cadets are narrowly closing that margin.

So I think the top 3 will be BD, Cadets, Crown. In some order.

The question is whether SCV will pass Cavaliers to take 4th, or not.

Can Phantom catch the Bluecoats? Or can Boston catch Phantom? And what about Blue Stars?

Next week will be fun.

I agree with you completely.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree with you completely.

seconded

There are so many ways to look at this. Part of that is because of the two days of competition. So with that in mind, consider the following:

BD is clearly the favorite. They have won all the head-to-head matchup situations and that is the true test.

The last time Crown, HNC, and Cavaliers competed they were all 1 tenth apart. No reason to think that has changed. Cadets only beat Cavaliers by .2 on Friday, and you have to ignore Crown's score on Saturday because had they competed a day earlier and with BD, Cadets, and Cavies in the mix, their score would have been lower, say 94.35 or in the same range as Cadets and Cavaliers.

Now, if you're one of those that believe the judges sent a message by giving Crown a 95.250, well then consider this as well. SCV was not that far off, 1.45 (I think). The last time SCV met Cadets the Cadets won by over 2 points. So we learn nothing from comparing those spreads. And if you think Crown's 95.25 is at the top with BD, or close, then what you are saying is that SCV is only 1.4 off the lead. That would scare me if I was a Crown fan, because 1.4 can be made up in a week. It's not easy, but it can be done, and SCV will have the crowd going nuts at Indy.

What I think we have is this: BD clearly the favorite, then Crown and Cadets starting to make a move. I do agree that the Cavaliers may hold their ground, but will likely not move over anyone at this point. They have been unable to improve their spread margin with BD all summer, whereas Crown and Cadets are narrowly closing that margin.

So I think the top 3 will be BD, Cadets, Crown. In some order.

The question is whether SCV will pass Cavaliers to take 4th, or not.

Can Phantom catch the Bluecoats? Or can Boston catch Phantom? And what about Blue Stars?

Next week will be fun.

Great analysis

you have to ignore Crown's score on Saturday because had they competed a day earlier and with BD, Cadets, and Cavies in the mix, their score would have been lower, say 94.35 or in the same range as Cadets and Cavaliers.

Oh Really........... :shutup: Because if I read the DCI home page correctly it says: "While two different competitions were presented in Allentown this weekend, performances from all of the World Class corps were scored by the same panel of judges, giving fans the opportunity to make direct comparisons between the nights." :smile:

Now, WHY should we ignore Crown's score from Saturday night?

Oh Really........... :shutup: Because if I read the DCI home page correctly it says: "While two different competitions were presented in Allentown this weekend, performances from all of the World Class corps were scored by the same panel of judges, giving fans the opportunity to make direct comparisons between the nights." :smile:

This is what the scores mean:

Crown on Saturday was better than the Cadets and Cavaliers were on Friday.

There are 5 corps that could conceivably pull off a win. It was inevitable the 2 thru 5 corps would catch up somewhat to the Devils. BD’s streak comes from having an extremely clean show, not an exceedingly difficult show. As we approach the last few shows, the top corps are really cleaning things up. I spent 8 hours at Vanguards practice the last 2 days, and I can see why they are the fan favorites. This is a beautiful show with an awesome finish. Almost certainly the Cavies, Cadets, Crown, and Vanguard have far more exciting shows then the Devils. The Crown certainly has the brass and percussion to out execute the Blue Devils. It should be an awesome and close finish on Saturday.

in response to crown fan:

Because there's absolutely no way that a corps that plays with amazing tone quality and musicallity could actually relly be that close to BD!

[/sarcasm]

Seriously, though ... why is hardly anyone giving Vanguard a chance? Is it really so far off to think they could upset? Their score last night shows that they are right there with HNC and Cavies. If this is a 4 way race, it's between BD, Crown, HNC and SCV. Cavies really don't have the show to take the title. I really think they've reached a plateau that they won't pass.

Not that anyone cares about MY opinion, but here it is anyway.

BD is the emperor's new clothes. Why are people drinking the Kool-aid. The show is not that good people. The performer is! For Dang sure! SUPER CLEAN

Crown is the most entertaining package out there. If they could just march better, they'd easily take out Devs

Cadets- if the first 5 minutes of the show were as strong as the last 5, it would be the clear winner! Of course, I've learned you NEVER rule out the Cadets this close to the end.

Phantom and Cavies- Excellent shows with strong performers, but the 3 above them have upped the standards so they don't have a chance

SCV- I LOVE THIS SHOW, but i'm afraid its too 1990's for the judging community. Besides, the pit doesn't play very much at all. And with today's shows being pit driven due to the electronics and the dominance of that voice, I just don't see them contending.

Nobody else stands a chance of winning!

So here's my prediction, or at least how I think it SHOULD be:

1- Carolina

2- Devils

3- HNC

4- Cavies

5- Vanguard

6- Phantom

You don't have to ignore it, but we certainly don't need DCI's input to determine whether direct comparisons can be made. In the big scheme of things it is just a couple of nights, a set of scores, and a single set of judges. That gives us some indication of where everyone is at, but I would take them with a grain of salt. The only true comparisons can be had from a single show on a single night.

Judges are human and I am sure they do the best job they can to keep their perspectives clear from one night to the next, but in this subjective activity that is not easy to do at all.