judging bias

i'm just curious being a realtive newcomer. do the judges at finals have corp affiliations past or present and do you think that affects the scoring????

Oh boy. This will be interesting.

My answers to your two questions, in the order they were asked:

1. many do

2. sometimes, but not enough to bother me because the judging panels rotate all year long and I think it all works itself out in the end

I guess you haven't been here long enough to understand that there is a secret judging conspiracy that select individuals on this board have uncovered after years of intense investigation and their favorite corps not winning.

In all seriousness :thumbup:

Bias is inherent in almost every decision one makes, including judging drum corps contests . . . and, of course, is present in at least some regard if the judge has some sort of connection to a particular corps as a former member, caption head or tech.

. . .but I dare say that the judges have gotten it right most every year I can think of, so there's your answer.

Yes many judges do have past corps affiliation.

No, I don't think it makes a difference in the end, I feel also that they usually get it right. Except for in '93 of course. :thumbup:

I would think that most judges would want their former corps to earn their score as much as want to give them a break. Similar to working for a family member, you often find the expectations you have of "your own" are higher than of others (but, I guess, you can be somewhat more likely to look the other way at times).

I think there is much more influence resulting from judges preference for certain techniques, styles, etc. And, of course, judges personal opinions of the staffs of the various corps have, at least, some subconscious impact even if it is only the difference of half a tenth.

But then, judges' preference of certain styles, etc. can result in some behefit to her/his former corps since it is probable that their former corps plays/marches that style, etc.

This is a bit off-topic, but my husband asked me a question at the Buffalo show, and I don't know the answer. When a judge judges a corps for the first time, how much information about that program does s/he have? Are judges required to have prior knowledge of what a corps will be performing, and the components of the program? Or do they just figure it out as they go that first time, then discuss the details with corps staff at critique?

I'll bite.

A certain Finals judge is allegedly unimpressed with my favorite color guard allegedly.

I'm not a DCI judge, but I am a judge, and I prefer GOOD over BAD. So I think that's the only bias you'll find out there. I know many of the DCI judges and I know they take their roles very seriously, and I don't think there's any logical reason why a judge would "care" about having a bias...it's just not important. It's JUST drum corps.

Wait.

Was that my outside voice?