The Oil Can Is Ready To Go!

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Boy, it sure is nice in sunny california. BTW, it would be great to get a chance for worlds in Texas as well, or the East Coast. Too bad DCI choose Indy for the foreseeable future. :laughing:

Best of luck to the corps, and let's hope the weather holds. Now I feel like a farmer. Spend a year on a crop, and then pray that the weather cooperates.

I wonder if some corps will start getting creative and finding a way to use that as some kind of visual backdrop.

Also, anybody notice that the side window appeared to be open?

I'm pretty sure the sliding window is on the other side. Which would be over our left shoulder looking at the photo.

Pic from Cavaliers.....

7fg.jpg

Have they tested it for sound?

I think this is a VALID question...anyone in the know? All I heard on the field pass is they wanted to make the environment into a stage...hmmmm...hopefully someone knows what they are doing....

Yes. BOA Grand Nationals, ISSMA State Championships, and the BOA "TEST"

Open or closed by show time? Anyone know what the plan is for sure?

Open or closed by show time? Anyone know what the plan is for sure?

Right now the chance of rain in Indy is 0% all day. Last week one of the DCI board members told me the roof would be open if there was zero chance of rain. So will the roof and windows be open?

...though Saturday's forecast is for hot temps (90+) and scattered thunderstorms day and night (30% chance of precip). Since there's no field drainage system they can't handle much more than a misting of rain, so if I had to bet, I'd wager that this will be an indoor event come Saturday night.

What's sort of interesting to me is that a drainage system would have only added $500k to the build price of the facility, a relative drop in the bucket on a major construction project. But then I found this article that makes it pretty clear that the city of Indy was seeing this as an indoor facility that had the option to open up, but only if the weather was perfect. I can't say as I fault their logic (after all, the Colts had been playing inside for 20 years already, and for trade shows and monster truck competitions, who needs fresh air?), but it's not exactly how DCI was pitching the venue to the fan base. I still don't fault them for making the move to Indy, given the nature of Indy's offer, but it's a little disappointing to those of us who'd pictured the nature of the venue a differently than the reality.

Edited by mobrien

There were photos posted here on DCP inside Lucas Oil last fall after BOA of a backfield curtain (two are shown here, one layered behind and covering the upper deck), and there was also another curtain covering most of the end zone seats where this photographer is standing. So only one end zone seating area can see the field. It makes sense to me that these curtains would, to an extent, help control reverberations, but it still likely won't sound the same as an open football stadium because of all the supporting roof structure-- even if the roof is opened.

I've never been there, but my recollection is that the windows at the top of both end zone seating areas can slide open, including the ones shown in this photo. Again, there's not enough open area exposed by these windows, in my opinion, to make the sound significantly better.

Today's weather forecast is definitely the best of the next three-- a nearly perfect summer day in Indy with no chance of rain. If they don't leave the windows and roof open today, they likely won't do it at all.

Edited by Peel Paint