Surprises and Disappointment

I wasn't in your theater but I would be willing to bet money that they were cheering for Crown beating them rather than Cavaliers losing. I really don't hear too much animosity directed toward Cavies. This is actually surprising given human nature and their recent successes. You probably don't want to get into a quality of sound argument with Crown this year. They will win.

I understand that theater's sound delivery is questionable, but I just think it is tough to follow HNC and CC in term of volume and intensity. They might do better to go after SCV tonight.

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Phantom was missing something. The half violin (red) that was really a rifle was kind of cool, but they should have had all of the rifle line spinning them. Not red ones, but white ones.

I agree with you about having everyone spinning the half red violin.

I would also had that they should have the main characters in a different color than they are - too close to white like the rest of the corps (except for miss red dress). They would stand out more.

Disappointments:

Questionable camera work in almost every show. Big hits were ignored for a view of the guard etc.

Price of concessions. I blew nearly $30 on this event and came an hour late. I had to eat Something since I was starving but jeez, it was ridiculous. Maybe next year DCI and the theaters can agree to throw in a bag of popcorn and pop in the ticket price.

Surprises:

I liked more shows than I thought I would. Yet I didn't LOVE any shows like in years past.

Good audience behavior at my theater. I thought it would be an annoying crowd but it was not. There was someone there with an infant which disturbed the show a few times, ironically enough during the Cadets show. Must like the older version better.

Phantom gave in and used synths. I must have missed the addition during the year but they didn't start the season with them.

The telecast went on with only one small blip in the feed. After hearing about the classic countdown I was worried that the telecast would have its share of mishaps.

One little kid blurted out "SPLOOIE" before the Cavies show. It was cute.

Disappointments:

The camera work was, and has been for many years, horrible. For the love of God, you don't have to do hyperactive MTV-like camera work to make drum corps look interesting! The camera NEVER stopped zooming and panning, and switching to other shots too quickly.

People were yelling way too much at the end of SCVs show. They play a whole note really loud. It's loud. People like it. I get it. But PLEASE, let me hear it!! There's no reason to yell.

Surprises:

BD- I'm starting to really like their electronics. Very well done.

Crown- In my opinion, better performance than Allentown, but farther away from BD in score.

HNC- I didn't think the performance was a good one, musically or visually. They looked nervous to me. How did that happen??

SCV- ####, what an awesome brass sound. Was perfect in the theater! Better than in person last week at Allentown!

Bluecoats- Lots of energy. Finally, I think they are going to peak at Finals.

Colts- I think they are most deserving of the number 12 slot, even though it's cool to see Troop there.

Was that Rodney Learned on snare in that Kilties clip?

SURPRISED: Blue Stars were scored 6th 18.70.

DISAPPOINTED: Crown was scored 19.00 5th and not 6th, over Blue Stars guard.

Typical East coast rant. Can you really care too much about winning in a competitive sport?

Obviously yes... I cant, and wont speak for the 2008 blue devils, but if they cared too much about winning (as you say is not a bad thing), then last year was a complete and utter failure. If, however, they care about other things, then the 2008 blue devils were a great success (as I feel they were). I thought this was fairly obvious to most corps fans though...i guess you needed it explained...