Best of the Decade- Madison

2005- Carmen. The last time the Scouts were "the Scouts" this decade.

2003- Very strong comeback after 2002.

2001- Great updates on their traditional charts. I still get chills remembering the cymbal toss.

2004- A little soft at times but still a nice show

2000- "Russian" may have been out in left field as a concept, but you can't argue with that hornline.

2007: Intro had my toes tapping. Too bad they couldn't do more with this concept

2002: Scouts + Mexico = BAD combination. Montezuma's revenge strikes home.

2008: What's that quote about an iguana being a metaphor for something...

2009: See 2002

2006: Blah

Sorry no objectivity, my son marched 07 & 08.

1.2007 Unbound

2.2008 La Noche de la Iguana

3.2005 The Carmen Project

4.2004 MadiSonic

5. 2001 Hot Jazz - Madison Style

6. 2000 The Cossack Brotherhood

7. 2003 GOLD, GREEN AND RED: The Music of Benoit Jutras

8.2009 El Relámpago

9. 2002 Conquest

10.2006 Primal Forces

Can't say I've enjoyed the Scouts all that much this decade...

1. 2005 - The Carmen Project (Awesome, Awesome, Awesome)

2. 2003 - Gold, Green and Red (Great music, interesting to see Madison trying it)

3. 2006 - Primal Forces (I may be in the minority)

4. 2007 - Unbound (Actually kind of liked the show, but man was that guard bad...)

5. 2004 - MadiSonic

6. 2000 - The Cossack Brotherhood (Mostly for the drum break)

7. 2002 - Conquest

8. 2001 - Hot Jazz - Madison Style

9. 2008 - La Noche de la Iguana (wow...)

10. 2009 - El Relámpago (double wow...)

1. 2005

2. 2001

3. 2004

4. 2000

5. 2007 ("liked" this show better than #4 but can't dismiss the talent in 2000)

6. 2003

7. 2008

8. 2009

9. 2002

Am I the only one that liked last year's show a lot? Truth be told I really enjoy this year's show, too.

2005- Carmen. The last time the Scouts were "the Scouts" this decade.

2003- Very strong comeback after 2002.

2001- Great updates on their traditional charts. I still get chills remembering the cymbal toss.

2004- A little soft at times but still a nice show

2000- "Russian" may have been out in left field as a concept, but you can't argue with that hornline.

2007: Intro had my toes tapping. Too bad they couldn't do more with this concept

2002: Scouts + Mexico = BAD combination. Montezuma's revenge strikes home.

2008: What's that quote about an iguana being a metaphor for something...

2009: See 2002

2006: Blah

I disagree with "Scouts + Mexico = BAD combination." You obviously forgot their 1995 Spanish show.....BEST MADISON SHOW EVER!

As far as this decade, the only show I liked was the Carmen one. The rest were meh.

For me

1. 2003 - Gold, Green and Red - Madison's "rebirth" if you will. I thought this was the perfect "modern" Scouts show - it was still jazzy, but in a new, sophisticated direction. Cirque's music was a natural fit, and I'm still sad that they didn't explore more of it in subsequent years. Their opener (Incantation / Reve Rouge, I think it was) is still the best CdS arrangement I've ever heard on the field.

2. 2008 - La Noche de la Iguana - I got to see this one live at Finals, and I have to say, it was a *very* nice program. I loved the modern latin classical music; I thought it fit well with the Scouts drive for a more sophisticated show, and the body movement really added a new dimension to the group that I think will enhance their appeal down the road to the fans. Especially lady fans. :rolleyes:

3. 2001 - Hot Jazz - Madison Style - I really enjoyed this show - it felt like Madison was responding to their 2000 program with an "everything and the kitchen sink" sort of vehicle. In a lot of ways the straight-ahead jazz was a throwback to the early 80's, and though it (especially the guard) was pretty dirty, I thought it was a lot of fun to watch too. Special props to the timpani / quint solo, if I'm thinking of the right year.

4. 2005 - The Carmen Project - I thought this show was allright, but honestly, it didn't grab me like it did most other folks. I thought they were incredibly clean, and what they did, they did really well - I was just "meh" on what they did.

5. 2002 - Conquest - I have to admit, I kind of like this show. It is incredibly dirty, but like 2001, it just oozes attitude. Watching it, though, it did feel a little bit like the corps show design had lost its way - it felt like the show was written as a challenge to the judges, and not in a good way.

6. 2009 - El Relámpago - I'm still not sure about this show yet - it'll need extra viewings. It's dirty, but not dirtier than the corps around them. It's exciting music, and they bring the energy. It just seems to be missing... something. I don't know.

7. 2006 - Primal Forces - To me, this is the prototype show for what they ended up doing in 2008 / 2009. Unfortunately, I think that playing straight-ahead classical was a bad idea. And the drill was waaaaay overwritten. The white uniforms were great, though - I wish they'd kept those in 2007.

8. 2007 - Unbound - bad uniforms. Bad, bad uniforms. I thought Uninvited and Kashmir were great, but really, the show just died for me after that. Did I mention the bad uniforms? Yeah, they were bad.

9. 2004 - MadiSonic - I thought it was a good idea in theory - a modern version of their 1998 program. In practice, though, it just never really clicked for me. The music sounded very sterile, and it didn't grab you like you'd expect.

10. 2000 - The Cossack Brotherhood - This was just a mess from start to finish. The music design was (to me) awful - it didn't have any punch at all to it, and the visual program seemed tacked on. The less said about this show the better.

So, there's mine.

Mike

First of all.... Mike - the Timp/Quint solo was 2002 and was awesome! But both

2001 and 2002 were great Drumlines. Anyway, here's mine....

1) 2001 - Pure, unadulterated Madison!

2) 2003 - Powerful and cohesive show with solid visual

3) 2005 - Great concept, awesome visual show, great hornline.

4) 2000 - Another pure Madison show - a little top heavy in horns for Russian music

5) 2004 - Too subdued of an opener - great closer!

6) 2007 - One of the best intros/field entrances ever - great closer.

7) 2208 - Another powerful opener and solid visual program

8) 2006 - Very nice show all around, one of my favorite ballads!

9) 2009 - Only saw it twice. Needs to grow on me, but decent show

10) 2002 - Excellant Drumline, much improved guard from early season.

Edited by madalumni