Terrible Sound in Lucas

Wasn't at the venue, but in the theater. My thought was that the sound was ok, but bass and pit heavy most of the time. The pits have been too loud on video and recordings since they were plugged in, so I don't think that is a venue thing, and part of the bass issues can be attributed to seeing it in a movie theater.

Now, some general thoughts regarding the dome...

As already mentioned, It was said that, for competitive fairness, the roof has to be either open or closed for all corps. Given the drainage issue, my guess is that until 2018 we have an indoor championship. This does go against the hype issued when this deal was done, that hype being that it was an "open-air venue with a roof that could be closed in bad weather". I found it somewhat interesting the amount of spin that the crew was attempting regarding the dome. John Madden especially could not compliment the acoustics enough, and it was he, not Delucia, that repeatedly talked about designing shows for indoor performance. They also pointed out that all regionals are in domes now, so the corps are "used to it". Delucia mentioned that a lot of the percussion staffs (staves? :) ) are used to working indoor for WGI.

My main concern, however, was not the dome itself, but what was IN the dome, specifically fans, or a lack thereof. Maybe you just can't really see them, but in every shot of the stands it looked like the crowd was sparse at best. I realize that the actual show is competing with "470 theaters nationwide" but still... crowd looked a lot larger at QFs in both 07 and 08. That coupled with Rondinaro's impassioned plea for anyone sitting in the theater to hustle down to Indy and see semis and finals live ("There's plenty of good seats left!") gave me concern for the future of the deal. This being only the second year of 10, attendance woes (whether due to location, economy, or whatever) could be a far more significant issue long term than whether or not the roof is open.

the drum guys are familiar with being side, but the venue size is drastically different from Dayton to Indy, and then those horn things too :smile:

• Replies 281
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Interesting from Hop's Twitter:

yeaguy

The Kids said that they cannot hear the crowd because of the stadium acoustics. I am asking for all cadets fans to spin white towels today

Hahaha

It doesn't surprise me that Cadets could not hear the crowd, not because they didn't like Cadets, but because it didn't look in the theater that there were more than a few thousand people there, and because of all the reverb in Lucas Oil.

This won't be a problem Saturday night, I'm quite sure. Even with the reverb, HNC will hear the much larger crowd.

W.

T.

F.

. . .the crowd is what you feed off of as a performer (especially this show). This makes me a very sad panda. :smile:

Yes, they especially have been enjoying that experience so much this year. I hope the situation improves with more people in the seats on Friday and Saturday.

Just another person adding to the chorus...

My group watched some of the shows in both 341 and 541. The sound was just terrible. Booming echoes, little clarity, the space consumed almost all the high volume impacts and the AC hum was constant. Considering the price of tickets even on the 20 yard lines, this is an embarrassment for DCI. Tonight we'll be sitting 443 at $80 per ticket, which will likely be even worse.

I've been to finals every year since 1999, and next year will be a tough choice. I can't imagine that opening the roof would make much difference. On the plus side, the folks in Allentown shouldn't have any trouble selling tickets.

...and the fact that DCI put the big drop in the background indicates that they weren't really thinking about having the roof open either.

The drop is not DCI's, it belongs to Lucas Oil Stadium. I know for a fact that there IS a contingency plan for opening the roof, but the problem with that is that the black curtain must be down in order for the roof to be open, and that is an 8-hour job for the stadium staff. The roof itself opens and closes in under 15 minutes.

Tonight we'll be sitting 443 at $80 per ticket, which will likely be even worse.

Yep. Sat in 343 last night. Pretty awful.