Best of the Decade - Carolina Crown

You poor, poor man. :thumbup:

You beat me to it...

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bare with me, this is my first post, though I've been lurking for 4 years: A little background. I marched in the Cadets (Garfield Cadets) for one year, my age-out year. I was a sax player who taught himself how to play soprano just to march drum corps. I've been a loyal Cadet fan, but Crown has become my semi-favorite corps, mostly for the hornline sound/performance. I'm just going to comment on those shows I've actually seen in person:

1) 2008 Finis: Best sounding hornline I've ever heard. Impact points just like old school hornlines, but with a warm, fullness that (sigh!) surpasses the best I've ever heard: BD 79, 80 and a victory standstill in Concord that still has my ears bleeding from the late 80's/early 90's (don't remember exactly when), Bridgemen 80, Spirit 79 and 80. The impact points from both the opener and the closer are my favorite hornline memories of all time.

2) 2005 Angelus: Crown's hornline arrives, love the impacts and mellow runs in the opener and the chord progression at the end of the opener and the repeat of the same at the end of the show.

3) 2007 Triple Crown: Love the Cadetish quartet at the beginning followed by "the chord" Love the drum book, but didn't like the voice portions at the end.

4) 2009 The Grass is always Greener: Love the difficultly of the drill and the difficulty of the horn book, but didn't get the same level of sound as 2008, maybe time will tell, drum book was smoking.

5) 2006 Thought they were robbed with their finals horn score. Proved to me that they understood the concept of Impact Points in the first 1 minute of their show. Felt they were underscored all year.

1. 07 - triple crown. so lucky to be a part of this special year. i will never get tired of this show. wow.

2. 05 - angelus. can listen to this show over and over!! love the music here.

3. 06 - in.trance.it. love that hornline.

4. 04 - bohemia. will always remember watching this live, awesome show.

5. 09 - grass. have only seen it a few times, they are AMAZING, but i just don't feel any connection to this show? i need to see it live. but i will be a VERY proud alumni this weekend, no matter where they place.

6. 03 - bells. the first year i really got into crown. grrrrreat percussion

7. 08 - finis. ehhhh.. loved claire de lune, thought the rest was meh

all the rest - cool.

1. 2007 - Triple Crown (my favorite show from them, ever)

2. 2009 - The Grass Is Always Greener

3. 2003 - Bell-isimo (put them here because this is when they caught my attention and I became a fan)

4. 2008 - Finis (a very, very close 4th to me)

5. 2006 - In.Trance.It

6. 2005 - Angelus

7. 2004 - Bohemia

8. 2002 - Greek Mythology: Stories of Gods and Heroes

9. 2000 - The Mask of Zorro

10. 2001 - Industry

1-7 rankings were kind of hard for me because I really enjoyed those shows.

Edited by gbell211