Terrible Sound in Lucas

From a www.dci.org August 9, 2006 article concerning the move to Indy:

"How can DCI do this, without knowing what drum corps will sound like inside the stadium?

[...snip...]

The experience DCI has had now in three domes gives the organization significant confidence that a hard structure retractable roof will allow for a successful acoustical event, sight unseen. If the acoustics are indeed a problem at Lucas Oil Stadium, remedies to DCI’s satisfaction are included as a part of the agreement."

http://www.dci.org/news/view.cfm?news_id=9...05-38490654756a

• Replies 281
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I sat in sec 640 3 rows from bottom on the 48 side 2. Great line of sight for being as high up as I was -- in Madison or Bloomington I would have been MUCH further from the performers. I thought the sound was very acceptable with surprising clarity. Sound at both volume extremes were relatively clear. Two exceptions: loud crowd noise quickly covered the sound coming from corps; the lower bass drums were a bit muddled. Not perfect but not the disaster many experienced. I listened to a few corps from the the terrace level (which is pretty cool) and didn't think sound was the disaster many have expressed here. I did have to get used to ignoring the jumbotron on the spectator side; I was distracted quite a few times by a flash out of the corner of my eye.

Edited by corpsband

I sat in the temporary seats on the fifty, section 140, row 8 for semis and finals. The 15-20 rows of aluminum seats around three quarters of the stadium hide the problem that is creating the majority of the sound issues. These seats leave a 2 story concrete wall exposed sound wise for the corps to play into. Just imagine that those seats, curtains and people are not there for the purposes of sound because they do a poor job of preventing the sound from reaching the concrete wall, specifically the lower registers. That concrete was creating more echo and reverb of the 3-5 second variety than the roof. If nothing is done about the wall behind those seats, an open roof won't matter at all. Besides, the roof only opens half way, still leaving plenty of reflective surface for sound in the open position.

P.S. SCV wins the award for loudest low end synth support (very annoying and unnecessary) and HNC wins the loudest amplified pit award, drowning out the corps for half the show or more. Very sad. These mixes impact the impression of the performance a great deal and should be done by an actual member of the corps since the mix is being called from a remote location anyway and DCI now allows for 150 members. The mixer is as much a player as the kids in the pit these days.

Also found this article from Indy.com:

http://www.indy.com/posts/stadium-works-to...ics-for-chesney

“The (building authority) always had money in the budget to address acoustical issues, once we identified them,” said John Klipsch, executive director of the building authority. “We knew we wouldn’t identify them until after the building opened and a concert played here.”

So while the article refers to the Chesney concert, the same may be true for DCI. This may have been a sort of experiemental year to gauge the existing acoustics to see how to best improve them. In light of the dci.org article where they say it's in the contract to remedie the acoustics to DCI's satisfaction, I would say that's likely the case.

It also seems to give DCI an out if LOS can't correct the acoustics to their satisfaction.

I have to say when I sat in my seat for finals I was pretty upset. $75 for tickets 1 row from the back wall in section 642. I was expecting a horrible evening but let me tell you it could have been one of the best seats in the house. ...

I was one happy camper at the end of the show. And I'll probably ask for the same seats next year, just closer to the 50 yard line if possible.

I sat in sec 640 3 rows from bottom on the 48 side 2. Great line of site for being as high up as I was -- in Madison or Bloomington I would have been MUCH further from the performers. I thought the sound was very acceptable with surprising clarity.

You guys found what were probably the only acceptable seats, sound-wise. Unfortunately, there were a lot more spectators in acoustically worse sections.

Also found this article from Indy.com:

http://www.indy.com/posts/stadium-works-to...ics-for-chesney

“The (building authority) always had money in the budget to address acoustical issues, once we identified them,” said John Klipsch, executive director of the building authority. “We knew we wouldn’t identify them until after the building opened and a concert played here.”

So while the article refers to the Chesney concert, the same may be true for DCI. This may have been a sort of experiemental year to gauge the existing acoustics to see how to best improve them. In light of the dci.org article where they say it's in the contract to remedie the acoustics to DCI's satisfaction, I would say that's likely the case.

The only improvements I could imagine would be hundreds of sound-deadening assemblies with deep spikes for absorbing excess bass. I'm thinking of those test chambers used by NASA and automakers.

*edit* Ah, I wonder if Chesney's producer came to DCI to hear what it was like. It's certainly more challenging than a typical rock/country concert, what with multiple instruments playing different parts and always changing locations. */edit*

It also seems to give DCI an out if LOS can't correct the acoustics to their satisfaction.

Lucas Oil Stadium Sound = L.O.S.S. :satisfied:

Edited by Leland

Go for it, if you want, but from DCI's perspective, complaints may not matter as much as advance ticket sales and donations/FDCI memberships. If they see those crater from previous levels, that may help them make the decision more than complaints. And if those don't crater from previous levels, they may roll the dice and stay no matter how many complaints they get.

My guess is that DCI is very committed to staying at Lucas Oil for the duration of the contract, unless they see it as a threat to their survival. They moved their offices to Indy, and talked about a long-term partnership with the city! They want this to work. That's why I think dollars will speak more clearly than complaints. People complain about every venue.

Plus, we don't really know what the contract says, whether it really has an out after one or two seasons. That may be nothing more than a rumor.

agreed......unfortunately, DCI may turn a deaf ear to complaints unless they see attendance drops of 25-50% over the next few years........I also really do not know if opening the roof, or any other possible acoustic alterations, can fix the sound at Lucas...my gut tells me no, but I am not an acoustical design expert..........if they stay the hard course and nothing changes, there is zero doubt that attendance will dwindle, with the only question being how much...........

GB

agreed......unfortunately, DCI may turn a deaf ear to complaints unless they see attendance drops of 25-50% over the next few years........I also really do not know if opening the roof, or any other possible acoustic alterations, can fix the sound at Lucas...my gut tells me no, but I am not an acoustical design expert..........if they stay the hard course and nothing changes, there is zero doubt that attendance will dwindle, with the only question being how much...........

My guess is that DCI will give Indy a year - maybe two to try and fix the acoustics. If it still sucks then DCI will be able to exit the contract (according the article I posted above). The positive reviews of the experience at IU last year and the close proximity to DCI headquarters in Indy leads me to believe that if LOS doesn't work out, IU will be the new Madison.

I was one of the people that described the sound as "fine", or even better than "fine." I have 2 music degrees, to you tell me if my post was "authentic."

I heard plenty of bass drums.... and all the quiet playing..... and in some of the cut-offs, I thought the echo sounded amazing.

I guess my ears were just made differently than most of the other people's on DCP.

I also have a few music degrees....when brass lines played a chord progression, the bleed from one chord to the next, for me, was horrendous...........

GB

I found this interesting, Article mentioning $200K in acoustical upgrades for LOS, for an upcoming Kenny Chesney concert.

Don't know if it's too little to make a difference for drum corps or what ...

Edited by DCIHasBeen