2010 DCI Tickets: WHEEEEEEEE!

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I stopped going to finals every year since they started extorting people by making you "buy-up" for the best access. Anyone remember waiting all night in some hotel lobby to get finals tickets for the next year!?!?

Those were the days!!!

I stopped going to finals every year since they started extorting people by making you "buy-up" for the best access. Anyone remember waiting all night in some hotel lobby to get finals tickets for the next year!?!?

Those were the days!!!

I have never ever heard as to why they stopped doing it that way..Does anyone know or have and answer? Excellent question btw

I have never ever heard as to why they stopped doing it that way..Does anyone know or have and answer? Excellent question btw

Honestly I use to love getting up at 3:00 A.M. and walking over to wherever they were selling tickets. There was always people already ahead of me and I'd be like 20 - 40 place in line. It was awesome talking drum corps with other die-hards.

Those were the days!!!

Ya, for many, many years I was one of those who gave up sleep to get the best seats.  However, I don't know that I'd like going back to that process.  Just think of how upset you would be if you sat/stood in line for that amount of time only to find out you couldn't get tickets between the 30's.  At least now, the disappointment can take place within the comfort of your home.

The same reason any organization or store opted for online sales rather than those magical long hours spent waiting outside the building: If you put your high-demand item online you can charge more and sell more. Just the way consumers are these days. We'll pay more for "convenience".

People who couldn't make it to the previous year's World Championships complained they were discriminated against for the following year. Also, people who needed to watch children thought it was unfair.

It's probably not possible to come up with a system that everyone thinks is fair to all.

If it works for one person, they'll think it's fair and someone else won't. If it works for the other person but not them, they'll think it's unfair but that other person will think it's fair.

And for the person who mentioned it was extortion: If you look at the most in-demand section, you'll see it's filled. The Friends of DCI system gives those who wish to have the best seats the chance to get them for a premium...Just like the SuperBowl, the World Series, Broadway theater, etc.

If DCI wasn't maximizing the earning potential from those seats, can you imagine how many would be complaining that the organization was being irresponsible to its Member Corps by not making as much money for the organization as it could?

Ultimately, people will pay for what is important to them. And if premium seats either isn't critical to them, or if they need to put their money elsewhere, they'll appreciate what they've got.

I flew home from Allentown yesterday on an airplane that had a first class section. Man, I'd love to sit in that section and stretch out my legs, get a better quality quality snack and be one of the first ones off the airplane at the end. But will the airline let me sit there? NO! Not unless I pay for the privilege. How unfair is that? So, I decide that since I'm not going to pay extra, I'll sit back in coach and be grateful that I'm going to the same place as the people who paid for the first class section.

. . .just check eBay or here about a month before Finals for tix; plenty of people will be selling them for one reason or another.

You'll be fine and won't have to pay DCI anything extra to be part of the "super ultra mega drum corps superfriends" in the process. :lol:

And for the person who mentioned it was extortion: If you look at the most in-demand section, you'll see it's filled. The Friends of DCI system gives those who wish to have the best seats the chance to get them for a premium...Just like the SuperBowl, the World Series, Broadway theater, etc.

Of course, it brings up the other point, why not just charge the premium price for the ticket and make them available to everyone?