Best Uniforms

Here's my pic for favorite uniform with a slight color change on the pants :)

troop.jpg

Would love to see troop go back to the grey pants. I think it would help give them a taller look and make the uniforms not look so much like a jump suit.

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I selected the Blue Devils because their guard costumes ( why do some call these Corps guards " uniforms " anymore ? ) match their theme a lot better than most other Corps guard costumes do. I also factor in how the color of the costumes either blend or contrast well the other sections of the Corps.

I'll agree that the BD guard costumes are great for how they both compliment and, yet at the same time, stand out from the corps uniform. But I am still waiting for anyone to tell me how these costumes have ANYTHING to do with the 1930/Depression theme.

Here's some information about 1930's fashions - I don't see "bright yellow disco workout outfits" (or even a close cousin) noted in anything describing 1930's fashions (but then, I've also not discovered the connection between white folding chairs and 1930 either)...

Womenswear

The lighthearted, forward-looking attitude and fashions of the late 1920s lingered through most of 1930, but by the end of that year the effects of the Great Depression began to affect the public, and a more conservative approach to fashion displaced that of the 1920s. For women, skirts became longer and the waist-line was returned up to its normal position in an attempt to bring back the traditional "womanly" look. Other aspects of fashion from the 1920s took longer to phase out. Cloche hats remained popular until about 1933 while short hair remained popular for many women until late in the 1930s. The cloche hat is a fitted, bell-shaped hat that was popular during the 1920s.[1] (Cloche is the French word for bell).

The war years - Most women wore skirts at or near knee-length, with simply-cut blouses or shirts and square-shouldered jackets. Popular magazines and pattern companies advised women on how to remake men's suits into smart outfits, since the men were in uniform and the cloth would otherwise sit unused. Eisenhower jackets became popular in this period. Influenced by the military, these jackets were bloused at the chest and fitted at the waist with a belt.

Menswear

For men, the most noticeable effect of the general sobering associated with the Great Depression was that the range of colors became more subdued. The bright colors popular in the 1920s fell out of fashion.

The war years - Austerity also affected men's civilian clothes during the war years. The British "Utility Suit" and American "Victory Suit" were both made of wool-synthetic blend yarns, without pleats, cuffs (turn-ups), sleeve buttons or patch pockets; jackets were shorter, trousers were narrower, and double-breasted suits were made without vests (waistcoats).

I will always think the Troopers have the best uniform as long as they don't change their design.

But the question was not what unifirm do you love, but what uniform do you think works best with this year's show concept. I see NO relationship between BD's corps or guard uniforms/outfits and the 1930 theme.

Just some thoughts:

Yellow was a popular color for women's fashion in the thirties, reminiscent of Daisy's character in "The Great Gatsby."

One side of the guard uniform reminds me of the Navy Waves during WWII and the sailor suit.

The other side of the guard uniform reminds me of Rosie the Riveter and women wearing trousers.

That's what I see in BD's guard uniform and the show, but I know we could argue perception is reality....

Best uniforms and theme for me are:

Crown and Troopers

Favorite uniform in term of close-up view...

Troopers

Madison Scouts (although please lose the red sash)

Bluecoats

The Cadets (respect them tremendously for keeping up with the tradition)

Boston Crusaders

Favorite uniform in term of effectiveness on the field

Blue Devils (comparing to their uniform before 08)

Crossmen (however, they should lose the cape for the later part of the show)

SCV (it is boring but effective)

The Cavaliers (as always)

Spirit

Just some thoughts:

Yellow was a popular color for women's fashion in the thirties, reminiscent of Daisy's character in "The Great Gatsby."

One side of the guard uniform reminds me of the Navy Waves during WWII and the sailor suit.

The other side of the guard uniform reminds me of Rosie the Riveter and women wearing trousers.

That's what I see in BD's guard uniform and the show, but I know we could argue perception is reality....

Best uniforms and theme for me are:

Crown and Troopers

Thank you - finally someone gave some explanation rather than just an "I love it" response. I can now look more carefully next time to see if this helps me make a connection.

I'm digging Vanguard's echo of their late 90's uniforms (though I hate their DM uniforms)

I completely agree. I hate the dm uniforms this year; i liked the all black MUCH better.

I actually have a question that kinda goes along with this topic; is anyone else NOT a fan of white pants/shoes? For some reason, I've never liked the look of the white pants/shoes. I think part of it is because as the season goes on, the shoes get dirtier and I guess I just don't like the look. Anyone else feel this way?

I completely agree. I hate the dm uniforms this year; i liked the all black MUCH better.

I actually have a question that kinda goes along with this topic; is anyone else NOT a fan of white pants/shoes? For some reason, I've never liked the look of the white pants/shoes. I think part of it is because as the season goes on, the shoes get dirtier and I guess I just don't like the look. Anyone else feel this way?

In my opinion, white paints and shoes highlight the visual mistakes enormously, so big prop to Phantom and Blue Stars for stepping up the challenges. In the case of Phantom, I feel the dark color of guard uniform and the white uniform of the players exacerbates their visual problem so far this season.

I know that many high school marching band has two pairs of paints; whites for home show and dark/black for competition