2009 World Quarterfinals

The following partial review was actually from someone else in "World of Pageantry" who requested their review be shared here since they don't have an account for here (yet?).

<<

Let me start by saying that the stadium is gorgeous. However, the acoustics do seem extremely muddy! Music in the lower register seemed to get lost amidst everything. Front Ensemble balance was noticeably different from corps to corps. I will write my review starting with the top 6.

First off, the scores.

1 Blue Devils 97.950

2 Carolina Crown 96.100

3 Holy Name Cadets 96.050

4 The Cavaliers 95.850

5 Santa Clara Vanguard 95.500

6 Bluecoats 92.650

7 Phantom Regiment 90.700

8 Boston Crusaders 90.350

9 Blue Stars 89.950

10 Glassmen 87.750

11 Blue Knights 87.000

12 Troopers 86.050

------------

13 Colts 85.150

14 The Academy 83.900

15 Madison Scouts 83.500

16 Crossmen 81.900

17 Spirit 80.700

------------

18 Mandarins 79.650

19 Pacific Crest 79.050

20 Jersey Surf 78.550

21 Pioneer 75.750

22 Cascades 74.950

Blue Devils

Program: "1930"

The show started off with some vintage radio clips. A lone guard member stood on the 30 (clever nuance) yard line and seemed to "take us back in time" as the drumline approached the 30 with a cadence. The solos were magnificent, and the opening impact was just phenomenal. "Happy Days" was a true highlight of the night. I appreciate the design behind this show. Not many people seem to understand the concept. The chairs add another dimension to the field. The front ensemble was outstanding. Best I've ever heard. The "Rhapsody" segment really got the crowd going. I loved the closer flag! A big fan on Piet Mondrian's art. The guard performs magnificently. They dance, they spin, they act, they toss, they do acrobatics. Whatever BD's guard does, it's better. And they do it better. And they extend beyond equipment work. This show is it. It is everything. Brilliant design with nearly flawless execution.

Carolina Crown

Program: "The Grass is Always Greener"

First off, I love the uniforms. They work well with the theme. Carolina Crown's show is without a doubt, the most demanding of the bunch. However, that's it. To me, they do brilliant things almost senselessly. Rifle tosses left and right. None of them having any relevance to what's happening. Their pit was overwhelming from an acoustics standpoint. To add on top of that, they played music that was distracting and didn't in any way compliment the brass. Keyboard runs, and chromatic patterns can be impressive, sure. However, how musical is that? The way Crown spins flags is also impressive. Some ideas make sense, but it does seem like a every section is performing their own show. That is my biggest rant about Crown. Great things. Executed well. But make no sense at all. That being said, I loved Puck! One of my favorite moments of the night. The screaming sopranos at the end of Puck made me stand in approval.

Holy Name Cadets

Program: "West Side Story: Resolution and Conflict"

Let me start by saying that I don't like the music of "West Side Story." Period. However, HNC was on fire! Their balance was remarkable, top to bottom. I think their percussion section will hold them back. There was tons of dirt, especially with their tenors. I absolutely love their ending. The high velocity drill was truly mesmerizing. Extremely impressive. If they can clean up even a bit, I think they will pass Crown immediately.

The Cavaliers

Program: "The Great Divide"

Wow! Extremely impressive brass sound from the Cavaliers! Best I've ever heard them. Their guard was on fire. I loved all the sound effects from the pit. The echo effects made me smile. Visually, their drill was easily the most appealing. Great job Michael Gaines. However, I don't understand why their impacts never truly "give it up to the crowd." I believe it's a fault on the design team. We're here, we're ready, now show us you kick ###! The Cavaliers have always seemed very reserved. However, I did enjoy their program very much. Loved the ending with the guard member "on top".

Santa Clara Vanguard

Program: "Ballet for Martha"

Gorgeous dresses. Nice uniforms. Holy CRAP!!! Listen to that sound!! So elegant, lush, lavish, rich, pure, dark, soulful. The company front had me on my feet. Well, that's it. The rest of the show seemed unremarkable to me. SCV, I will be honest. I do think you've sacrificed too much for the sake of "staying true" to the original composition. The show did not seem cohesive to me. Percussion...I don't know what to say. That drum break makes me scream in disapproval. Very talented mallet line that plays content that stops them from shining. Shame. But thank you for blowing my face off with that amazing company front. I shed a tear or two. It really was beautiful. Copland would be proud.

Bluecoats

Program: "Imagine"

Cerebral! Wow. This show was so intricate in terms of design. I enjoyed the uniform changes. However, those black props aren't hiding anything. I loved the brass sound. Very edgy and piercing. The musical selections entertained me. This show is extremely entertaining, with some creativity and imagination. Love the pig flags. So delightfully random. Great job today, bloooooo.

-------My Top 6 Scores-------

1) Blue Devils 98.1

2) Holy Name Cadets 96.0

3) Carolina Crown 95.5

3) Cavaliers 95.5

5) Santa Clara Vanguard 95.1

6) Bluecoats 92

--Brass Placements--

1) Santa Clara Vanguard

1) Blue Devils

3) Carolina Crown

4) Holy Name Cadets

5) Cavaliers

6) Bluecoats

--Percussion Placements--

1) Blue Devils

2) Cavaliers

3) Phantom Regiment

4) Bluecoats

5) Holy Name Cadets

6) Santa Clara Vanguard

--Guard Placements--

1) Blue Devils

2) Cavaliers

3) Holy Name Cadets

4) Carolina Crown

5) Santa Clara Vanguard

6) Bluecoats

Final thoughts--

I do think the Blue Devils are the best this year. Their show is on a level of creative inspiration that is unrivaled. Everything they do makes complete sense to me. The brass, guard, and percussion melt into a complete masterpiece performed to the highest caliber. Crown is a force to be reckoned with. I will look out for them in years to come. In terms of design, I do feel they have taken a step down compared to 2007. They are an impressive group of kids! Happy Birthday, HNC!

>>

Edited by Wildabeast

I agree with almost all of these thoughts. Those are my exact thoughts about Carolina Crown. I really just didn't know how to conlvey them.

"Brilliant things, done with precision, but with no relevance or purpose."

I'm glad I'm not the only art freak who recognized BD's closer flag. I feel less like a nerd now.

I don't completely agree with this reviewer's thoughts about Crown's percussion. I think their drumline deserves credit. They're rather impressive, and tuned the best, IMO. However, I do agree that their front ensemble is playing a book that isn't very musical at all.

Edited by do.it.up.

Unfortuanetly i was unable to make the trip to Indy, primarily because i live in Hawaii so i was relegated to watching it in a movie theatre with 250 h.s. kids who don't have alot of exposure to DCI. They were whispering through the first few shows and giggling but once it started getting good they were silent and by the time Phantom came on you could have heard a pin drop in that place which was pretty cool to see. On to the shows....I have enjoyed watching two shows this year quite a bit more then the others. One is SCV and did they wear that show out tonight! what an amazing performance from that hornline and it showed in the scoring. I am really looking at them to finish strong and possibly medal. The other show that I have liked and I think kind of got scored a little high tonight but that's ok by me is Crown. That horn book is really something else and they have taken full ownership of it and are just laying it on the line every night. This season reminds me of '93 when we had three corps (Cadets, Starr, and Phantom) that were just impeccable in their own right. Looks like Devils are going to win this thing going away which is ok because i think they are the best out there right now but beyond that...who knows how saturday will pan out.

I can't agree entirely agree with your assessment regarding the Blue Devils. They are the cleanest show on the field, but not by much. However if you look at all the shows over and over again, you come to the conclusion that 5 other corps have more difficult drills, some much more difficult. In the long run, this should tighten the scores,not open them up. If they win the title with a 98 or 99,then other corps will go to a conservative drill and focus on execution. This should be a 5 corps tossup, not a walk off with that drill.

I can't agree entirely agree with your assessment regarding the Blue Devils. They are the cleanest show on the field, but not by much. However if you look at all the shows over and over again, you come to the conclusion that 5 other corps have more difficult drills, some much more difficult. In the long run, this should tighten the scores,not open them up. If they win the title with a 98 or 99,then other corps will go to a conservative drill and focus on execution. This should be a 5 corps tossup, not a walk off with that drill.

For whatever reason, this is the standard by which the Visual world lives. To be fair, no one is telling these other units to march faster with bigger intervals and longer strides.

Usually, most corps respond to what is successful. Madison's "Cavies-lite" drill comes to mind. BD managed to "paint" their unique approach to jazz pretty well...since no one else has this same musical style, no one copies.

I don't really get it, either. They'll win DCI--and win BIG--and the crowd will be polite and maybe a little appreciative, but in the long run, this will be yet another forgotten BD show. (Even when the kids/staff wave their rings at us, we won't be too impressed.)

Edited by Swine

Well...if you can't execute your drill then you shouldn't win. just because something is "harder" doesn't make it more effective or better. Bottom line, if your members are struggling to make things work then back the show down....i haven't seen BD or any others for that matter, but know the activity well enough to understand that sometimes the designers overwrite to the point that the corps' performers physically are unable to do what they have been given at a level that will get that Ring.

Please reference The Cavaliers and "spin cycle". I'm sure anyone affiliated with that show who is grounded in reality will tell you that the drill they wrote was just something that was physically out of reach for their members to pull off. You know, writing fast drill just to make people run around all over the field doesn't mean its better than another corp's slower stuff.

From what i gather, the BD show is the most complete design out there and every year they have one of the best marching techniques (if note THE best out there). so their kids have the technique to pull off things and make it look much easier than another corps who may not be doing stuff as hard, but just look like its hard because they are runinng around like a flea circus!

As always...my 2 cents

Sure, the Devils are clean. That's because their show demand is not on a par with the other top corps (except for the last 45 seconds). And honestly, I'm not even sure how you judge "cleanliness" when several times during the show they have what appears to be scatter drill going to their next set for the chair placement.

Of course why wouldn't they be clean? THey have 70 freakin' chairs on the field providing visual markers for where to march! It's like adding 70 more hash marks on the field.

And I disagree drill that isn't executed well shouldn't win. I'd much rather watch a show with a bit of drill dirt in it that blows me away with velocity and difficulty, than watching the same, slow, follow-the-leader crap.

I also have to respectfully disagree about Spin Cycle. That show still blows me away with the sheer difficulty-- AND the hornline totally manages to sound great and balanced too. Sure the music isn't everyone's cup of tea, but hey. I think we forget drum corps is a VISUAL art- and visually Spin Cycle is stunning.

The marchers place the chairs. The chairs do not place the marchers. They make the show much more complicated for them. Imagine what it would be like with holes?

BD's show has demand. I don't see anything easy about it. They march as fast as 236 bpm with constantly changing tempos and meters, having to move chairs around.