Historical Druming style

Wow, these stories are great. When I was drumming, it was the transitional 70's. At First, we were taught by Mitch Markovich who came from Cavies to Royalairs to N. Ambassadors (Argonne Reb. too) and big, high sticking was the deal--if the second beat of your diddle wasn't as high as the first one you were a weenis. And both beats better touch your forehead. A guy could get hurt. Then I head over to the DP Vanguard and they "unlearn" me that style and say no, you got to be cool and learn musicianship. (Most I ever learned about drumming in a season) So the sticks come down and we got syncopation and music that actually compliments the horns. Then I'm in LaCrosse (just because) with Stars in my eyes because these guys just took 2nd in drums behind SCV in'73 and now my sticks are up in the air again! But somehow this was not a good year for BS drums and sadness was all I remember. So I give it one more try and head to Racine and the Kilties for the '75 season. Turns out they hire these two ex-Trooper guys named Kearby and Sanford to write the drum show and to instruct and a third guy from the Pittsburg Symphony named Kumer, another genius. They come in with the low angle approach and Moeller-esque flams and accents and stress musicianship and again my arms are back at my side and I'm whip lashing the heck outta' my tub. Finally, the technique I was looking for. Don't know how I got out of that without breaking something.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Cookie,

Two other names that should be added to your list of excellent drummers that played "after your time" would be Bob Hoffheins and Jimmy Dinkins, who went on to teach several dci drumlines and judge dci. Thanks for including me in that illustrious list of USAF drummers but, for accuracy, I gotta mention that I went into the USAF Pipe Band, the segment of the "corps" that was kept when the drum corps was disbanded.

I did, however, have the great privilege to learn from and play with John Bosworth for those years. John was pretty much responsible for revolutionizing pipe band drumming by combining American, Swiss and Gaelic rudimental traditions into a new, unique USAF Pipe Band style. Also playing in the Pipe Band drumline were Ben Curtis who's nephew was this year's center snare for Cavies, and Bill Semanek, a soprano from Blessed Sac. You can check out some of their work (1968) at the USAF Alumni website: http://usafdrumcorps.us/ </a> along with a lot of other audio and video recordings.

SKY

edited to delete bad link

Ben Curtis is a super guy who has been playing with us in the Cabar Feidh Pipe Band (San Fernando Valley area of Los Angeles, CA) this year. I believe he runs the alumni website for the USAF drum corps and pipe pand that you reference above. Ben has reinvigorated us by introducing some historic rudimental elements to our repertoire.

Our drum sergeant for the past 20 years or so is John Davis, lead soprano with the Muchachos in their heyday and also a former member of Blessed Sacrament Golden Knights and St. Rose of Lima drum and bugle corps of Newark, NJ. I've had the pleasure of marching with John in Cabar Feidh since 1994.

You marched in Freelancers in 1983? That was a great show! Yes, I totally remember the "hum", and thanks for giving me a way to describe the tap roll style. Tap-space-double. I loved the tenor sound Regiment got in the early 80s - the tenor accents were nicely layered in with the other parts - very loud. Good stuff!

Thanks for the compliment on our '83 show! We had a great hornline that year and an ok drumlime. I personally thought our 1982 show was much more exciting and fun to play, and we marched better that year. We saw 27 a lot on tour in '83. Remember the Clearwater, FL show when it poured in the middle of the show? The last week of tour was a hot and wet mess in Florida. We went on last at prelims (just after midnight and right after BD - worst possible slot). Your drumline was the strength of 27 in both '83 and '84.

I totally agree with you re Phantom's tenor lines from 1978 through 1982 (and pretty darned good in 1983, although they switched from the Power Toms to the Power Cuts that year). They were freakin' solid and loud, and the writing was phenomally effective. If you listed to the CDs, you can hear virtually every note those guys play througout the show, each year, even when they are playing soft with puffy mallets. The dynamic range of those PR lines was fantastic. Especially in 1981. Those tenor dudes were all giants as well (but so was our line in 1982 -six guys all over 6'). Marty Hurley's writing was perfect for Phantom's horn book.

I miss big drumlines that carried all of their equipment. Nothing like having 34 angry drummers marching up toward an uncluttered sideline, spitting fire at the crowd!

Thanks for the compliment on our '83 show! We had a great hornline that year and an ok drumlime. I personally thought our 1982 show was much more exciting and fun to play, and we marched better that year. We saw 27 a lot on tour in '83. Remember the Clearwater, FL show when it poured in the middle of the show? The last week of tour was a hot and wet mess in Florida. We went on last at prelims (just after midnight and right after BD - worst possible slot). Your drumline was the strength of 27 in both '83 and '84.

I totally agree with you re Phantom's tenor lines from 1978 through 1982 (and pretty darned good in 1983, although they switched from the Power Toms to the Power Cuts that year). They were freakin' solid and loud, and the writing was phenomally effective. If you listed to the CDs, you can hear virtually every note those guys play througout the show, each year, even when they are playing soft with puffy mallets. The dynamic range of those PR lines was fantastic. Especially in 1981. Those tenor dudes were all giants as well (but so was our line in 1982 -six guys all over 6'). Marty Hurley's writing was perfect for Phantom's horn book.

I miss big drumlines that carried all of their equipment. Nothing like having 34 angry drummers marching up toward an uncluttered sideline, spitting fire at the crowd!

Yeah, the Florida tour was a trip. I got permanent athlete's foot from those venomous, much-hated gymnasia. I do remember serious heat and serious rain, and I doubt that has changed much even to today.

Here's the 83 snares in Miami. I'm on the lower left. :-)

174364455_3c36c18e3c.jpg

Do you remember the double tenor lines SCV had, was it in 80 or 81? That was cool, to hear the higher and lower pitches. The articulation was definitely different, back then - things were not tuned as high and you really could hear the drums.

Speaking of when everyone carried, we had marching tympani in 83. I loooved watching those guys crank their drums. That was awesome!

Yeah, the Florida tour was a trip. I got permanent athlete's foot from those venomous, much-hated gymnasia. I do remember serious heat and serious rain, and I doubt that has changed much even to today.

Here's the 83 snares in Miami. I'm on the lower left. :-)

174364455_3c36c18e3c.jpg

Do you remember the double tenor lines SCV had, was it in 80 or 81? That was cool, to hear the higher and lower pitches. The articulation was definitely different, back then - things were not tuned as high and you really could hear the drums.

Speaking of when everyone carried, we had marching tympani in 83. I loooved watching those guys crank their drums. That was awesome!

SCV had double tenors in 1980, when they carried the melody for 'Stone Ground Seven,' one of the best solos ever. Cavies did it two years later.

Good stuff drumno5. He looks great! Is that a recent picture?

Bobby%20Thompson.jpg

Mr. T. passed away some time ago, maybe as far back as the late 80's. anybody got any info out there?

Speaking in that same lineage, Ken Mazur (1976 DCI Individual snare champion) is a descendant of the Thompson school, by way of Marty/Phantom. Never at a loss for words, he's got a lot to say about rudimental druming history, style and philosophy. Here are some links to a few of his articles on the subject:

http://www.geocities.com/marchingresearch/mazsym97.txt

http://www.cadre-online.ca/images/binder1.pdf

Sometimes controversial (outspoken and opinionated wouldn't be out of place in describing Mr. Mazur's take on drumming - or probably just about any subject - lol!). But the research is exhaustive, and his considerable chops certainly lend credibility (or at least a bit of authenticity) to his point of view. Definitely worth a look-see.

regards,

Fred O.

Wow, these stories are great. When I was drumming, it was the transitional 70's. At First, we were taught by Mitch Markovich who came from Cavies to Royalairs to N. Ambassadors (Argonne Reb. too) and big, high sticking was the deal--if the second beat of your diddle wasn't as high as the first one you were a weenis. And both beats better touch your forehead. A guy could get hurt.

mm1.jpg

Ben Curtis is a super guy who has been playing with us in the Cabar Feidh Pipe Band (San Fernando Valley area of Los Angeles, CA) this year. I believe he runs the alumni website for the USAF drum corps and pipe pand that you reference above. Ben has reinvigorated us by introducing some historic rudimental elements to our repertoire.

Our drum sergeant for the past 20 years or so is John Davis, lead soprano with the Muchachos in their heyday and also a former member of Blessed Sacrament Golden Knights and St. Rose of Lima drum and bugle corps of Newark, NJ. I've had the pleasure of marching with John in Cabar Feidh since 1994.

You're absolutely right about that! Say "Hi" to Ben and John for me.

Steve

• 4 weeks later...
mm1.jpg

Geez uncle z where'd you find this? Dude looks like he's 12!! This was after '66 but it lists the old Damen address in Chicago for Ludwig. I thought Ludwig had moved to IN by then. Guess not. This is priceless. I love his flam attitude.