The On-Field Warm-up

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

amps turned to 11

That too. :laughing:

Yeah I never mind on field warm-ups if everyone is playing something together. I have never really liked when people just turn backfield and everyone just plays whatever they want to (I think Spirit and BD are doing that this year). I remember in '03 (I think it was '03) Cavies played Variation on a Korean Folksong backfield and I always loved it.

I think it was '03. I'm sad that I can barely remember.

And in '02 they played All Things Bright and Beautiful.

I enjoyed playing our corps song GIANT in 90-91...not sure why the on-field warm-up is gone with the wind...

No warmups..... OMG, DCI is going BACKWARDS friends as the corps did not warmup BITD, they just started cold at the beginning. IIRC the warmup started 1975 or a little before. Know it was used 1975 as PBS screwed up and had a close up of Troopers warming up (1st corps on the field at Finals).

DCA followed few years later but can't even remember when....

LOL, joking around with youse.....

Real question is "What the Hades is breath-duh? Keep seeing it but must be a Jr thang or new term for something that has been done before.

Edited by JimF-3rdBari

I would glady give up on field warm ups if DCI would bring back retreats for at least the weekend shows or major regionals. Just my 2 cents.

I used to like on-field warmups, but honestly, I prefer moving ones now. As a fan, I'm always in favor of extra show time. And I hope this finally occurs to a designer at some point - the moving warmup is *exactly* the same as the old-school "after the GE gun" section - how about using that time to blast the audience out of their seats and then move on to the show? Might just get the crowd pumped with no judging risk. (See Boston, 2008, for a good example.)

Mike

Real question is "What the Hades is breath-duh? Keep seeing it but must be a Jr thang or new term for something that has been done before.

Breathe-dah is the name for Crown's brass approach. I'm pretty sure the name refers to the act of taking a full breath and articulating at the beginning of the air-stream. The name (and moreso the overly-enthusiastic supporters of Crown's technique) tend to bug people because said technique is a basic part of any fundamental program.